FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre contract upgrade query

KevinJH
Conversation Starter
Message 16 of 16

Quick question;  I'm currently on a contract for 'Faster Fibre' that, when it's running as opposed to continually dropping out, reaches the dizzying speeds of as much as 2mbps (and never the "guaranteed speed" of 4mbps).  I've just noticed that I'm being encouraged to sign a new contract (which ends in Jan. '22) for the new (and renamed ?) Fibre 35 - quoting a d/load speed of 67mbps.

Would this mean a change in physical connection ?  I'm currently connected via the existing 'phone line after being  previously advised it's not possible to have a dedicated fibre cable installed (even though the next door neighbours have Sky via a fibre cable).  Does that mean where I live (I can supply exact details via p.m. if required) I'm now able to have such a fibre cable installed or is there a new type of router being rolled out ?

Appreciate any help/advice on this 😉

TIA

Kevin H.

0 Likes
15 REPLIES 15

Message 1 of 16

Hi Kevin

Thanks for confirming your details.

I have arranged the engineer visit for 14/05 AM (8am - 1pm)

Please let us know how you get on following this visit.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 2 of 16

Hi Kevin

I'm just sending you a Private Message to confirm some details so we can arrange this visit.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 3 of 16

Yes please.

Thank-you,

K.

Message 4 of 16

Hi Kevin

Thank you 🙂

I've completed another line test which is still detecting the same fault.

Would you like me to arrange an Openreach engineer visit?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 5 of 16

Hi Debbie

Line is now plugged into the test socket ready for you to re-test.

If you could let me know when finish, I'll put it back to the way it was - thank-you.

Kevin

Message 6 of 16

Hi Kevin

Would it be ok to connect the router at the test socket so I can run another line test in this set up?

In regards to a DLM reset, this would need to be arranged by an engineer. As the line test is detecting a fault this would need to be resolved by Openreach first.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 7 of 16

Hi Debbie - thanks for doing that for me, appreciate it.

You ask if the router is connected to the test socket;  no, it's just in it's normal position on the face-plate of the Master Socket 5C.  I seem to recall in the past that I have to remove the plate and plug into a socket behind the plate - can you confirm that is the case here please and I'll revert when it's done.

Somewhere in the dim and distant past (December '19 I think) an Openreach engineer came round for the exact same problem i.e. very low line speed and he was able to resolve the problem almost instantly by calling his Helpdesk to reset something called a 'DLM' - maybe if they could try that first before having to do a home visit ? Just a thought anyway - might save their time and someone's money 😉

Anyway - yes, I would appreciate the Openreach engineers to have a closer look if they're unable to try the above first, thank-you.

Kind regards,

Kevin

0 Likes

Message 8 of 16

Hi KevinJH

I've completed a line test as you have advised that the speed is low and connection is dropping.

The line tests are detecting a possible fault towards the property and Openreach are requesting that we arrange an engineer visit.

Is the router currently connected at the test socket? Would you like me to arrange an engineer visit?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 9 of 16

Fibre to the home is not the same as Fibre 35 or Fibre 65.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

KevinJH
Conversation Starter
Message 10 of 16

Well, talk about coincidence - just in the last ten minutes I've had an email from TalkTalk stating that they are now supplying "fibre to the home broadband" in my area.  I wonder, if I speak to someone about winning lottery ticket numbers......😁

0 Likes

Message 11 of 16

HI @KevinJH 

This is what you are looking for or something similar:-

Fibre Cabinet.png

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

Message 12 of 16

@Breslin2 

Please start your own topic if you need help.

You cannot piggyback on this one.

0 Likes

Message 13 of 16

I got Fibre 35 installed two weeks ago but can only get speeds of 8 to 14mb. An Openreach Engineer visited and made some adjustments and the speed rose to 32mb. However the next day it fell back to 8 - 14mb. Talk Talk have said they are working on improving this but unfortunately I've had no feedback. I understand that I can cancel without penalty  if they are unable to fix this. 

0 Likes

KevinJH
Conversation Starter
Message 14 of 16

Hi Keith - thanks for replying and not terribly surprised by what you've indicated.  Regarding my 'alleged' nearest fibre cabinet, I had a BT OpenReach chappie in last time I had a problem and bearing in mind I live in a small town, he said that I was hooked up to one that's about a mile and a half away !  Even though I can walk around the neighbourhood and pick out another three or four that are a lot closer, I presume that although they're metal, green and full of connector blocks - they're just not for fibre....  😞

Thanks again 😉

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 15 of 16

Fibre 35 is identical to what you have now, it as you suspected just faster fibre renamed & offers download speeds of UP TO 40M. Fibre 65 offers a download speed of UP TO 80M. To get such a slow speed from fibre currently, how far do you live from your fibre cabinet, 1Km or something!

Keith