FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recontracted From Fibre 35 To Fibre 65, Speed Only Increased 3 Mb/s.

R2223
Conversation Starter
Message 10 of 10

I have always got the maximum speeds for my broadband package being within walking distance of my areas telephone exchange building.

So on Fibre 35 I consistently got 40 Mb/s indicated at the router. I recontracted last Saturday (5th) and upgraded to Fibre 65 which is supposed to offer "67 Mb/s average download speed" as stated by TalkTalk.

But after giving it 48 hours to activate my speed has only increased to 43 Mb/s which is ridiculous given the package change, I expected to see at least 60 Mb/s. I tried rebooting the router, same speed.

I don't know if the line is still stabilising but if it doesn't improve I would have to reconsider the package because it's unacceptable for Fibre 35 and Fibre 65 to be the same thing!

Just for information the router is plugged into the master socket and there is no telephone extension wiring connected. It is the only functional socket in the house.

Could someone please look into this for me, thank you.

0 Likes
9 REPLIES 9

Message 1 of 10

Hi R2223

If you contact our Loyalty Team they can discuss this with you.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

martswain
Philosopher
Message 2 of 10

@R2223 please forget about the number 67, the maximum speed on Fibre 65 is 80.

If you revert to Fibre 35 then your speeds will be capped at a maximum of 40 download and 10 upload, Fibre 65 takes off that cap and has done for your line even though you can only get 43.

Your line will never be capable of anything higher than the speed you currently have, its the Scotty defence from Star Trek, "TT cannae change the laws of physics"

0 Likes

Message 3 of 10

OK, I will have to go and consider my options.

Thank you for the assistance Debbie.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 10

Hi R2223

Yes sorry. If you change back to Fibre 35 then the speed would go back to 40mb (from the current 43mb)

Thanks

Message 5 of 10

Thank you for the reply Debbie,

Is my line physically incapable of 67 Mb/s? Will it always cap out at 43 Mb/s?

I was never told when recontracting that it was IMPOSSIBLE for me to reach that new average speed. There is a big difference between being told guaranteed minimums or predicted ranges (all which fall below what I have always been getting) and never being able to achieve the higher average speed advertised by TalkTalk.

So am I right in understanding there is no discernible difference between Fibre 35 and Fibre 65 for my line?

0 Likes

Message 6 of 10

Hi R2223

Thanks for confirming your details.

I've checked and the predicted speed range for your line is showing between 40.6 and 36.6mb, with a guaranteed minimum speed of 32.9mb.

Your line is in sync at 43.4mb. You appear to be receiving the best speed for your line.

Thanks

Debbie

Message 7 of 10

Hello Debbie

Thank you for the reply, I have replied to your PM and confirmed the details.

0 Likes

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 8 of 10

Hi R2223

I'm just sending you a Private Message to confirm some details so I can check the predicted speed range and sync speed.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

martswain
Philosopher
Message 9 of 10

The figure 67 is meaningless, it is just a marketing number as defined in the OFCOM rules.

The maximum speeds available on Fibre 65 is 80 down and 20 up.

Each line is unique and the maximum speed it can handle depends on the length of the line to the fibre cabinet, not to the exchange and varies as per the graph below.

When you upgraded you would have been given an estimated speed range and a minimum guaranteed download speed, what were they ?

FTTC-speed-distance-graph.png

0 Likes