FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speeds have dropped by quite a way. Help please

jimmymumu
Whizz Kid
Message 126 of 126

Woke up the morning of the 14th to find my sppeds were running around 6mbps , way down from 55mbps. All day long it's been hovering anywhere between 4mbps up to 26mbps. Had to restart the router and it came back briefly but then dropped off again. I'm connected direct to socket via cable on a desktop pc running windows 7. Wireless started dropping off and on, on my tablet and phone too last night and thought nothing of it and i don't know if it's part of the same problem

0 Likes
125 REPLIES 125

Message 41 of 126
Yes i did. Like i said it was fine at first. Reconnected the old router which rarely disconnects but my speeds at 1am with only me using the internet was 11mbps again. Don't you think it's too much of a coincidence that both routers by differing manufacturers both have problems with my phone line?
0 Likes

Message 42 of 126

Hi jimmymumu,

Thanks for the update and I'm sorry to hear this. Just to confirm, when you connected the replacement router did you change all the cables and microfilter?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 43 of 126

Hi. Just a quick update, Received the router but hadn't had chance to try it till today. At first it was good, upload was faster and download around 50mbps but after an hour or so it wouldn't stay connected for more than an hour or even less. Checked cabling even though this wasn't an issue before and found no obvious fault. Did try rebooting the router but still it disconnects. So back to my old unstable router i go. Anything you can suggest please.

0 Likes

Message 44 of 126

Hi jimmymumu,

Please let us know how the connection compares 🙂

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 45 of 126

Thank you

0 Likes

Message 46 of 126

Hi jimmymumu

Thanks for your reply.

The DSL3782 router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 47 of 126
Yes please. I can't see it being any worse than what's happening now. Thank you
0 Likes

Message 48 of 126

Hi jimmymumu

Would you like me to send a DSL3782 router to see how the connection compares?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 49 of 126
I've only tested with the HG633 router.
0 Likes

Message 50 of 126

Hi jimmymumu

Have you recently tested with a HG633 and DSL3782 router?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 51 of 126
All I want is my internet working and don't see the point in being passed on to another dept just to go through the same things I've done. Surely my line/router must be telling you there's something wrong. Is there nothing else you can do?
0 Likes

Message 52 of 126

Hi jimmymumu,

I'm really sorry to hear this. Would you like me to raise a complaint to our CEO's Office? You would then be contacted by a Complaints Manager to discuss this further.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 53 of 126
And tonight I can't even get web pages to load. Spent 10 minutes trying to log in on PC and I'm posting this via mobile on my data. Tried all the usual but this is the worst it has ever been. Can't access any sites on PC or laptop. Please don't try to say it's my pc or too many things on the network, I consider myself quite savvy PC wise. There are quite a few less connections than normal and my last speed test came back at 0.9!! Not having this.
0 Likes

Message 54 of 126

Sorry forgot to mention my speeds today. They vary from 2mbps right up to 20mbps. Not even close to the 42mbps promised or even the 54mbps i receive on a good day

0 Likes

Message 55 of 126

So here i am, nearly 1am. There is only me awake and nearly all devices connected to the internet are either switched off or not in use. My speeds all day have been awful even after rebooting the router. Any improvement lasted less than an hour. Think it's time to either put in an official complaint via Ofcom or whatever process is used and if that doesn't fix my problems then after many years, i fear it may be time to move to another provider. This is not a new problem and has never been sorted out fully. I've done all you ask but still my service is poor. Could you explain why I've not been offered a refund on my payments, after all I'm not getting the service I'm paying for and haven't been for months. TalkTalk seem quite happy to take my money but not so happy to fix my problems

0 Likes

Message 56 of 126

OK, thanks for the update

Chris

0 Likes

Message 57 of 126

Just had a disconnection, which i presume is down to you guys doing a test. Speed is running normal for now..

0 Likes

Message 58 of 126

Thanks for the information,

The next time the speed drops can you try switching off any devices in your home that connects to the router except one and then try another speed test on that device to see if the speed improves

Chris

0 Likes

Message 59 of 126

I have several mobile phones connected via Wi-Fi and a TV via cable. None of these affect my download speed unless they are watching YouTube  and even then only slightly. Even with the devices connected the speed still stays around 54. I'm on the pc way after everyone is in bed and there are no extra devices using the internet at that time and still my speed drops. I hope you're not going to suggest that this is my problem because if it was, how come I've just had nearly a full week of full speed with the same devices connected. There is no logical reason for my speed drop. I've done everything you've asked. Checked my cables done several speed tests, ping and tracert, reset or full reboot of said router. At one point i even purchased my own netlink router (which has since been returned) it made no difference at all. Sometimes it comes back on its own. Last night at around 1am it was down to 12, awoke at 7am this morning to be running at 43. It had neither been restarted or lost connection.

0 Likes

Message 60 of 126

No it's not normal. What devices do you currently have connected to your router?

Chris

0 Likes