FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Uploading files kills my internet speed

Paul_PD
Popular Poster
Message 22 of 22

Hello TalkTalk, 

Whenever I upload a a couple of large files to the internet, my internet speed grinds to a crawl for the entire household.

As an example, please see the speed test taken, as I was uploading a couple of files to OneDrive.   

SlowSpeedTalkTalk.png

Here you can see the ping had increased to 589 milliseconds and the download was 9 Mbps.  

Normally I get 7 milliseconds ping response and 35-38 Mbps download.

It basically renders the internet slow to unusable for my household whilst I upload.

I suspect I'm getting the same issue as mentioned in other similar posts. It seems that replacing the router has fixed it for others. I'll try that if it's possible?

Thanks,
Paul

0 Likes
21 REPLIES 21

Hungrymarco
First Timer
Message 1 of 22

Hi,

Not sure if this was resolved, I've basically had the same issue. My wife is a digital artist and uses OneDrive to manager her art assets, the files are huge (1gb+). I've noticed this issue when OneDrive is syncing the file. I went through the emotional roller-coaster you appear to have been on and got as far as almost ordering a new router, getting an engineer in - which would have been costly... However, I played around with the settings on OneDrive and found a sweet spot where files upload and everyone still gets to browse the web - 500kbs - which is ridiculously low, we tend to unrestricted going out or on weekends, to get her drive up to date.

Settings > network > download rate > 500 > save.

naughtyonedrive.png

0 Likes

Message 2 of 22

Can everyone please be warned if you are sent out a replacement router,

• that no mention of sending the old one back is given, yet 5 months later you will get an email requesting to return it  in the bag they (claimed they) sent you or face a £50 fine two weeks later 
  • Even though you are 8 months into a 18-month fixed price, 'no price rises guaranteed' contract, Talktalk are now increasing costs £2 per month. Appalling. Scandalous. - they advertised no mid-contract rises, only to do the very thing they said they wouldn't 
  • Now they are trying to push me a Fixed Price Plus plan  'we guarantee to completely fix your broadband price'.   Do they think we can trust any promises they make now????
0 Likes

Message 3 of 22

Can someone in the OCE team please help me?

I am distressed about this

1) When you organized the replacement router, back in October, I was at no time asked to return the router, nor told about a £50 charge.

2) I have never been sent a returns pack / bag for it this day.

Please advise what can be done? I do not want a £50 charge.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 22

Thanks for letting me know.

Can someone in the OCE team please help me?

1) When you organized the replacement router, back in October, I was at no time asked to return the router, nor told about a £50 charge.

Please advise what can be done? I  do not want a £50 charge.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 22

You can toggle the option to 'off', by keying 'Not the best answer' from the - top / right - Options Menu @Paul_PD ........................

2021-02-11 18_18_56-Solved_ TALKTALK COMPLAINT! - TalkTalk Help & Support – Mozilla Firefox.jpg

~R.

0 Likes

Message 6 of 22

Hello,

Hope the team is keeping safe. 

I am sorry, but I don't know why my post from yesterday has been marked as best answer and solved.

I got some legitimate concerns, can someone be able to help with the above?

Regards

Paul

0 Likes

Message 7 of 22

Hello OCE Team

I got an email on 19 Feb  saying to return the Wi-Fi Hub and " You’ll receive your returns pack in the next few days containing your returns bag and prepaid, pre‑addressed postage sticker."

Now today I get another reminder email from yourselves saying to return the Wi-Fi Hub by the 02-04-21, and if I miss this deadline I will be charged £50. I am told to "put all the equipment you’re returning into the bag we recently sent you"

Please advise what can be done? I  do not want a £50 charge.

Paul

0 Likes

Message 8 of 22

OK thanks for the update Paul, please let us know how you get on with the previous router

Chris

Message 9 of 22

Thanks @Chris-TalkTalk 

Yes, I have restricted OneDrive's upload speed, and it helps.

But the Huawei router seems to have caused issues with Zoom meeting dropouts and glitches, and my son also says he's been disconnected from many Fifa games, and that never happened with the Sagem router.

So I may swap back to the previous router over the next few days..

Regards

Paul

0 Likes

Message 10 of 22

Hi Paul,

Unfortunately I don't think you'd benefit from the speed boost as your speeds aren't high enough. Did you have any luck with restricting the upstream bandwidth available to OneDrive?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 11 of 22

Phone 03451 720046 (not Sunday, and you do need to wait for preliminary messages to conclude) or use Chat, any day, from links on this page:

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Our-update-on-Coronavirus/ta-p/2468300

Staff won't be back on here before Monday, @Paul_PD, and they will be catching up from oldest to newest posts then.

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.

Message 12 of 22

Hi @Debbie-TalkTalk 

Sadly there is no option to add a speed boast. 

Regards,

Paul

0 Likes

Message 13 of 22

Hi Paul

Apologies for the delay.

If you log into My Account, does it give you the option to add a speed boost?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 14 of 22

Hi @Chris-TalkTalk 

Thanks for clarifying. I forgot that the we were talking about Mbits rather than megabytes, so yes you are right the 500KBs looks like most of my bandwidth. I will have a look at restricting  OneDrive.

Yes there were 3 of us on different devices  on the zoom meeting when the router then went unrecoverably slow, needing a reboot. What is strange is before this we were all used it fine for about 40 minutes. I am hoping it was just a glitch 

last time I checked the speed boost wasn’t available in my area, could you advise if it is? I would pay for that if it was 

Paul

0 Likes

Message 15 of 22

Hi Paul, 

500KB/s is around 4Mb/s. Current upstream sync speed is 5.3Mbps, throughput speeds would be slower than this so probably not a lot of additional bandwidth available when uploading to OneDrive so may be worth lowering the upstream bandwidth available to OneDrive to see if this has a positive effect

When you say that family member were on zoom, was this all via one device on multiple devices?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 16 of 22

Hi @Chris-TalkTalk 

thanks for the response

I am am able to change OneDrive settings, but I didn’t feel the need because  I observed it was uploading at about 500KBps which is nowhere near the available  upload bandwidth. Which is 5Mbps shown on the router.

Also  the Huawei had the issue i described where l family members were on zoom and the whole router basically ground to a halt with 3Mbps download and 0 Mbps upload. Even though we then came off zoom the problem still remained until a reboot of the router.

I also observed on the previous router the upload speed tests would be between 5 and 6Mbps, on this new router all the test I run it should max 4.5 Mbps upload. 

Is there any thing that can be done?

kind regards

Paul

0 Likes

Message 17 of 22

Hi Paul,

Sorry to hear that there's no improvement with the Huawei. Are you able to manage/adjust your upload speed to OneDrive so that it's not using all the available upstream bandwidth?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 18 of 22

Hi @Debbie-TalkTalk 

I have been testing it for a few days since i received it.

Sadly it doesn't make much difference.

I upload two files to onedrive, and my speed gets killed. My ping goes up to over 500ms and the download rate drops from 34 Mbps down to about 8 - 10 Mbps.

Another issue this router ( huawei ) has that the old router (sagem) never had was that a few of my household were in a Zoom meeting this morning working fine, and then suddenly the connection died,  for all of us, and then I did a speed test to find out what was going on.

We only had a 3Mb download  and a 0Mb upload, even though we were no longer using Zoom

It did not correct itself, so eventually I rebooted the router to get back to normal.

Any ideas  or suggestions as to what I can try next?

Regards

Paul

0 Likes

Message 19 of 22

Hi Paul

Please let us know how you get on.

Thanks

Debbie

Message 20 of 22

Hi Karl,

Thank you so much for that. 

I will give it a try. Much appreciated.