FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Faster fibre with speed boost - Speeds

Swan1
Team Player
Message 34 of 34

Hello,

I have recently taken the faster fibre with speed boost package. In the last 2-3 days, saw some buffering and delays on the videos so investigated a bit.

1. Speedtest.net showed the download speeds in the range of 35-37 Mbps over a period of several hours

2. Contacted customer service via chat. Some diagnostics were run, and now speed shows around 40 Mbps.

3. The agent informed me that the minimum guaranteed speed for faster fibre with speed boost is 34.2 Mbps. Not sure if this is correct.

4. Ran a check here : https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL/AddressFeatureProduct. Output as below

Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) HighDownstream Line Rate(Mbps) LowUpstream Line Rate (Mbps) HighUpstream Line Rate (Mbps) LowDownstream HandbackThreshold(Mbps)WBC FTTC Availability DateWBC SOGEA Availability Date
VDSL Range A (Clean) 76.8552014.549AvailableAvailable
VDSL Range B (Impacted)74.5492012.640AvailableAvailable

5. When logged into the router, the dashboard section shows download speed of 43.0 Mbps 

6. Logged into the router -> TalkTalk Wi-Fi Hub -> xDSl -> Line 1 Actual Rate [Kbps] is 42992, Maximum Rate [Kbps] is 48839.

Does this mean while my line has a capacity to reach upto 76.8 Mbps, it is capped around 49 Mbps and I am unable to get more than 43 (or 40) Mbps ? What are the minimum guaranteed speeds for faster fibre with speed boost? How do I get the "right" speeds?

0 Likes
33 REPLIES 33

Message 1 of 34

Hello, never heard back on this. Please advise.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 34

Hello @Michelle-TalkTalk @Chris-TalkTalk 

What should be our next step(s), please advise.

Thanks!

0 Likes

Message 3 of 34

Hello,

The line is synced up at 59.1 Mbps, but speeds are still hovering around 40-43 Mbps (speedtest results). Kept the router switched off overnight on the weekend and restarted, but no avail. Please advise.

Thanks!

0 Likes

Message 4 of 34

Hi @Michelle-TalkTalk 

The OpenReach engineer visited (although the visit was cancelled already) and changed the wall sockets and investigated in the house and many places outside. Now sync up speed is 61 Mbps however still stuck at 43 - 46 Mbps when it comes to the actual speed. 

Kindly investigate from your side and let me know.

P.S. There was a time in the day today when the speed had dropped to 3.5 Mbps and restarting the router fixed the problem. This was prior to the engineer's visit.

Thanks!

0 Likes

Message 5 of 34

Hi,

I'm sorry for the delay. I can see that the fault has been re-raised to Openreach, please let us know how you get on.

Thanks

Message 6 of 34

@Chris-TalkTalk Many thanks. I got texts, one stating an engineer has been sent, and other stating you are checking in after the visit and think I may be still experiencing problems. I am currently getting 44 Mbps. I tried to follow the link that was shared in the text (https://www.talktalk.co.uk/help/servicestatus), and I see this. Kindly advise.

Swan1_0-1606147528301.png

Thanks!

0 Likes

Message 7 of 34

Hi Swan1,

Line test is now picking up a potential issue so I've raised this as a non-appointed task. Openreach will investigate over then next 72 hours, they may contact you directly if they need to access your home

Chris

Message 8 of 34

@Chris-TalkTalk @Michelle-TalkTalk 

Still stuck at around 45-47 Mbps. Have changed the sockets as well. What should be the next steps?

Thanks!

0 Likes

Message 9 of 34

16:45 - sync speed 51.6 Mbps, speedtest 39.29 Mbps

18:10 - sync speed 51.6 Mbps, speedtest 47.46 Mbps

22:50 - sync speed 51.6 Mbps, speedtest 47.72 Mbps

Please advise.

Thanks!

0 Likes

Message 10 of 34

OK thanks for trying that, sync speed is currently 50.7Mbps. The throughput speeds that you are getting are well above the guaranteed minimum. Could you run two or three more speed  tests through the evening and let us know how you get on

Chris

Message 11 of 34

@Chris-TalkTalk done, switched off the router, removed wires from the socket for 40 minutes, everything connected back 30 minutes ago. Speedtest showing 47 Mbps.

Thanks!

0 Likes

Message 12 of 34

Could you switch your router off and leave it off for at least 30 minutes, then switch back on and retest

Chris

Message 13 of 34

@Chris-TalkTalk @Michelle-TalkTalk 

I have now plugged the router in the main telephone socket since yesterday night. Currently stuck at 50 Mbps download and 15 Mbps upload.

Thanks!

0 Likes

Message 14 of 34

Hi @Chris-TalkTalk 

I have got 2 telephone sockets. There is nothing else connected in these sockets, not even the phone.

Thanks!

0 Likes

Message 15 of 34

Hi Swan1,

How many telephone sockets do you have? Do you have anything connected to your telephone socket(s) in addition to your router?

Chris

Message 16 of 34

Hi Michelle,

Sorry for the delay in responding back.

The normal socket started working when I mounted it back in the wall. The speeds drop significantly, back to 41 Mbps

I put the router back in the test socket, speeds increased to 63 Mbps. 

Please advise. The router is in the test socket at the moment.

Video calls - slightly improved. They are always on the WiFi connection.

Thanks!

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 17 of 34

Hi Swan1,

Thanks for the update. If the router will only connect in the test socket then this would indicate a possible issue with the faceplate or internal wiring. I've re-run the line test again now which is still clear and the sync speed looks consistent. What speeds are you seeing at the moment if you run a speed test?

When you experience the latency on video calls, is the device connected wired or wireless?

Thanks

Message 18 of 34

Hi @Michelle-TalkTalk 

I am not getting internet in the master socket. Only test socket is working, and speeds remain the same. I observe some video clarity lag during video calls.

Thanks!

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 19 of 34

Hi Swan1,

I'm sorry for the delay in getting back to you. The connection now looks stable for 48hrs. Have you now been able to connect ok at the master socket since your last post? In regards to the speed, do you still experience the buffering on videos since your first post? How has the overall performance of the connection been?

Thanks

Message 20 of 34

Also as an FYI, I tried to hook the router in the normal telephone socket (not the test one), and internet is not available. Not sure if this has been done intentionally or there is any new problem.

0 Likes