cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

Fibre 65 was better on copper.

celynen
Chat Champion
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 22 of 22

Been on fibre 65 for a few months now, and to be honest I wish they had kept me on the old copper connection, which was more reliable and for the most part faster. Sometime on fibre my wifi speeds are below 3mbps and at best about 32mbps.

The chap who install the fibre did a very untidy job of it, he didn't put it where I wanted, like follow the old copper route, his excuse was that he wasn't allowed to work off a ladder, and he didn't even remove the copper cables. 

I hope my experience is a one off, I wouldn't want anyone else to put up with what I have.

Regards, John.

0 Likes
21 REPLIES 21

Message 1 of 22

Hi

So glad the new router has helped.

Regards,

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 22

New router finally arrived and wifi signal very much improved. So thank you very much for your help with this issue. 

Regards, from a Very pleased John.

Message 3 of 22

Hi Celymen,

So sorry to hear this.  I've requested a router via our manual process here.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 22

Router didn't arrive.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 22

You're Welcome 🙂

Test when it arrives, and let me know here if there is any improvement

Regards 

Karl 

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

Message 6 of 22

Thank you very much.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 22

Hi

It does sound as though the router is not performing as it should.

I'll get a replacement router out to you, so we can see if this is the case.

Regards,

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

Message 8 of 22

I am in the same room as the router about 3 mtrs. away, line of sight no obstructions. My wife getting the same speeds on her mobile phone. Thanks for your suggestions.

I don't know or understand anything about these routers, just wondering if the wireless part of it is functioning at full power?

0 Likes

Message 9 of 22

Hi

Wifi connections will always be a little slower than a wired connection, but other things can also cause the speed to be lower, there is the distance from the router, the thickness of walls the signal has to penetrate, and there is the device itself, some older devices may have slower wifi adapters.

So when testing bear this in mind.  If you test with a device that you know will achieve faster speeds over wifi, and are a couple of meters away from the router and speeds are still low, then it could be the router itself at fault.

Karl.

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

Message 10 of 22

I've tried all channels on the router, settled with channel one, which gave me the slightly faster speed of 35/36mbps, which is around half the speed of a wired connection. Is this normal?

0 Likes

Message 11 of 22

Hi,

OK, see how it goes.  If you have an android phone there are free apps such as wifi analyzer etc that can show the wifi channels around you so you can choose the least congested one.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

Message 12 of 22

Ok Karl, I'll try that, at the moment I've set the channel to auto.

0 Likes

Message 13 of 22

Hi

I've turned off wifi optimisation.  Try logging into the router and changing the wifi channel to see if this gives better performance.

Change your wireless channel - TalkTalk Help & Support

Thanks  

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

Message 14 of 22

Yes that's the one.

0 Likes

Message 15 of 22

Hi

The router - the Sagemcom model is referred to as the WiFi Hub, are you currently using the Sagemcom router ?

Thanks  

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

Message 16 of 22

Not sure what you mean by wifi hub, but we do use wifi mostly.

0 Likes

Message 17 of 22

Hi,

Thanks for testing this. So it's the wireless speeds which are much lower. Are you using the wifi hub? Would you like us to try switching off the wifi optimisation to see how the wireless connection compares?

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 18 of 22

Speeds over wifi with mobile phone very close to router 34.9mbps.

0 Likes

Message 19 of 22

Just run a speed test wired to the router and speeds are equally as good as from the ONT.

0 Likes

celynen
Chat Champion
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 20 of 22

Michelle, at the ONT speeds reading 74.3 mbps, which is great. But because where the open teach man positioned the ONT a long cable is required to reach the router,

0 Likes