cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

Contract Breakage Fee

AlanHudson1
First Timer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 6

I’m being charged £168 for leaving TalkTalk. 
I was a Shell broadband customer. Joint in 2021. TalkTalk took over Shell broadband & my contract started with TalkTalk on May 9th 2024. 
How can they charge me anything for leaving. What happened to the 30 day cooling off period when taking out or forced to take up a new contract? 
I was told in emails from TalkTalk that the take over would be smooth & there was nothing that I needed to do. 
I have found a better deal elsewhere & I will not be paying any breakage fees. 

0 Likes
5 REPLIES 5

Message 1 of 6

Just to confirm that the contract status is carried over, you are not renewed and put into a new contract.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 6

@star5772, Talktalk has taken over these ex Shell services, so thereby takes over that contract.

If you need any help in your own case, please start your own thread.

You would need to return to the message board and click on start a topic. 

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

star5772
First Timer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 6

your lucky you had corresponding emails from them, I had nothing and found a bill from them in my emails.

I also think it is really bad they assume you wish to start a new contract with them and not give you the option of leaving without penalty.

surely if you are with another provider and that provider is taken over by someone else they just take over the account! NOT TIE you into another contract, that is underhand! 

I think I will be phoning trading standards if not the ombudsman!

0 Likes

Arne-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 4 of 6

Hi AlanHudson1

Your contract start and end date will have been carried over from Shell, so if you are still in contract the fee's are calculated from that. The service/price  will not be affected accept for the change in owners.

Sorry for any inconvenience 

0 Likes

Divsec
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 5 of 6

Hi @AlanHudson1 I suggest calling 03451720088 saying you are planning on leaving. They should help you to the correct resolution.

Please let us know how you get on. 

I don't work here and all my opinions are my own.
0 Likes