FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Speed Boost

larrywilkie
Whizz Kid
Message 148 of 148

Good afternoon,

I have purchased the Fibre Speed Boost (about three weeks ago), but I haven't seen any improvement in my download speed.

Speed tests consistently return download speeds of around 38mbps, which is what I was getting prior to the boost being added, although I believe I was told I could get up to 72mbps (I do understand that this is a maximum figure and unlikely to be achieved).

Is there anything that can be done to see if I can achieve higher speeds than 38mbps, as if it is not possible, then the boost isn't worth keeping.

Many thanks

Larry 

0 Likes
147 REPLIES 147

Message 41 of 148

Hi Debbie,

Yes, I am currently using 3 adaptors and they were all purchased from Talk Talk.

Larry

0 Likes

Message 42 of 148

Hi Larry

Did you purchase the powerline adapters from TalkTalk?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 43 of 148

Hi Debbie,

I managed to get the laptop tonight and ran a series of tests, which hopefully you can see at your end?

The first 3 were with the laptop connected with a cable direct into the router.

The next three were the laptop connected to a cable from a powerline adaptor.

The next six were all laptop on Wi Fi, the first three in another room, then three with the laptop in the same room as the router (these were very inconsistent).

The last three were on the desktop connected to the same cable as the one used on the laptop.

As you can see there is a significant improvement when the laptop was connected direct to the router, with results at the sort of level I would expect.

Regards

Larry

0 Likes

Message 44 of 148

Hi Debbie,

Unfortunately not.

I can see if I can borrow that laptop again sometime but it won't be in the next couple of days.

Larry

0 Likes

Message 45 of 148

Hi Larry

Do you have a device you can connect now (wired) to run a speed test on with the powerline adapters removed?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 46 of 148

Hi Debbie, I did a while back on a borrowed laptop, and that didn't show much improvement in speed.

Unfortunately I don't have access to this laptop very often, but the checks he did this morning were run with me watching, and these were the results he got.

0 Likes

Message 47 of 148

Hi Larry

You previously ran a speed test with just the router and computer connected wired? (no powerlines) and the speed was still low?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 48 of 148

Hi Debbie,

The Engineer has completed his checks, and we also ran a speed check on a laptop plugged directly into the router.

The speed check on the laptop came in at approx. 62mbps, which is the kind of speeds I would expect.

We then ran another speed check on the laptop from the nearest powerline adaptor to the router, and this came in at just over 30mbps.

We then ran a third check over Wi Fi on the laptop, and in the same room as the router it was just over 50mbps, but then slowing the further we moved away (as you would expect).

The conclusion that the Engineer has come to is that it is the powerline adaptors that are slowing the download speed to the desktop and other connected items. 

Larry

0 Likes

Message 49 of 148
0 Likes

Message 50 of 148

Hi Debbie,

Thank you very much.

I'll post an update on here.

Thanks again

Larry

0 Likes

Message 51 of 148

Hi Larry

The engineer visit has been arranged for tomorrow (19th) AM (8am - 1pm)

Please let us know how you get on following this visit.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 52 of 148

Hi Larry

Thank you for your reply.

I've passed your availability for an engineer visit over to our Network Team and I will post back on this thread to confirm the date and time of this visit.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 53 of 148

Ok thanks Debbie.

I'll make sure that is done.

Larry

Message 54 of 148

Hi Larry

Yes the engineer can complete checks. I would advise running a speed test when the engineer is there with just one wired device so they can see the results.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 55 of 148

Hi Debbie,

Sorry, I thought I had replied!!

Will the Openreach engineer check everything that a TT Engineer would have checked as well?

Just wanted to make sure it wasn't a case of having a TT Engineer out as well if the Openreach Engineer couldn't find anything.

If the Openreach Engineer is going to check everything then yes I would still like to go ahead.

Thank you

Larry

0 Likes

Message 56 of 148

Hi Larry

Did you have a chance to look at my last post in regards to the engineer visit? (change from TT engineer to Openreach) Would you still like to go ahead with a visit?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 57 of 148

Hi Larry

The potential charge for the TT engineer is £40. We are now looking to arrange an Openreach engineer visit instead.

During your appointment the Openreach engineer will carry out checks to see whether you have a fault in your property or garden. If the fault is outside of your property, they will carry out the necessary work on the Openreach network and the exchange. It will appear on your bill as Engineer charge. The maximum potential charge for this visit is £65.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 58 of 148

Hi Debbie,

I can confirm I have checked charges and will be up to £40.

I am free all day tomorrow, Thursday 18th in the morning, all day Friday 19th, Monday 22nd in the morning, Wednesday 24th in the afternoon or Thursday 25th all day.

Hope one of these is suitable?

Shall I go back to using my WiFi Hub, as I was getting faster download speeds through that?

Larry

0 Likes

Message 59 of 148

Hi Larry

Our Network Team would like to arrange an Openreach engineer visit.

Please can you confirm possible engineer charges and provide your availability for this visit AM and PM?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 60 of 148

Hi Debbie,

I've switched Wi Fi off so that nothing is connected via that, and no other devices running currently apart from this desktop PC.

Just run another check and download speed 14.8

Larry

0 Likes