cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

No connection

Chris189
Participant
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 37 of 37

I have had no connection for weeks and as expected its not talk talks fault.  Their so called tech advisers insist i have 16 devices connected when in actual fact i have 3 devices trying in vain to connect. For the first time i was able to log onto my talk talk account and see what devices are connected and it shows 24 devices, the problem is the devices are all my next door neighbours devices. My neighbour is also a talk talk customer, any advice please as i am at the end of my rope with idiots who profess to be intelligent.

Thanks...

Put upon talk talk customer.
0 Likes
36 REPLIES 36

Message 1 of 37

Hi Chris189

Your cancellation is due to complete today. 

Regards 

0 Likes

Message 2 of 37

Hello Allym, thanks for you're post.

When I check connected devices via my talk talk account (you can check how many devices are connected when you log into you're account) there are a list of 24 devices. I have spoke to my neighbour and shown him the list and he confirms 21 devices are in fact his. when i log onto my router (192.168.1.1) enter my username and password and the router displays 3 of my devices and nothing more, however,  because talk talk is under the impression there are in fact 24 devices connected my broadband speed is non existent, (0.02 mbps). I don't feel it is a simple case of talk talk looking at my neighbours router because my devices are also listed, so they would really have to be looking at both routers, but remember, logging onto my router only shows my devices and my neighbours router only lists his family's devices. I have indeed checked that my telephone number is correctly read back and all is fine. My new supplier will be plusnet and you are absolutely correct in saying the fault may remain when i move over but i simply cannot put myself through any more of talk talks woeful, blatant inaction. 

I spent 3 hours on the telephone yesterday with talk talk because they claim I did not cancel my broadband, even though I informed 8 managers and at least 10 advisers and on each occasion I was told my broadband would be switched off at midnight on the 5th. Of course my broadband was not switched off (i expected this)  When i rang they had no idea my broadband was to be switched off. So they gave me a date for switching off on the 11th but i don't care anymore, I'm tired, my multiple sclerosis has taken all it can take. I was transferred to six different advisers yesterday and i told an adviser something I never thought i was capable of saying, i told the adviser this whole experience has been the worst experience of my life, more so than the horrendous experience of behind diagnosed.

0 Likes

AllyM
Philosopher
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 37

I am still puzzled by these devices which TalkTalk think are connected to your route @Chris189 .

If I'm understanding the situation correctly, you say that when you log in to your router locally, only your own 3 devices are connected but checking your router remotely, TalkTalk are seeing several other devices (which you believe belong to a neighbour) connected to the router.

The only logical explanation I can come up with is that TalkTalk are actually looking at your neighbour's router rather than yours.

Have you tried dialling 17070 from your landline to check what phone number is read back to rule out a crossed line with your neighbour?

If you do have a crossed line, it wouldn't necessarily explain the reliability/speed issues you are having with your internet connection, but it may explain TalkTalk getting incorrect information when checking the line.

You don't say what ISP you are switching to but I imagine you will be aware that depending on where the fault lies, switching to a different ISP who uses the same Openreach FTTC network as TalkTalk may not necessarily immediately fix the problem as you will still be using the same line.

Switching to Virgin or a full fibre service may be a better bet.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 37

I'm really sorry for any inconvenience and upset caused by this issue, if you do need any further assistance just let us know. I'm sorry that you are leaving us but I hope all goes well with your new provider

Chris

0 Likes

Message 5 of 37

Hi Chris, 

Yes, i am still experiencing problems connecting my devices but because i am switching supplier i wish to put this awful experience behind me and concentrate on my health and look forward to my new suppliers go live date. It is important that talk talk staff are aware of how their procedures/attitudes can have a detrimental effect upon customers who are suffering with a debilitating and progressive disease. Staff were informed of my condition and how vital a working broadband connection was to my life due to the fact i am bed bound but the knowledge of my condition in no way dictated them to put processes in place in order to help a vulnerable customer. The reason for this is due to the fact there are no processes to help the vulnerable, regardless of what talk talk claim. I suffered an ms relapse within 3 days of being constantly told the broadband issues where in fact my fault and my health further deteriorated the longer i was unable to talk and interact with my social circle. Talk talk have so much to learn.

0 Likes

Message 6 of 37

Hi Chris,

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing problems with your service. Just to confirm, do you currently have a working internet connection?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 7 of 37

Hi Allym,

Thanks for you're post and truth be told i know you had no intention to offend me, you're doing you're best to help me and i am eternally grateful to you all and i apologise for my abrasive attitude. Here's the thing, when i check what devices are connected to my router via my talk talk account there are 24, however, when i log onto my router there are 3. I also must mention i have switched broadband supplier as the whole experience in dealing with talk talk has been terrible and has effected my health.

I think it only fair to mention the help and assistance you have all given me is truly something you all should be proud of, you all recognised someone in need and you all stepped up to the plate and for this i am eternally grateful.

Message 8 of 37

@Divsec wrote:

Tt staff will be in tomorrow they have the tools to sort it.

Like I said, it's a quite bizarre, confusing situation. Let's hope staff are able to get to the bottom of it.

0 Likes

Message 9 of 37

Ladies and gents, please, this community is not about acrimony or point scoring.

Please chill and let's focus on helping @Chris189 to get a reliable service.

Tt staff will be in tomorrow they have the tools to sort it.

Thanks

Divsec

I don't work here and all my opinions are my own.
0 Likes

AllyM
Philosopher
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 10 of 37

@Chris189 ,

People reading this forum have no idea exactly what conversations have gone on between you and phone/chat support staff, and unfortunately you didn't fully explain the whole story in your initial post as you now have in a more recent one. I'm sorry if I offended you - that was not my intention.

Switching the router off for 30 minutes can fix certain types of issues when things get screwed up but it should be a rare occurrence. If you are having to do that frequently, there probably is still an issue which needs further investigation.

The "24 devices" issue is also truly bizarre. Are these devices actually connected to your router and using your internet connection? It shouldn't be possible for your neighbour to connect devices to your router without knowing your router's WiFi password.

Hopefully forum staff will be able to advise/assist when they are back at work after the weekend.

By the way, it's not necessary to divulge your academic qualifications on the forum but since you seem to be interested, I do have degree in Electronic and Electrical Engineering.

0 Likes

Message 11 of 37

By the way Allym.

I gained a masters in engineering before diagnosis so I am more than capable of explaining myself.

0 Likes

Message 12 of 37

Hi Giliwmaeden2,

It was never suggested to turn the router off for 30mins. I was only told to hold the reset button for 30 seconds. Yes, i still have 24 devices shown and i am turning the hub off for 30mins every two and a half hours because i cannot connect unless i turn the hub off.

0 Likes

Message 13 of 37

Allym.

• Let's you and i understand that I did in fact explain the nature of my problem to the talk talk advisers clearly and consicely from the offset, so let's put that ignorant comment where it belongs. Also, it is absolutely true I have had no connection whatsoever for four weeks, nothing, nada and devoid of a connection. The talk talk staff carried out a line test and i was told there was a problem which is why they suggested to send two routers and a boosting kit (why on earth they felt this would fix the problem is beyond me). I carried out several line tests via the talk talk account page and on every occasion I was told there was an issue with line and that their staff would look into the issue. I was told by the staff there was a problem with the router speed because 24 devices were connected  and i must disconnect devices in order for the speed to return to normal and regardless of how many times I told them they were not my devices they still insisted I was in fact to blame. Why the hell do you think I have, to date, spent 16 hours on the phone with idiots? Could it perhaps be because they couldn't hold their ass with both hands. Be aware that their staff are limited in their knowledge and when they are faced with a problem outside of  their A to B to C training they shi* the bed and blame the customer. Why is my neighbours devices showing on my router irrelevant?? Does you're neighbours devices show as being connected to you're router? Is it normal for the devices to show as being connected to my router, let's remember that talk talk constantly told me my connection problems would improve if i only disconnected my neighbours devices. So, do you still feel the 24 devices were irrelevant. For the love of god grow up. Also, why did a manager cancel the upgrade of fibre 150. He did so because he told me the fibre 65 had been working fine for 18 months then suddenly developed issues and the solution was not to upgrade but rather to restore the fibre 65.
0 Likes

Message 14 of 37

Yes, and it's odd that nothing improved previously despite swapping out the routers, unless they were switched very quickly. 

The 30 minute time slot is the crucial difference, allowing the connection to find a new session at the exchange. 

Support agents via Chat/phone should have suggested that to start with....!

@Chris189 , are you still seeing devices listed that don't belong to you? Is that still a worry?

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

Message 15 of 37

@Chris189 wrote:

It's amazing that a simple act of turning off the hub for 30mins can have such an effect with connection problems.

It depends very much on the situation.

If your router is connected to the internet and the sync speed is good but actual throughput speed is slow, then turning off for 30 minutes often fixes the problem as you will start a new connection "session" with the cabinet equipment on restart.

I'm sure the 30 minute switch off would have been suggested to you earlier if you had been able to properly explain the exact nature of the problem in the first place. You started this topic saying that you have had "no connection for weeks" implying that you had no connection to the internet. I'm guessing the support staff have done a check on your line which has shown your router in sync with a good sync speed and therefore seen no problem. All the talk about your neighbours devices showing up somewhere has further confused everyone as it is/was irrelevant to your issue.

Message 16 of 37

Thanks again to you all. It's amazing that a simple act of turning off the hub for 30mins can have such an effect with connection problems.

Message 17 of 37

Hey that's great news, please do come back if things deteriorate. The TT staff here are superb and know much more than we mere mortals👍

0 Likes

Message 18 of 37

I will post the make and model as soon as I can. Thanks for all the advice, especially the advice to try turning the hub of for 30mins. It actually improved the problem as i can now connect devices And they seem to stay connected for longer than they have in the past. Thumbs up to you all.

0 Likes

Message 19 of 37

@Chris189, if the label is not obvious, if you have one of the Talktalk hubs it should be on the piece of labelling underneath the removable card thing that shows the router number and password. 

So remove the card to reveal the more detailed labelling. 

You will probably need a magnifying glass - I do - in addition to close reading glasses.

All that writing is ridiculously small, which is not really very helpful at all!

The basics are that it is likely to say Sagemcom or Huawei. 

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

Message 20 of 37

Hi @Chris189 the make and model would help, please. It's usually on the back or underneath the router.

Another thing worth trying is a 30 minute restart. Simply disconnect the router from power wait 30 minutes and restart. This can reset the exchange and give you an improvement.