FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Severed Cable & No Engineer? Three different dates!

SSanderson
First Timer
Message 29 of 29

I recently moved house (Saturday), having spoken to TalkTalk 3 times in the build up to the move, we advised you that the cable was physically severed from the outside of the house to the pole and would need to be reconnected. I'm also told that our Landlord had been in direct contact with openreach regarding the fibre and had also advised them on the issue regarding our connection at the Cottage.  When the engineer arrived on the Monday he was unprepared to climb the pole and reconnect, stating that a blue ladder team would be required. I then called TalkTalk and was advised that we would receive an update on the situation on the 7th (today) Deciding that was unacceptable as both my mother and I work from home using the internet, we called out a private Engineer who was able to attend later that day and proceeded to connect the cable to the pole for a cost of £140

I then called TalkTalk to advise yourself that the problem had been fixed and requested to be switched on, I was first told that we would be online by midnight that day. When this didn't happen I called again the next day and was advised that Openreach would have to come and verify the quality of our private engineers work before being able to switch us on.

I was given the 7th as a date, I later called back to confirm again that the engineer would arrive with the correct equipment as to inspect this and to my shock I was now being advised that there was no record of the 7th and only a record of the 14th (the first i'd heard of this date) I requested if the customer service would be able to find out why the date had changed from the 7th. I was told there is no record of the 7th and the best they could do would be the 8th.

So to summarize, I've hired a private engineer and paid £140 to reconnect us and now you refuse to switch us on without an engineer verifying, we have 3 different dates for possible arrivals of said engineer, one of which was today the 7th; It is now 1pm and no engineer has arrived. I have recieved a text from Openreach stating they'll be arriving today (which they didn't) and a text from TalkTalk confirming arrival on the 14th + customer service advised the 8th.

Now I must stress this is absolutely outrageous, I rely on the internet heavily for my business. Every time I call I'm told a different thing and that I should "count myself lucky for not having to wait 2 weeks" (quote from management)

Please can you advice how to resolve this ASAP

Many Thanks,

Saul.

SSanderson
28 REPLIES 28

Message 1 of 29

Morning,

Thanks for the update. I've run a test on the line which has detected a potential fault. Just to confirm, are you experiencing any issues with the voice service such as no dial tone or any noise on the line? Is the router connected directly at the test socket? Which router are you currently using? (make and model)

Thanks

0 Likes

martswain
Philosopher
Message 2 of 29

@SSanderson  What product did you order from TT and what make/model router do you have ?

All Super Routers (HG635/633 and DSL3782) and both the Huawei and Sagemcom HUBs are fully compatible with Fibre35/65 as standalone devices.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 29

Hi Chris,

It is indeed frustrating and inconvenient.

To update you on the situation..... an engineer arrived yesterday from Openreach and carried out the required work. (You advised that your systems only showed the 14th and then later the 11th) Do you have gremlins in your system Chris?! 

The Openreach engineer advised us that our modem was not compatible with fibre and that on fibre 35 we could expect 9mbps download. So we still have no internet other than mobile hotspots as you failed to give us a compatible modem.  We've spoken to BT who will be taking over our line to and installing proper fibre, also giving us a 4G device to keep us going in the meantime.

We expect based on this outrageous service, sheer confusion and inability to provide the advertised service that there will not be any issues from TalkTalk in regards to letting us leave the contract; If so then I am more than happy to take this case to a small claims court.

I will getting in contact with someone in your management department to further escalate the complaint.

SSanderson

Message 4 of 29

Hi SSanderson,

I can only apologies for the issue with the engineer visit, I know it must be very frustrating and inconvenient

Chris

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 5 of 29

@bigkenny That is off topic really. And I didn't jump on anything really if you look at my posts in the round. But you are dead wrong, I am on the customer's side as always. 

0 Likes

bigkenny
Problem Solver
Message 6 of 29

ferguson I’m not going to get into a fight with you as your on TT side as always. You’re not looking at the customer’s original dilemma you’ve just jumped on this pole/cable thing that he did (or got someone to do) if TT/Openreach would have done their jobs as they should have we would not be having this discussion…………the poor chap would not have paid for an outside subbie to do the Openreach work (which we ALL agree he should not have).

ferguson
Community Star
Message 7 of 29

@SSanderson I am just reflecting on all the comments you have received by the way, my own included. None of them are likely to be of much comfort, but there has been no intention to excuse any actor on the provisioning side. I certainly had no intention other than to clarify. It is almost an object lesson in what a poor network system we have for many of us in the UK. And I still think it is worth having a word with that so-called "engineer" who made you £140 poorer. 

ferguson
Community Star
Message 8 of 29

Again, tragically, Openreach will not make a judgment before they come on site.  Even if the issue seems blindingly obvious.  😟

0 Likes

Message 9 of 29

Just to reiterate the point, the cable was cut (physically cut off from the pole) of course a pole engineer would be required 

SSanderson
0 Likes

Message 10 of 29

The point is Ferguson that they were told well in advance, multiple times infact that a pole engineer would be required, someone from Openreach even surveyed the property prior to said engineer's arrival 

SSanderson

Message 11 of 29

Hi @bigkenny 

Thank you, I'm aware of this now. Seems I was misinformed, but thankfully no damage done! 

Yes it is quite something how they've countered addressing my original problem as you suggest.

I have never received such poor customer service in my life.

SSanderson

ferguson
Community Star
Message 12 of 29

@bigkenny I fail to see how anybody "parked the bus?" An Openreach engineer attended to make the connection; they advised that they couldn't because it required a pole engineer; this inevitably led to a further delay which left the customer understandably dissatisfied, so they decided to take the matter into their own hands; subsequent communication about dates seems to have been poor, but at the end of the day we are all at the mercy of Openreach.

bigkenny
Problem Solver
Message 13 of 29

Hi SSanderson I can understand your frustration but just to agree with what the people from TT are saying from the BT Master socket in your house you can work on it but that original cable connection going back out the house is a no, no its all out of bounds to us mere mortals.

But it’s amazing how TT have picked up on this and not your original problem they seemed to have parked the bus on that problem…….so my sympathies go to you.

ferguson
Community Star
Message 14 of 29

There is no "hate," I assure you. It is actually illegal for anyone other than Openreach, or someone appointed by them to work on their network, something I am sure is aimed at situations far more serious than yours. Does the pole on your property carry just a single cable to your home? If there are other connections there imagine the consequences if someone other than Openreach had damaged them in any way. 

Openreach is a privately owned network with statutory responsibilities. It is not like booking private treatment to jump the NHS queue, which is an option for those who afford it. 

0 Likes

Message 15 of 29

Hi Ferguson,

Thanks for your advice on the situation.

Anyone with any sort of urgency would of gone private as soon as the initial engineer turned up unprepared despite being briefed on the situation multiple times.

I find it interesting and bewildering that there is so much hate towards a private engineer on the community board and 0 meaningful advise or sympathy on the situation. It's like Openreach are a monopoly that you can't even contact as an end user and when your middle man (TalkTalk) are useless you end up in a situation like this.

SSanderson
0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 16 of 29

@SSanderson I would have a not-so-quiet-word with the "engineer" you employed and ask them what on earth they were thinking about? Anybody experienced in Openreach network connections should have advised you that it was not a job they can do. 

0 Likes

Message 17 of 29

Hi Karl & Chris,

Just to follow on, you haven't addressed any of the points regarding your customer service in my original post. For example when I'm told all of these different agendas and dates by your agents. When I'm told an engineer is coming I have to wait in 8-1 and would of done the same tomorrow if I hadn't of heard the 14th from yourselves just now. If you could of clearly communicated a timescale we would of been able to make arrangements and work around it. 

Some empathy from your side would be nice, rather than trying to find wrong doings on my end. 

Thanks,

Saul

SSanderson
0 Likes

Message 18 of 29

Hi Karl,

Okay, that is most distressing news but we shall wait as apparently there no other alternative.

Could you please just confirm that they will arrive properly equipped as when the original engineer arrived he was unfortunately not.

Apologies regarding the pole, if what you say is correct then it seems I was wrongly advised. However when Openreach eventually arrive they should be content in the quality of the work.

Thanks for your help,

Saul

SSanderson
0 Likes

Message 19 of 29

Hi Saul, 

This is not something we can effect, and are reliant on Openreach and their timescales / availability.

Even though the pole itself is on private property, the line is part of the Openreach network and they will only allow their own engineers or official subcontractors to work on their lines.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

Message 20 of 29

Hi Chris, That's terrible news, are you able to do anything about this? I think we may have to look for an alternative service provider.  A provider that doesn't lie to us would be preferable.

I phoned a number of private engineers to get a range of opinions and was told that providing it was on private property it wouldn't be a problem.

Any particular reason for such a bad service and confusion from TalkTalk's side?

Thanks,

Saul

SSanderson