FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HG633 coil whine under load had poor WIFI 5Ghz now on dsl-3782 no coil whine but speed drops

G_R_UK_T4LK2M3
Whizz Kid
Message 72 of 72

When I first switched over to VDSL from ADSL2 I was supplied a HG633 this was working well except I was never happy with the WIFI performance on 5GHz.

Recently the HG633 started to make a high pitch audible noise I believe this was coil whine and started to really become a problem as it is located in the living room.

Internet speeds were stable and largly on the higher end of what what was expected and hardly dropped.

However more recently it did start around the same time as the whine it was getting after the recent contract renewal when we upgraded between 56-63MBps however lately it is strugling to get past 53MBps even after switching of for 30 minutes this didn't get better. I think this has caused the DLM to drop.

A while back we were also supplied a DSL-3782 which was only used when the HG633 had firmware problems before I was enrolled into the testing phase of the HG633 firmware before that was rolled out to all customers. I've started using this again two days ago however I woke up this morning to the biggest drop in some time down to 45MBps after a quick reboot this increased to 50MBps. The WIFI on the DSL-3782 is a huge improvement over the HG633 on 5GHz is much stronger and maintains a somewhat better max speed expected for the network bandwitch for dual band wifi, not perfect but a better result.

I know where to look for speeds which is always on the modem settings pages which is where I base all this knowledge from for speeds of the hardware.

So why at first was it at the maximum advertised and beyond expectations and more recently this has landed on the much lower end of advertised speeds? Fortunatly this is only £2.50 a month on the deal we were offered but when this goes up to £5 I can't justify the benefit of 5MBps for £5 a month so unless this is resolved when the time comes I will return to the old package at only a marginal speed difference.

This is what I always look for and not speedtest results.

Link Rate:

19113/50066 Kbps

I fully understand what I'm looking for with speeds, and because I can not change the DNS for this I can not get speedtest results that come close to what the link rate is showing it falls short by 4MBps down and 2MBps up.

I've now plugged this into the test socket ready for any testing that is required following what seems to be required when support is provided. I do hope this returns to the higher speeds that I had when we first enrolled to the extra fiber speed boost package.

0 Likes
71 REPLIES 71

Message 21 of 72

Hi G_R_UK_T4LK

Would you like me to pass this back over to our Network Team and request an engineer visit?

Have you recently tested with 2 different routers, cables and filters?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 22 of 72
Connection has been stable except on the first night after the WIFI Hub was installed when shortly after midnight the connection was lost and the speed dropped. Since then I have not seen a dropped connection but the speed keeps getting lower and DLM profile seems to be stuck on the worst performance possible.
0 Likes

Message 23 of 72

Hi G_R_UK_T4LK

Apologies for this.

Just to confirm, has the connection remained stable?

An engineer would check/test the line for any faults. They would also test at the master socket and check the set up.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 24 of 72
Downstream Upstream
Actual Rate [Kbps] 40136 19997
Maximum Rate [Kbps] 39464 19997
Noise Margin [dB] 9.70 6.50
Attenuation [dB] 21.20 0.00
Power [dBm] 12.30 7.60

I had an unexpected phone call from TalkTalk earlier they reset the line a few times while running some tests I think this was related to when I called two weeks ago to arrange for what I thought was the WIFI Hub I was not informed a ticket had been opened and that I would get a follow up call.
However they did not care that my speeds were reduced from what was experienced in the past and only wanted to make sure I had no disconnects.

Well WIFI is perfect and my speed has dropped and since they did tests it has dropped further.
What will the engineer be expected to perform please?
0 Likes

Message 25 of 72

Hi G_R_UK_T4LK

DLM will be monitoring the connection with this router connected.

Please can you post back on this thread in 48hrs and we can check the connection stats again.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 26 of 72

Thanks for sending the update, I can now see the Noise Margin for Downstream. Will this noise margin improve further over the next 48 hours?

Actual Rate [Kbps]
Downstream 54999
Upstream 19999
Maximum Rate [Kbps]
Downstream 57629
Upstream 19999
Noise Margin [dB]
Downstream 7.30
Upstream 6.40
Attenuation [dB]
Downstream 20.50
Upstream 0.00
Power [dBm]
Downstream 13.50
Upstream 7.60

0 Likes

Message 27 of 72

Hi G_R_UK_T4LK

I have updated your router firmware version.

We will be rolling this version out to all routers (Wifi Hub) soon.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 28 of 72
Yes please , is it not always best to have the newest firmware especially for security?

At the moment speed tests are
supportal-test.co.uk
Download 50914 KBits/s (6364.25 KBytes/s)
Upload 18010 KBits/s (2251.25 KBytes/s)
0 Likes

Message 29 of 72

Hi G_R_UK_T4LK

Thanks for your reply.

We have a new firmware version, would you like me to update the router?

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 30 of 72

Got this setup now is this the newest version of firmware? SG4K10001400t .

Actual Rate [Kbps]Maximum Rate [Kbps]Noise Margin [dB]Attenuation [dB]Power [dBm]

DownstreamUpstream
0 Likes

Message 31 of 72

Hi G_R_UK_T4LK,

Ok thank you and please let us know how the connection and speed compares. It will be ok to connect the wifi hub straight away.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 32 of 72
Yes please, I think the WIFI Hub will arrive in 3-5 working days I was informed yesturday. What I will also do is try with all the cables supplied in a new location that I will put together for testing. Fingers crossed that will fix everything. I will update once it has been delivered and installed and report initial results. I have one question though, when the WIFI Hub is delivered should I switch of and leave the HG633 disconnected for 30 minutes before connecting the WIFI Hub?
0 Likes

Message 33 of 72

Hi G_R_UK_T4LK2M3,

Thanks for the update. Our Network Team have advised that the next step would be to arrange an engineer visit. Would you prefer to test with the new router first before we arrange an engineer visit?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 34 of 72
Please enquire about an update for me please.
0 Likes

Message 35 of 72

I've now ordered the WIFI Hub from the loyalty team, this should fix the WIFI problems mentioned. Got it for £30 after they credit the account back with £30 from the £60 that is initially charged from the loyalty team. Perhaps this might also get a more stable result which will also improve speeds. I'm thinking of also trying new cables inside the house to see if this helps.

0 Likes

Message 36 of 72

Hi G_R_UK_T4LK,

I've passed this over now. If you don't hear back by the end of today then please can you bump your thread and we can re-check for an update for you.

Thanks

Message 37 of 72

Please see what can be done, I would like to understand what caused the speed to drop as drastically as it has in the last four months.

Downstream noise safety coefficient (dB) has increased drasitcally to since then.

0 Likes

Message 38 of 72

Please see what they can do if anything, I would like to figure out / understand why the speed has dropped and the Downstream noise safety coefficient (dB) has increased from the low 3.6 it was four months ago.

0 Likes

Message 39 of 72

Thanks for the update. I can ask our network team to take a look at this for you but your sync speed is within the predicted range for your line and above the guaranteed minimum so unfortunately there's probably little they can do

Chris

0 Likes

Message 40 of 72

After doing what was suggested:

Upstream line rate (kbit/s): 19700
Downstream line rate (kbit/s): 46014
Upstream noise safety coefficient (dB): 6
Downstream noise safety coefficient (dB): 6
Upstream interleave depth: 1
Downstream interleave depth: 13
Line standard: VDSL2
Upstream line attenuation (dB): 6.6