Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

suddenly can't get to rockauto.com

Highlighted
Team Player

@Anieng05 wrote:

Have you tried accessing it via search engine instead of the web address bar?

yes

Highlighted
Team Player

@OCE_Chris wrote:

Hi andyfanshawe,

I can get on the site on my work PC, is it the home page that your can't access?

Chris

yes, and any other page on that site.

Highlighted
Super Duper Contributor

hi, it works with dns settings at 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 

try setting your dns settings manually in the router or on the pc to google's dns rather than talktalk's 

Thanks Stuart
Highlighted
Community Star

@stuart_smiles1 Can you read the thread before posting what has been suggested already?

Highlighted
Team Player

@stuart_smiles1 wrote:

hi, it works with dns settings at 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 

try setting your dns settings manually in the router or on the pc to google's dns rather than talktalk's 

That is the googles DNS, which we are using now.  No luck.

Interestingly did a tracert on cmd and it got all the way to wisconsin in America and stopped.

N5jyEX94

2Mor4Go

Highlighted
Team Player

Ha!  Google continually trying to load the page and this just appears

GvjXUTQTried to load up, but not quite....

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

OK, another little diagnostic test.

In your browser enter 12.179.90.230

You will probably get warning about invalid or mis-matching security certificates. You are obviously making an outbound request, and if you know (as you obviously do) and fully trust this web site, then ignore the warnings and proceed to the web site. How you ignore will be browser dependant, usually under advanced options.

The certificates will be for www.rockauto.com rather than specifically 12.179.90.230 which will be causing the reported mis-match.

Do you now see the site (in full) ?

Highlighted
Team Player

@Anonymous wrote:

OK, another little diagnostic test.

In your browser enter 12.179.90.230

You will probably get warning about invalid or mis-matching security certificates. You are obviously making an outbound request, and if you know (as you obviously do) and fully trust this web site, then ignore the warnings and proceed to the web site. How you ignore will be browser dependant, usually under advanced options.

The certificates will be for www.rockauto.com rather than specifically 12.179.90.230 which will be causing the reported mis-match.

Do you now see the site (in full) ?

Im not going to see it because that is the Ip address for rockauto and the tracert proves that we can't get that far.  And, as expected, we get the same message...."site can't be reached".

Thank you for your input though,

Is there someone on here who can forward this to the tech's at talk talk to perhaps help them along...or not, as the case may be.  The chances of me going back on live chat and speaking to johnalvin again are slim!!

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Using the IP address would bypass any DNS lookup and hence, hopefully, isolate the issue a little more.

If I run a tracert to the site, via the web address or IP address I also get time out messages from locations in the States. I guess that could just be a server set to not respond to ping type requests (for security).

But I can still successfully load the site whichever way I try.

OCE_Chris who is already on the thread is the person who will be able to escalate your issue.

Highlighted
Team Player

@Anonymous wrote:

Using the IP address would bypass any DNS lookup and hence, hopefully, isolate the issue a little more.

If I run a tracert to the site, via the web address or IP address I also get time out messages from locations in the States. I guess that could just be a server set to not respond to ping type requests (for security).

But I can still successfully load the site whichever way I try.

OCE_Chris who is already on the thread is the person who will be able to escalate your issue.

Thank you.

I'm finding it very hard to understand why you (and others) can access the site through talk talk, but I (and at least 1 other on here!!) cannot.

Today the site is loading up, but the munus are not working. So still useless.

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm finding it very hard to understand why you (and others) can access the site through talk talk, but I (and at least 1 other on here!!) cannot.

Well personally I still suspect it has something to do with the way your devices are resolving and/or storing the results of the DNS resolutions. You only have problems when you use the router, from your smartphone with wifi off (ie. bypassing the router) things are ok.

Everyone else can acces the site as (if my theory is anywhere near correct) by the time you reported the problem on these forums and other people tried accessing, the problem had already been cleared - but you still had some incorrect IP pointers somewhere.

It would be helpful if the other poster @PaulB1001 who said they were having problems could repost to say how they are getting on.

One final question, for clarification, when you cleared the caches etc. on your pc how did you clear the DNS cache (via command line prompt or using a utility program ?).

Highlighted
Team Player

@Anonymous wrote:

Well personally I still suspect it has something to do with the way your devices are resolving and/or storing the results of the DNS resolutions. You only have problems when you use the router, from your smartphone with wifi off (ie. bypassing the router) things are ok.

Everyone else can acces the site as (if my theory is anywhere near correct) by the time you reported the problem on these forums and other people tried accessing, the problem had already been cleared - but you still had some incorrect IP pointers somewhere.

It would be helpful if the other poster @PaulB1001 who said they were having problems could repost to say how they are getting on.

One final question, for clarification, when you cleared the caches etc. on your pc how did you clear the DNS cache (via command line prompt or using a utility program ?).

Hmmm......interesting.  Thank you for your comments.

I used the cmd commands to clear the DNS cache.  In fact johnalvin from talk talk live chat asked me to do that during our session.

Another bit of info that may be relevant:  The site ceased to respond about 4 weeks ago for about a day.  I just put it down to their website down or maintenance.  It was back the following day.  Nothing unusual about the devices use in our house during that time that may have caused it.

I have just borrowed a laptop from one of my friends who has never used our router, logged in to wifi and it didn't load the site.  It will do from his house though through his router.  Dont know if that tells us anything though!!!

Andy.

Highlighted
Team Player

Just tried to load it again and it appeared to fully load quite fast, but wouldn't really respond to anything.  Next reload,.....site cant be reached

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Definitely something unusual going on.

A little test - may prove something .......

Run the DNS flush again (ipconfig /flushdns) then run ipconfig /displaydns to make sure rockauto has been cleared.

Then try to access the rockauto site, followed by ipconfig /displaydns again and check that it is pointing to the correct site.

Are you still using Google DNS's ?

Hopefully @OCE_Chris will pick the thread up to progress this, but this being Friday and Monday being a Bank Holiday a response may take a short while.

Highlighted
Community Star

@andyfanshawe wrote:

I have just borrowed a laptop from one of my friends who has never used our router, logged in to wifi and it didn't load the site.  It will do from his house though through his router.  Dont know if that tells us anything though!!!

Curiouser and curiouser. Perhaps it is the router in some strange and mysterious way? Have you tried resetting it, or with a different router?

Highlighted
Team Player

@ferguson wrote:

@andyfanshawe wrote:

Curiouser and curiouser. Perhaps it is the router in some strange and mysterious way? Have you tried resetting it, or with a different router?

Thank you again.

Have certainly reset the router quite a few times!  Not got another one (talk talk wouldn't be that generous), but it could very well be the router.  

Needed to order some more parts, so set up my phone as a hotspot, connected to that from my laptop and straight in and ordering.  But we knew that already.  

Be interesting how this pans out.  I can certainly work round it, but .....need to know.  Lol!

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Another thought.

Have you tried contacting the site directly to ask if anyone else is reporting access problems - particularly since that outage you mention happened 4 week or so ago ?

Highlighted
Community Star

Well, if you can effectively use your phone as a router then that would support the argument. It certainly shows that it isn't a DNS issue. Which TalkTalk router do you have? Have you tried a pinhole reset?

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ferguson wrote:

It certainly shows that it isn't a DNS issue.

Could you run your logic past me please.

Highlighted
Community Star

Two devices connected to routers other than the one causing the problem do not have the issue otherwise. So no amount of flushing appears to make a difference. You?