cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

High latency issues with FTTP 1GIG Internet

TheNewb
Chatterbox
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 10 of 10

Hello fellow TalkTalk users and forum members,

I'm reaching out for advice and assistance regarding a significant issue I'm facing on my TalkTalk's internet service.

On January 18, 2024, around 00:20, my internet connection went down for about 1 hour and 30 minutes. I run a small gaming server for myself and friends the  server ping before the outage was consistently between 40ms - 60ms. However, since the service drop, the server's ping has skyrocketed to 200-400ms, sometimes even higher, making the gaming experience untenable for us.

I've gone through the standard troubleshooting procedures recommended by TalkTalk multiple times, including a router hard reset and network reconfiguration, but to no avail. I've conducted tests both from inside and outside the network, across different locations and ISPs, and the results point towards an issue with my line.

Despite providing this information to TalkTalk support, the conversations haven't progressed beyond basic troubleshooting tips. I'm reaching a point of frustration as I believe the situation requires an on-site evaluation by a professional engineer. I'm looking for advice on how to escalate this matter with TalkTalk effectively, to have them acknowledge the severity of the issue and take appropriate action.

Any suggestions, especially from those who might have faced similar issues, would be greatly appreciated. How can I get TalkTalk to move past the basic script and take this seriously?

I have attached one of the test from outside my network back into it, at hop 9 the ping will randomly fluctuate to over 100ms from looking at my settings this is my WAN router IP address and where I think the fault lies

location1-pic2-blacked.png

-James
0 Likes
9 REPLIES 9

Message 1 of 10

Morning,

I'm sorry for the delay. Could you run a wired ping and trace route please.

Run a Ping or Traceroute - TalkTalk Help & Support

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

TheNewb
Chatterbox
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 10

heres another picture showing the issue starts with the talktalk network

XH6DPFZBZxx.png
-James
0 Likes

TheNewb
Chatterbox
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 10

As one final check i have hard reset everthing again, turned everything off for 30+ mins and issue of latency is still there, I have ran another check connecting from outside my network back into it and again the issue is showing around the talktalk network external to my home, How do i get an engineer booked to look as this as all talktalk want me todo is reset stuff over and over again which is clearly never going to work is the system i connect to is at fault 

Screenshot 2024-01-27 224931.png
-James
0 Likes

TheNewb
Chatterbox
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 10

Everything has been powered down and also reset/hard reset multiple times, I have connected to the ONT with my router that supports upto 10G SFP+ on its wan ports the problem is the same and in the same location 2.102.96.1

-James
0 Likes

Message 5 of 10

Hi James,

Thanks for the additional information. Can I just confirm, did you also try powering down the ONT and router for a full 30 minutes? Does this seems to happen at a specific time or is it currently happening all the time? Would it be possible to connect to the ONT with the router removed just to see how this compares please?

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 6 of 10

Hi Chris,

Thank you for your response.

To clarify, the high latency issue is not isolated to the game server; it is occurring across any and all devices that are utilizing the connection. This rules out the possibility of it being a device-specific problem.

The key observation from the network diagnostic data (as shown in the latency graph) is that the latency remains within expected parameters from hops 1 to 8. However, at hop 9, which has the IP address 2.102.96.1, there is a substantial and consistent increase in latency. This particular hop is where my eero connects to as part of the WAN network, which is outside of my local network's scope.

Given that the latency starts to massively increase at this point and remains elevated beyond it, it suggests that the issue may be related to a hardware problem or a bottleneck at this specific juncture in the network infrastructure. The fact that this latency spike is consistent across various devices indicates a broader network issue that likely needs to be addressed by TalkTalk.

I would appreciate any further investigation you could initiate regarding the high latency starting from hop 9, as it seems to be a critical point affecting the service quality.

Thank you for your assistance.

-James

-James
0 Likes

Chris-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 7 of 10

Hi TheNewb,

I cant see anything that could be causing the high latency. Are you seeing the high latency on more than one device or just the game server?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 8 of 10

You're right, @TheNewb, as you are supposed to go through Talktalk itself to fix up an engineer etc.

For forum staff support, please ensure that you have completed your community forum profile details for them to identify your account. 

Add your Talktalk phone number  / account number where asked for telephone number in Personal Information. 

Go via your avatar/name; settings; drop down menu..... SAVE CHANGES. 

Staff will reply during the day. 

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

TheNewb
Chatterbox
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 9 of 10

I was also given this email address and phone number to contact. 
The email address is not valid and as per Openreach's website i should not contact them about a fault it is the duty of the provider to contact them 

Screenshot 2024-01-24 214543.pngScreenshot 2024-01-24 215226.png
-James
0 Likes