FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to change public IP address?

Helen786
First Timer
Message 9 of 9

There's various reasons as to why someone would want to change their IP, I recently upgraded to Fibre, and on my previous router, upon going to 192.168.1.1, I could easily change my IP by switching from DHCP to PPP and then reverting the changes. On this router, doing that changes nothing and I am unable to change my public IP address! 

Please bare in mind, I have already kept my router off for over 30mins, to no avail!

The version is SG4K10002816t

0 Likes
8 REPLIES 8

Message 1 of 9

Hi

Can you add the home number or account number rather than the mobile number, so we can locate your line details.

If you do frequently want to change the IP address, you may want to consider looking at a VPN service as these will always give a different IP or location that is more to your control.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

Message 2 of 9

Done.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 9

I just like having that control of changing my IP, it’s very often that I accidentally click on spam emails or ads during web browsing etc. The thought of them having my IP isnt exactly settling, hence it’s nice to know I have instant access to change my IP at my own demand.

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 4 of 9

Hi Helen,

Can you please update your community profile to include your:

• Name

• Telephone number

• Alternative contact number

•  

We'll then look into this further. Please do not post this information on this thread. Once you've updated your profile please post in your topic to confirm it's updated. 

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 5 of 9

From past topics on this issue, there is nothing a customer can do and even the OCE intervention is not 100% certain to be effective.

Why do you need it changed anyway ?

Have you been blocked from a site due to your activity ?

0 Likes

Message 6 of 9

Yes, please try this!

But, do you have an actual consistent fix? As it's probably not practical for me to consult you to remotely reset my router every time I want my IP changed.

0 Likes

Karl-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 7 of 9

Hi

Whilst we do issue dynamic IP addresses, with fibre, the session remains open so the IP itself will not change very often as IP addresses are not being released by others, so you may retain the IP address for a while.  I may be able to force an IP change by resetting the router remotely, would you like me to try this ?

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

martswain
Philosopher
Message 8 of 9

Fibre IP addresses seem to be very sticky for some strange reason.

Nobody seems to know exactly why.

The "turn it off for 30 minutes" is no guarantee you will get a new IP address.

It's seems to be potluck and not specific to any model of router/HUB either.