cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

TalkTalk Modem (F@ST 4370) connecting to g.fast

ypwlng
Participant
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 11 of 11

I have been sent the TalkTalk Modem (FAST 4370) to replace my OpenReach (MT992) g.fast modem.  

I notice the TalkTalk modem takes just over 4.5 minutes to establish a connection (from power-on).  The OpenReach one is faster.  Is this normal for the TalkTalk modem?

It takes a long time 'updating' (middle LED flashing).

0 Likes
10 REPLIES 10

Message 1 of 11

Hi

G.fast is considered as fibre (FTTC) with an element of copper from the cabinet.

The G.fast modem should remain powered on at all times once connected so there are no issues or changes in profile by the line monitoring system.

We now need to await the engineer findings before we can offer further advice.

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

ypwlng
Participant
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 11

I notice that the TalkTalk modem establishes connection for the TalkTalk router faster than if I use my own router.  (EdgeRouter 4).  My observation is that the TalkTalk modem does the following upon power up

at about 46 seconds a relay 'clicks', and then 'clicks' again at about 56 seconds

at about 56 seconds it finds the g.fast signal (left LED flashing fast, white colour)

at about 1:30 it establishes a connection to the internet

then it starts "updating" (middle LED is flashing)... then depending on which router is used, one of the following:-

if TalkTalk router - it offers a connection reasonably quickly, after a short period of 'updating'

if non-TalkTalk router - it can take up to 7 minutes total, to offer an IP address to the router; it spends a lot of time 'updating'.  What it seems to do after a long period is then disconnect to the router (WAN LED goes off) and then reconnect (WAN LED goes on) and then it is fine - an IP address is presented to my router.

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Set-up-a-non-TalkTalk-router/ta-p/2205383 is your web page for non-TalkTalk routers.

Please can you let me know if g.fast is considered "fibre" ?  And if not - are there any different settings (MTU, etc) for g.fast ?

If I have to continue using the TalkTalk modem I would like it to connect reasonably quickly (not have to wait up to 7 minutes for it to 'update' each time).  Of course - I plan to leave it on all the time once this is all sorted, but the point is it should not need to take so long to connect.

Thank you.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 11

Hi

Sorry, yeah, thought you still had the MT992 connected.   Lets see what the engineer diagnoses and what he recommends.  We may then need to swap out the modem or router based on this.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 11

@Karl-TalkTalk I am referring to the TalkTalk modem (Sagemcom 4370), not the TalkTalk router (Sagemcom 5364).  I have no problem with the router.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 11

Hi

The MT992 modem is connected, the sagemcom only has to be issued an IP address from the modem, so should establish a connection quicker unless there could be an issue with the modem.

Please let us know what the engineer finds tomorrow. You can also ask him about the modem and if he is able to swap it.

Karl.

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

Message 6 of 11

For the last 2 months my internet speed has been gradually decreasing, and becoming more and more intermittent with frequent disconnections.  Eventually the Engineer said the modem (MT992) needs to be replaced.  TalkTalk sent a replacement modem (Sagemcom FAST 4370).  The upload/download speed for the TalkTalk modem is slightly slower than the MT992.

In any case - although now my connection is more stable, the speed is not good like it normally is.  Engineer is visiting tomorrow again, and I hope they can fix it so that I have my usual upload and download speed (150/30).  Currently it is more like 90-100 download, 10 -12 upload.

My question is about the TalkTalk (Sagemcom 4370) modem.  Compared to the MT992, the TT modem takes more than 4 1/2 minutes to establish a connection.  Is that normal - it is much longer to connect compared to the MT992.

0 Likes

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 7 of 11

Hi ypwlng

I'm sorry to hear this.

Are you having connection issues daily where you have to reboot the router and modem?

0 Likes

Message 8 of 11

I would probably restart the router first, but fair enough. 

This has been flagged to the support team for you, bear in mind that they may not respond until after the Bank Holiday. 

0 Likes

ypwlng
Participant
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 9 of 11

I have been having connection problems, so, restarting the modem is something that I decided to do, and as part of the troubleshooting process.  You would probably restart your modem if you had the same issues.

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 10 of 11

I have never heard of that device to be honest, but if it is a modem, why would you turn it off?

0 Likes