FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet drops every 5-10 minutes, including Ethernet

Petbo
Team Player
Message 36 of 36

We recently upgraded to fibre. For the past week the internet cuts out regularly about every 5-10 minutes. This includes the TV which is plugged in via an Ethernet cable, the picture obNetflix is awful and it cuts out and buffers every 10 minutes.

I’ve tried rebooting for 20 mins. 

i’ve tried the test socket - phone still works. 

I work from home and it has been fine for the past 5 months but now I can’t work as I need to log on. 

the issue remains even when it’s just me in the house. 

we don’t play online games or do anything that would use loads of bandwidth. 

any help would be massively appreciated 

0 Likes
35 REPLIES 35

Message 1 of 36

Hi Petbo

That's great, please let us know if you do experience any further issues.

Debbie

Message 2 of 36
Karl

Thanks seems to have sorted I think it was the line stabilising!

Message 3 of 36

Hi Petbo

All tests are clear and sync speed shows as 39mb.

Where you running the speed tests over ethernet ?

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

Message 4 of 36
Do I need to start my own thread? Is there no official way of contacting TalkTalk support?
David
0 Likes

davidf987
Team Player
Message 5 of 36

This has been happening all day since yesterday. Today this is really disrupting me!

David
0 Likes

Message 6 of 36

Hi Chris

you said to bump this if the BT openreach engineer didn’t resolve it. He did part resolve it the connection to the Ethernet is better 

However, my current speed test came back as

All done!

We've finished measuring your speed, and here are your results.

0.9 Mbps

Your average download speed

NaN Mbps

Your average upload speed

is there something wrong with the line? 

ironically the speed test offered us fibre which is what we have

thank you 

0 Likes

Message 7 of 36

Hi Petbo,

Thanks for the information 

I've sent you a PM to confirm some details, can you please reply by PM with the answers to the security questions 

Thanks

Chris

0 Likes

Message 8 of 36

hi Chris

thanks for looking into this 

there’s no sound coming from the phone, even when plugged directly into the socket in the wall 

Thanks 

0 Likes

Message 9 of 36

Hi Petbo,

Line test is now showing a potential fault. Could you just confirm that your telephone service is working OK, no noise on the line.

Thanks

Chris

Message 10 of 36

Thank you.

could someone please help as this is into its 3rd week of not working and I am struggling to do my work and in the current climate it is not a good time to be seen as the one who can’t deliver. There aren’t enough hours in the day to do a full days work at half speed because the connection keeps dropping. 

I’ve tried using the chat function but as I need to be on 4g on my phone they ask me to do something and as soon as I do the chat closes. 

I think we just need an engineer out to assess what is wrong. 

many thanks 

0 Likes

Message 11 of 36

Staff will be back on here from Monday,  @Petbo.

You can reach help today through Chat:

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Our-update-on-Coronavirus/ta-p/2468300

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.

Message 12 of 36

Chris 

could you please send an engineer out to look at the issue. We’ve tried everything we’ve been asked and it is still not working. 

many thanks 

0 Likes

Message 13 of 36
I’ve been trying the internet since 4.30am, similar issues so I don’t think it is a use issue
0 Likes

Message 14 of 36
Unfortunately that doesn’t seem to have helped
0 Likes

Message 15 of 36
There’s a gentleman with a BT openreach jacket who has just opened up the wiring outside my house....
0 Likes

Message 16 of 36
Hi Chris

The Ethernet is better/improved but still not fixed - it still freezes but every 15 minutes rather than every 5.

Is there a way to check with BT Openreach whether there is an issue in the area?
0 Likes

Message 17 of 36

If Ethernet is now OK it could just be an issue with the router, it's a pity you've sent the old one back. I can send you another to test with, would you like me to arrange this?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 18 of 36
Hi Chris

Unfortunately, we sent back the old router for recycling as the new router improved the performance of the Ethernet connected TV.

Could it be a BT open reach issue? Our neighbours have said that they have had internet issues. Is there any way to check?

0 Likes

Message 19 of 36

Hi Petbo,

Have you tried both routers since upgrading to fibre?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 20 of 36
Hi Debbie

I have tried switching to channels 6 and 11 as suggested on the site and back to automatic. No change, still getting dropping connections on all devices.

This has been going on for 2 weeks, could we please have an engineer sent out. It is really difficult for me to work with a dropping connection every few minutes

Many thanks
0 Likes