FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Fibre 150 Upgrade

djbdane
Chat Champion
Message 10 of 10

After doing the maths with my current deal etc it works out upgrading to FF150 would only cost me and extra £14 over the 18 months of the contract - existing deal goes up to £29.95 in Nov 2022 and Talk Talk offering 3 months fibre free with upgrade. So I've taken the plunge and it's being installed on 1st Dec. 

Just a question about the eero router that comes with the package - I know Openreach will install the new gubbins for the fibre (ONT) - I am assuming the eero router connects to this with an ethernet cable, not the current modem cable into a BT socket. I would want to place the router some distance from the ONT (current router is on a 10 metre modem cable) so assuming a 10 metre ethernet cable will do the trick so I can get on in advance of the install.

9 REPLIES 9

Gondola
Community Star
Message 1 of 10

Openreach will discuss with you where to fit the ONT and where to drill the hole to fit the optical cable to the external CSP or Customer Splice Point where the incoming optical cable is connected. The ONT does need to be reasonably near a power socket because the ONT has a mains power plug and power cable to power the ONT. 

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2022

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

Message 2 of 10

Hi djbdane

No problem 🙂

Please let us know how you get on following the installation.

Thanks

Debbie

djbdane
Chat Champion
Message 3 of 10

Thanks all - what I assumed but nice to have it confirmed - thanks @Gondola for the info!

Message 4 of 10

Hi djbdane

From what I understand, the engineer will have a conversation with you around the location of the equipment and will hopefully be able to install this in the suitable place.

If an extra long cable is required then the engineer should also be able to advise in regards to this. You can if you wish purchase a cable before the engineer visit (cat 6 cable)

Thanks

Debbie

Message 5 of 10

Or will the openreach chap install the ONT near a power socket?

djbdane
Chat Champion
Message 6 of 10

Thanks for your answer. I understand that my question is about location of the eero - where the existing phone line enters the property there are no nearby power sockets, so I have to run a 10m long lead from the existing router to BT socket as the router is located near power sockets, I am assuming the engineer will install their bit where the existing socket is - so my question is will a 10 metre ethernet lead be required for me to connect the eero where it's plugged in to the new openreach ONT? Just so I can purchase this in advance

Gondola
Community Star
Message 7 of 10

Just to give you some confidence, my Openreach ONT is connected to the Hub/Router using a 15 metre CAT7 Ethernet cable. That cable is installed in under-floor ducting but as it's a flat cable design it could have been slid under carpets. 

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2022

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 8 of 10

Hi,

Here is also the eero set up guide below if this helps,

Setting up your eero

Thanks

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 9 of 10

Hi,

Have you seen the below Help Guide? The engineer will set up the eero device for you and this would be connected from the ONT box. The wifi hub would no longer be used, just the eero.

How Future Fibre is installed

Thanks

0 Likes