cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

Reduction in sync speeds

philipm
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 23 of 23

On returning from a week away I notice that my sync speeds had dropped, along with a commensurate fall in download speed. Normally I would be syncing around 47 or 48 down and getting a download speed of around 43 or even 44 mbps. This has now fallen to syncing at 40mbps, resulting in a download speed of 37mbps. Router has been powered off for 40 minutes then restated and that was 24 hours ago. No change.  Might not sound a lot but a 10-15% reduction in speed when I have people working from home and I cant get full fibre is, actually, a lot so I'd like to know what the cause is and for it to be rectified.

0 Likes
22 REPLIES 22

Message 1 of 23

Hi @philipm 

You're welcome 🙂

I will post back again on Thursday.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 2 of 23

Will do.

Thanks for all your help so far.

Regards

Message 3 of 23

Hi philipm

The speed may still continue to increase if the connection remains stable.

Please can you keep the router powered up and I will check the connection stats again on Thursday to see if DLM has made any changes.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 4 of 23

I posted the old router back to you in the prepaid envelope so I can't go back to it. Looks like I'll just have to accept that there has been some degradation on the line. If it goes any more I'll have to get in touch again. Bit of a PITA really. We're totally surrounded by fiber but our single street has underground cables rather than telegraph posts so we cant get FTTP. I now have two people WFH so just try to eek out as much bandwidth as I can.

Regards

0 Likes

Message 5 of 23

HI @philipm 

The last test I completed showed that the line was in sync at 40mb.

Would you like to leave this router connected for a further 48hrs to see if the speed increases again or swap back to your old router?

0 Likes

Message 6 of 23

Hi.

Yes. 43.6 is the current sync speed. It's stayed at that all weekend. Ironically, if you recall, the old one was syncing at 47 before I swapped it out so I haven't achieved any improvement over that. Quite the opposite, in fact.

Regards

0 Likes

Message 7 of 23

Morning @philipm 

I can see that the sync speed has started to increase from 40mb to just under 44mb.

How's the connection/speed been for you since the new router was connected?

0 Likes

Message 8 of 23

Hi philipm

Ok, I will check the connection stats/speed again on Monday.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 9 of 23

OK. Will do but that will have to wait until tomorrow morning now so it will probably be the weekend until I can update this post again.

Regards

Message 10 of 23

@philipm  Apologies, I thought the new one was already connected.

Yes please can you connect the new router for at least 48hrs to allow DLM time to monitor the connection and adjust the profile/speed.

0 Likes

Message 11 of 23

Hi. Just to be clear, Debbie. I haven't actually connected the new router up yet. The stats I gave you were all for my original router. Would you still prefer that I set the new one up?

Regards

Message 12 of 23

Hi @philipm 

I'm glad to hear that the router has arrived 🙂

It would be worth checking the speed again in 48hrs to allow DLM time to monitor the connection with the new router connected.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 13 of 23

Hi.

I've received the new router but checked all the stats on the old one before switching.  Seems I am now back to syncing at 47.6 mbps which has given me a download speed on speedtest.net of 44.4 mbps. Exactly as it always has been. Not sure that the new router would improve on that. What do you think? Does what you see at your end suggest that I might be able to sync at any greater speeds? I am 0.4 miles from the green street cabinet by road so that has to be the maximum copper run. No doubt it's a lot less because I think the copper runs under the pavements.

Regards

0 Likes

Message 14 of 23

Message 15 of 23

Thanks. I'll come back on this thread after I've set it all up.

All the best.

Message 16 of 23

Hi philipm

We don't have a beta firmware sorry.

The router is on its way, please allow 48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the speed compares with this router connected.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 17 of 23

Sure. Let's give it a punt, unless there's a beta firmware that we could try. 

I've got the Talktalk WiFi Hub 

philipm_0-1718703142720.png

Message 18 of 23

Hi @philipm 

Ok, would you like me to send a replacement router for testing first so we can rule this out?

0 Likes

Message 19 of 23

Yes, it is. It was moved there, years ago.

Nothing has changed for years so I cant see how I would suddenly be getting interference when I didn't have that problem a fortnight ago.

0 Likes

Message 20 of 23

Hi philipm

Is your master socket in the utility room?

Internal interference can affect the connection.

0 Likes