cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

Download speed more than halved on fibre 65

fire2burn
Participant
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 22 of 22

I have fibre 65 via a dsl-3782 router provided by talktalk. Previously I was getting 50Mbps download however over the past week this has now dropped to a paltry 23Mbps which is completely substandard for what I am paying for. The current link rate displayed in the router dashboard is just a mere 14272/24999 Kbps.

I have used the live connection test and it identified a fault, however it doesn't specify what the fault is only that a case has been opened (Reference: REP-14603239). It's now been stuck saying they will have an update for me in 5 minutes for the past 2 days. I tried the live chat which was just awful. Constantly being passed pillar to post from different chat handlers and now even that doesn't work. The track my fault page now just links me to the run a speed test page which then sends me back to the track my fault page, repeat ad infinitum.

I have tried turning the router off, tried swapping the microfilter, tried factory reset via the pinhole button on the back, tried plugging it into the master socket test slot and nothing has made any difference. Still stuck with this dreadfully slow speed.

0 Likes
21 REPLIES 21

Message 1 of 22

Morning,

I'm really glad to hear this 🙂

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 2 of 22

It's remained stable at 55Mbps, so seems to be sorted for the time being with no further drop outs or slow downs. 

0 Likes

Message 3 of 22

Hi @fire2burn 

How's the connection been since your last post?

0 Likes

Message 4 of 22

Morning,

We'll check back in with you again on Monday just to check that the connection/speed is still ok and that the fault has been fully resolved.

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 5 of 22

No he didn't replace anything. Just said there was nothing he could do for the fault and the cable to the house would need to be replaced. Then later that evening the speed increased again and I had a text from Talktalk saying that they'd applied a solution. 

0 Likes

Message 6 of 22

Good morning,

Thank you for the update. The last update advises that the fault was located at the main socket. Did the engineer replace the socket?

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 7 of 22

Not heard anything from Openreach, but I have received a text message from Talktalk that a 'solution was applied'. Speed is now back up to 55Mbps. Is there any way of finding out what the solution to the problem was in case it reoccurs? 

0 Likes

Message 8 of 22

Hi

Sorry to hear this. Openreach will relay this back internally to their teams to arrange for Dig work to be scheduled and allow the  faulty joint to be repaired.

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 9 of 22

The engineer came out this afternoon but he's said he will not be able to fix the issue. Apparently there's a fault somewhere on the cable between the chamber in the street and where it enters my house. He said he suspects there was a repair done on the line at some point in the past and the repair is now likely starting to fail probably due to water ingress. Will need to arrange for a crew to come out and dig from the chamber to my house to lay a new cable.

0 Likes

Message 10 of 22
0 Likes

Message 11 of 22

Thankyou very much for your prompt and helpful assistance. I'll update after the engineer has visited.

Message 12 of 22

Hi @fire2burn 

Thanks for your reply 🙂

I've arranged the engineer visit for 14/08 AM (8am - 1pm)

Please let us know how you get on following this visit.

Thanks again.

Debbie

Message 13 of 22

Tuesday, Wednesday or Friday am or pm for any of those days this week would be great thanks. 

Message 14 of 22

Hi @fire2burn 

Please can you provide a couple of days availability AM and PM? I can then arrange the engineer visit to the property.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 15 of 22

@fire2burn, once you get through the initial bot questions you will be put through to an agent during live Chat hours.

Staff won't be back on here before Monday. 

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.

Message 16 of 22

An openreach engineer came out on Saturday whilst I was at work. They left a voicemail saying they needed access to my property so it's been passed back to talktalk to make an appointment. I received a message to book said appointment however the live chat system to book it just seems to be some sort of AI chat bot and can't give me any sort of definitive answer as to whether an appointment has actually been made now or what date or time it will be, I need to confirm a date so I can make sure I'm not at work when the engineer needs to visit. The dashboard isn't updating and still just says book an engineer appointment. 

0 Likes

Message 17 of 22

Hi

This looks to be somewhere on the copper line.  I've requested a non appointed engineer, so no appointment needs to be agreed with you.  this will be passed to the local field engineer to check the status of the line.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 18 of 22

Thanks for looking into it, I was getting nowhere with the live chat. Hopefully Openreach can find out what's gone wrong then. Does this possibly mean a fault at the cabinet or on the copper line that leads to my house?

0 Likes

Message 19 of 22

Hi

Tests are showing an earth fault on the copper side of the line.

I've logged this to Openreach so they can take a look.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

Message 20 of 22

I do not use a landline phone, I haven't owned one for nearly a decade now. Nothing else plugged in other than the router. There seems to be no issues with the stability of the connection, no dropouts occurring. It's just that the connection link rate is glacial. Previously when the router has been reset it would stabilise at around 49999Kbps and remain solid for months with no issues. 

0 Likes