FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Block a MAC Address on My Router

sioux2
First Timer
Message 11 of 11

No-one can access my router (in theory) including myself half the time.  I live in a detached property and the router is in the middle of the house, off the floor and not close to any electrical equipment.  I have a wi-fi booster.  I use a laptop most of the time, and sometimes have the SMART TV on instead.  Even when I sit in front of the router, my wi-fi keeps dropping out.  There is no other equipment on my network.  I do NOT have a mobile.  Cannot get a signal on any SMART TV, constantly buffering.  For the last week my internet connection has been seriously appalling - since last Thursday, so before Storm Arwen (before Talk Talk blames the weather).  My speed tests are often returning speeds of 1.0 Mbps (I should be getting 35).  Anyway, yesterday I spotted an unknown computer on my network.  Then I spotted an unknown mobile.  I have had this happen before with my previous provider, so am used to blocking MAC addresses on the router, as changing passwords has not helped.   This morning the mobile keeps popping up on my network.  Every time it does my internet drops out.  I cannot get on any websites for more than 5 minutes.  It's driving me mad.  No point in ringing Talk Talk because I never get anywhere and you keep telling me all is okay and talking to me like I am an idiot.  I am unable to find out how to block a MAC address on my TalkTalk router.  Any ideas?  Thank you.

0 Likes
10 REPLIES 10

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 1 of 11

Hi @sioux2 

To set up MAC address filtering, go to:-

Dashboard > See Wi-Fi Settings > Manage Advanced Settings > Wi-Fi 2.4Ghz gear icon > MAC Filter

Then repeat for the 5GHz band.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Message 2 of 11

No Problem 🙂

Test for a few hours when the new router arrives and let me know.

Karl 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

Message 3 of 11

Thanks Karl.  I look forward to receiving new router.   I'm not convinced this will resolve my issue, but willing to give anything a go.  So many problems for so long with speeds and resilience.  

0 Likes

Message 4 of 11

Hi Keith, I am assuming TalkTalk will just send me an exact replacement (i.e. same router), so would still appreciate knowing how to block a MAC address as I cannot find this anywhere on the router's settings page.  It is always good to know how to do things, so if you are able to tell me, that would be great 🙂  I have been going around in circles with regard to unreliable broadband/wi-fi for 4 plus years, and have had several replacement routers over that time.  Can't believe the router is the problem.  Probably congestion/insufficient capacity.  Thanks, Keith

0 Likes

Message 5 of 11

Hi

i'll swap out the router for you and see if this improves stability and wifi performance in general.

The router will; not automatically purge it's list so a previous device may show in the list for a while.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 6 of 11

If you are going to try a replacement router, there is no point in me telling you how to do this on your Sagemcom.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

Message 7 of 11

Yes, Karl I would like to try a replacement.  My connection has been pretty bad since I joined you in the early summer.  Always dropping out.  Thank you for explaining the unidentified devices issue, but how come they are on there for protracted periods - i.e. every time I refresh my network page?  It seems co-incident with my internet connection dropping out.

0 Likes

Message 8 of 11

Hi Keith, I have a Sagemcom Fast 5364 router and wi-fi hub

0 Likes

Karl-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 9 of 11

Hi

With your sagemcom router or any router for that matter, it is not unusual to see other devices listed in your network from time to time. Some devices whether automatically of manually, that are nearby, either in your home or neighbour's etc, may attempt to connect or discover the connection and perform a partial handshake, this is where info is exchanged such as device type or manufacturer etc, and without the proper credentials these are then refused. So this does not mean that any unauthorized device is connected to your wifi, just that they have for want of a better description... knocked on the door 🙂

They have not been let in.  You can block a mac address or IP in some routers but this will not always stop the device from showing up from time to time.

With regard to the router dropping the connection however this is another matter. Would you like to try a replacement Hub to see if the stability of the connection can be improved ?

Thanks  

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 10 of 11

Which make/model of TalkTalk router do you have?

Keith