FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low sync speed stuck with it

Techman81
Conversation Starter
Message 18 of 18

Well where do I start. I asked for help before Christmas regarding a couple of phones disconnecting from our wifi hub. An OCE sent a new router, awesome.

Then I enquired about the massive difference between my Actual Line Rate and Max Attainable Line Rate. An OCE arranged an engineer - briilliant.

The engineer came out, replaced my master socket with a current DSL/Phone faceplace - a 5c and ran several tests from the socket with his handheld device. He said between my home and the cabinet and concluded he was getting 60meg down and just over 11meg up. Then I believe he reset DLM.

The first day or 2 there was no change in my speed it was still 35meg down with a max attainable of 62meg. Then at approx 12:45 every night my router was reset remotely and the speed started climbing - 42meg, 47 meg then 52meg and there it held for a few days. Then last week I can see from my router logs several resets within hours of each other, my speed decreasing to 35meg down with SNRM of 9db which smacks of DLM banding my line. From here it has stayed and reduced ever so slightly down to 34meg. 

Running from the test socket makes absolutely no difference everything remains unchanged. I run the Line Test which comes back with a "we suspect an issue with your broadband" but then goes on to blame home setup. The master socket is the ONLY socket in the house. My phone is connected to the phone port and router connected to the DSL port. So as the engineer has told me my socket to the cab is fine, it must either be the router or TalkTalk's LLU equipment at the exchange that's up the swanny.

Looking at the BT Broadband Availability Checker on an impacted line the handback threshold is 35meg down (mine is under this according to the router) yet TalkTalk talk of my min guaranteed speed of 32meg?? Even on the impacted range my speeds should be between 62meg and 42meg and the engineer reckons I have a clean line so should be getting between 65meg and 48meg.

Also the Speed To My Router figures in Service Centre seem to be giving random numbers. It's currently saying 38meg download speed to the router but I know it hasn't been that for about a week yet it's updated at midnight every night?

My contract is due in 6/7 weeks, my challenge to TalkTalk is, can you find the problem and give me the service I'm paying for before my contract concludes? This, I leave to you.....(thank you)

0 Likes
17 REPLIES 17

Message 1 of 18

Morning,

Thanks for the update and please let us know how the connection/speed compares over the next week. It should be fine to re-connect the alternative router straight away.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 2 of 18

Hi Debbie,

I've finally found my TP Link router! I'll plug it in tomorrow and see how that goes for a week or two. 

To avoid DLM noticing a dropout should I disconnect the TT wifi hub and reconnect the TP Link 30mins later?

Many thanks

0 Likes

Message 3 of 18

Hi Techman81

That's great news, I'm so glad to hear that the speed has started to increase

Thanks

Debbie

Message 4 of 18

Hi Debbie thanks for that. Looks like DLM is starting to release its grip on my connection. 

My connection had been rock solid 35550kbps at snrm of 9db for about 9 or 10 days. Last night router reset remotely and resynced at 43350kbps at snrm of 7db by the look of it. Max attainable is showing 61xxxkbps so hopefully more speed to get out of it.

I'll keep you posted

Many thanks

Message 5 of 18

Hi Techman81

Ok no problem, please let us know how you get on.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 6 of 18

Hi Michelle,

Thanks for replying. No thank you for the replacement router, I'll see if I can find my TP Link router I'm sure I still have it somewhere.

Many thanks

0 Likes

Message 7 of 18

Morning,

Would you like us to send a replacement router for testing purposes to see how this compares? We would also send a router returns bag so that one of the routers can be returned.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 8 of 18

Hi Chris,

Thanks for replying. Is there any reason why my profile is on up to 40Mbps? Is that cap on your end or what DLM has done? 

I'm trying to attach my stats, hopefully things will become clearer as to why I keep asking why my speed is so low. If it's attached, you will see that my line rate is at 35.5Mbps but has a Max Attainable of over 62Mbps. Also I'm on the old Faster Fibre WITH Speed Boost so profile should be 65?

I plugged the router into the test socket about a week ago and never took it out. I was hoping to plug my old TP LINK router in but couldn't find it.

Hope this helps.

Many thanks

0 Likes

Message 9 of 18

Hi Techman81,

You do have a dynamic IP address and your current profile will allow a sync speed of up to 40Mbps. Could I just ask, how long has your router been connected to your test socket?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 10 of 18

Hi Chris, 

I couldn't find my TP Link router so just plugged the existing router into the test socket. 

What is weird is that my upload speed is holding steady at 10250kbps at around 6db SNRM but the download speed is stuck at 35xxxkbps at between 8.5db and 9db SNRM. It's like it's stuck there artificially? Am I on a dynamic or fixed IP and do you know what profile it's set at? Otherwise scratching my head and thinking DLM has banded my line?

0 Likes

Message 11 of 18

Hi Techman81,

There doesn't appear to have been much change in speed, is your TP Link router currently connected?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 12 of 18

Hi Techman81

Thank you. If you could leave the router switched on without rebooting (once you connect it tonight) then I will check the connection stats again on Monday.

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 13 of 18

Hi Debbie,

I've used the test socket but with the current wifii hub. 

I might try my old TP Link router and see if that makes any difference. In fact I'll do it when I get home about 5pm. Leave it plugged in for a couple of days and see if there's any improvement?

Kind regards

Message 14 of 18

Hi Techman81

Have you recently tested with a different router at the test socket?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 15 of 18

Hi Debbie, thanks for your reply.

I believe DLM has kicked in again last night just before 1am. It's boosted my upload speed to 10250kbps but download speed remains banded for now. Maybe it might improve? Well when I first took TT Fibre I was able to achieve over 60meg download for a long time. It gradually dwindled down to 58 and then after the 1st fault we ever had, dropped into the 40's. After a couple of other faults it dropped into the 30's and here we are. This is how I know my line is capable. Anyway, I believe the engineer was quoting figures based on BT/OR WBC Fibre and not LLU Fibre.  

With regards to appointing an engineer, I don't see what else they can do and besides DLM seems to be doing it's thing so probably worth waiting on the outcome of that.

But if the engineer is saying the connection between my socket and the cab is clean then surely it points to a problem with TalkTalk equipment?

Kind regards

0 Likes

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 16 of 18

Hi Techman81

Thanks for confirming your details.

The predicted speed range for your line is showing between 57.7 and 37.1mb, with minimum guaranteed speed of 32.2mb.

I'm not sure why the engineer advised that the speed could be faster as this is the speed range provided to us by Openreach.

We can arrange another engineer visit however we can't guarantee if the engineer will be able to increase the speed. Openreach complete the work on the line, cabinet and exchange and they manage DLM.

Thanks

0 Likes

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 17 of 18

Hi Techman81

I'm just sending you a Private Message to confirm some details so we can check the speed range for the line.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes