cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

Using my old DG8041W router as an access point

Tombfowler
First Timer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 6

I recently had the fibre upgrade and new FAST 5464-2.T4 router, rather than throw away my old DG8041W, i thought i'd recylce it as an access point in the kitchen where my wifi coverage is spotty. 

Have connected it to the new router's LAN to via ethernet cable to the WAN port, logged in to the new router's IP address and found the new IP address for the old router, but whenever I try to login there to change settings, the new ip address times out. What am I missing here?

0 Likes
5 REPLIES 5

Message 1 of 6

Hi @Tombfowler 

Do you still need help with this?

Would you like me to switch the WIFI optimisation off first?

0 Likes

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 2 of 6

Thanks @KeithFrench

@Tombfowler  Would you like me to switch the WIFI optimisation off first?

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 6

Hi @Debbie-TalkTalk the HTML link of your Internet is not working AGAIN 

Hi @Tombfowler 

I assume that you want to keep everything on the same subnet (192.168.1.0)? It is best to configure the DG8041W before connecting it to the Sagemcom. First, give it an IP address outside of the DHCP address range configured in the 5464. Then disable the DHCP server in the Huawei, set all SSIDs & passwords up the same & using a WiFi analyser, to work out the best channels for both routers. You may want to get WiFi optimisation disabled on the 5464.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Piethorne
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 6

Unless you've changed it previously, it's quite likely that the LAN IP is set the same in both routers - 192.168.1.1

The LAN Host Configuration Primary IP in the DG8041 needs to be different ( say, 192.168.1.2 ) to prevent an IP conflict.

The easiest way to do this is to connect it to your PC with an ethernet cable and SWITCH OFF your main Sagemcom router. When you've changed the Primary IP you can switch your main router back on and connect the Huawei in the way you intended.

I'm just a customer who might be able to help, not official help & support.
0 Likes

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Private Message

Message 5 of 6

Hi Tombfowler

@keithfrench provides really good advice on improving wireless performance. Could you help please Keith?

KeithFrench is one of our valued Community Stars and can help with a range of issues related to wireless and networking. At times he may ask you to send him test results via a Private Message to help analyse/diagnose an issue.  Although Keith does not work for TalkTalk, he very kindly shares his time and knowledge to help with others.  If you need further help or, if we need to take any details such as personal information about your account like phone numbers, account numbers etc.  one of the TalkTalk team will jump in and help out.

Thanks