FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VPN

Kerpolican
Popular Poster
Message 9 of 9

Hi, is it possible to set up a VPN connection on my Talktalk router. If so can you direct me to the information I will need to do this. I have 2 smart TVs and I would like the benefits of the VPN on them as well as other devices.

Grumpy old git
0 Likes
8 REPLIES 8

Message 1 of 9

To get VPN on your smart TV you could follow the suggestions here, or for alternative ideas do an internet search for "VPN on Smart TV" but as @martswain said you cannot load VPN software on a TalkTalk Hub or router.

0 Likes

Divsec
Community Star
Message 2 of 9

Hi @Kerpolican completely agree with @martswain bite the bullet and yourself to a new router/modem Asus are good similarly Draytek. I see good people reports for Fritz box but have not used them

I don't work here and all my opinions are my own.

martswain
Philosopher
Message 3 of 9

@Kerpolican 

You cannot load VPN software to any TT router or HUB,

Full stop.

Message 4 of 9

Thanks for that. I have installed the VPN on several devices and all seems good but I wanted the same privacy on my 2 smart TVs and thought the simplest way would be to add it to the router. I don’t really want to purchase a VPN enabled or compatible router. Thanks

Grumpy old git
0 Likes

Kerpolican
Popular Poster
Message 5 of 9

Hi Debbie, I was hoping to set up the VPN on the router itself so that all traffic passed through. I have successfully added it to devices like phone but I wanted it to cover TVs. Do you think that’s possible. I can get a VPN enabled router and some will accept the app but I wanted to know if and how I would add it to my Talktalk router.

Grumpy old git
0 Likes

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 6 of 9

Hi Kerpolican

VPN is not set up on the router but the router should work ok if you have a VPN client installed on your device.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Divsec
Community Star
Message 7 of 9

Hi @Kerpolican a good answer from @Birchcroft if that is what you need a bit third party router is the answer but beware the significant drop in performance, 30%or worse. 

I don't work here and all my opinions are my own.
0 Likes

Birchcroft
Philosopher
Message 8 of 9

Hi @Kerpolican  TalkTalk's routers do not have VPN client or server software.   They allow VPN pass through but the devices need  would need to run the appropriate VPN client and you would need to use a paid for/free VPN service.   The alternative solution would be to use a 3rd party router which provides VPN support or use a Raspberry pi on your network to provide a VPN to devices connecting to the internet through it.