FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HG633 Wireless Issue

Unreal
Conversation Starter
Message 26 of 26

I'm having an issue where devices just drop off of the HG633 wireless connection, sometimes they return, sometimes they do not.

An example is the printer, when the issue occurs even rebooting the printer doesn't bring it back.

I started thinking it was specifically the printer however other devices started disappearing too.

As a test whilst four devices vanished I rebooted the HG633 (after making sure rebooting the printer didn't resolve that one) and after the reboot all the devices were then accessible.

The actual Internet connection and speed is good and stable.

Are there any similar known issues? I did try searching before posting but the HG633 is mentioned quite a lot.

0 Likes
25 REPLIES 25

Message 21 of 26

What happens if you do a Wireshark trace on the laptop, do you see the ARP response come back?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Unreal
Conversation Starter
Message 22 of 26
Yes, currently I have -33dBm on 2.4GHz and -45dBm on 5G

The signal to the SSID isn't the issue as far as I can tell.

The printer can see the SSID, connect to it, get an IP, reports between 86-100% signal but if you try and get to it there's no layer 2 between for example a laptop and it, no MAC address is seen on the laptop for the printer like the router is not forwarding it on the ARP request.
0 Likes

Message 23 of 26

I can never know people's skill sets unless they tell me. I assume you have run a WiFi analyser on this, as it is probably the first diagnostic step to take?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

Unreal
Conversation Starter
Message 24 of 26

Hi Keith,

Yes, familiar with all of that as have deployed Cisco, Meraki and Aruba corporate wireless solutions 🙂

I put the printer in the same room as the access point (a meter or so away) and the printer was reporting a 100% signal at the time of the issue, it was connected to the SSID and could get an IP address but nothing could reach it.

So that I can answer your questions and gather statistics I've relabelled the 5GHz SSID as requested.

Thanks,

Unreal.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 25 of 26

Slow speed, intermittent dropouts, breaks in the signal, or no signal on some or all devices, might be caused by Wi-Fi interference from other local networks, which can also lead to a permanent reduction in speed. No ISP can be responsible for your local environment, this is mainly a by-product of the popularity of Wi-Fi.

However, other factors should be investigated first. When this happens, what are the lights showing on the front of the router? Do you have any wired connections & if so, how do they perform?

The HG633 is a dual-band router & offers both the older 2.4GHz & the newer 5GHz Wi-Fi bands. The problem is these are two different networks (SSIDs), but they share the same name, so you can't tell which one you are connected to. Log into the router (http://192.168.1.1) and enter a username of "admin" and use the unique router password (see the label on the rear of the router at the top).

Go to:-
"Customise my wireless network"

Append "5G" to the end of the network name of the "Wireless 5 GHz SSID" field. Then click "Save".

This will not fix your issues, but it will make it much easier to identify the band you are connected to. This way you will know which band is causing your problems.

An alternative is to use band steering. This will automatically move any 5GHz capable device to the 5GHz band, providing better performance for the device & fewer devices are then subject to the interference on the 2.4GHz band. To enable this, first set both SSIDs to the exact same name. Then go to:-

Home Network > Wireless Settings > Enable Wireless Network Frequency Bands

Then put a tick against Enable Band steering.

Generally speaking, the 2.4GHz band suffers much more from interference than the 5GHz band, but the 2.4GHz one can sometimes have a better range, but this all depends on your local area.

You may then wonder what was really the point of this if it won't solve the problem? This is because the whole topic is too complex to be dealt with in one post. The next stage involves sending out a guide to you to help you get me some important diagnostic results, so as I can analyse them for you and recommend changes to your router configuration to solve them.

I only send this out to people who request it.

Keith