FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

banded profile after power cut

stuf83
Conversation Starter
Message 18 of 18

Hi, It looks like we have been banded after some electrical work that caused router to power cycle about 20 times in a few hours. The line has remained stable for over a month or so and I have tried turning the router off for 30 mins and back on but the my actual speed remains at 59995kbps with an SNR of 7.4db. We have tried another TT router and the speed is the same so it does appear to be banded given the precise 59995kbps.

We had a similar issue a few years ago when we were with BT and an engineer was sent to do a DLM reset as it couldn't be reset remotely by Openreach. Is this still the case? or can it be reset remotely, If not can it be arranged for an OR appointment to reset it @Michelle-TalkTalk ?

We are out of contact in a few months and would prefer staying with TalkTalk as we have been with them for a few years but it has been suggested that if we move to another provider like BT that will also reset and retrain the DLM and the banded profile will be removed.

Thanks 

0 Likes
17 REPLIES 17

Message 1 of 18

Thanks for the update, glad to hear that the engineer was able to reset DLM

Chris

0 Likes

Message 2 of 18

Hi @Chris-TalkTalk it wasn't a great experience. TalkTalk customer service advised that the engineer would be going to the exchange and as mention in the above post to @Michelle-TalkTalk however the openreach engineer turned up at the house as he wasn't sure what the issue was as there was little information available to him on the fault logged. He tested the line from outside and couldn't find any issues. I asked about the DLM reset as this should have been added to the fault but he was unaware of this as he was a voice and not a data engineer. I asked if he could call control for a remote dlm reset as this line was banded to due a lot of power cycles when we had an electrician at the house a few weeks ago. He managed to get the dlm reset by speaking to a colleague due to little information on the fault but I don't believe that was the process but think he was a bit embarrassed as having no information about the issues. overall the Openreach engineer was really helpful and the lack of information form TalkTalk worked in my favour for a remote dlm reset.  

Openreach has informed ISPs with Fibre-to-the-Cabinet (FTTC / VDSL2) and G.fast broadband lines that they will “soon” be deploying functionality that allows providers who wish to purchase this to amend Dynamic Line Management (DLM) profiles on customer lines and this should be available from the 26th of November so hopefully that will be thing easier when the DLM doesn't remove banded profiles when there is no issues on the line https://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/products/pricing/notificationDetails.do?data=ThQLPOgdo8c%2FpcQ... 

0 Likes

Message 3 of 18

Hi stuf83,

Thanks for the update, how are you getting on?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 4 of 18

Hi @Michelle-TalkTalk we have spoken to talk-talk who called as a detected voice fault on the line. An engineer is going to the exchange tomorrow to check the frames. Talktalk customer service advised the OR engineer can perform a remote dlm reset as the profile is still banded and this should have been added to the fault. 

I wasn’t aware that a dlm reset can be done without an engineer visiting the house but will see what the next day or so brings. 

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 5 of 18

Hi stuf83,

Have you been contacted by our Network Team since my last post?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 6 of 18
Ok thanks

Message 7 of 18

Hi,

I've passed this over to our Network Team now and have asked them to take a look and I'll post back as soon as I receive an update.

Thanks

Message 8 of 18

Hi @Chris-TalkTalk I have left it a few days since your message on Monday and the line is still at 59995 with a SNR of 7.5db the UL has a SNR of 6db so it looks like the profile is still banded.

0 Likes

Message 9 of 18

Hi stuf83,

If you could give it another 48 hours, if DLM doesn't alter your speed I'll ask our network team if there's anything else that we can do. 

Thanks

Chris

Message 10 of 18

Hi @Chris-TalkTalk I don't believe the line is faulty as it was due to a lot of power cycles from the router due to electrical work. Last time Openreach done a DLM reset as that was the only way to reset the profile. So far the DLM hasn't un-banded the profile and the line has remained stable. 

I appears that if the DLM doesn't resync to remove the band (which it rarely does) and you won't arrange for an Openreach appointment the only way for it to reset is for me to leave TalkTalk for another provider in-order for line to reset. is this the only way or have I missed something?

Thanks 

0 Likes

Message 11 of 18

Hi stuf83,

I'm sorry but as your speeds are well within the predicted range for your line and well above the guaranteed minimum we can't raise this as a fault to Openreach. If the connection remains stable with a low error count DLM should automatically move you to a faster profile

Chris

Message 12 of 18

Hi @Michelle-TalkTalk as I thought in my original post. If it can only be done by openreach can this be arranged for them to come out and perform a dlm reset if you are unable to removed the banded profile remotely?

Thanks

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 13 of 18

Hi stuf83,

Unfortunately we can't reset this as this would usually be completed by an Openreach engineer as part of there fault investigation. When DLM is reset we also can't guarantee that the speed wouldn't reduce slightly again as DLM will make changes to the speed if the connection looks stable or if there are a high number of errored seconds on the line.

How is the overall performance of the connection? Are you experiencing slow throughput speeds, slow web pages, streaming issues, etc?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 14 of 18

Hi @Michelle-TalkTalk last time the profile had to be reset BT had to send someone out from open reach in order to do a DLM reset but that was a few years ago so I wasn't sure if it could be now done remotely but doesn't look like it can. The Router is connected via the openreach test socket with a microfilter before the profile was banded and the line is still showing 59995 

Thanks 

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 15 of 18

Hi stuf83,

Ok thanks for confirming. Unfortunately we can't request a specific profile as this is managed by DLM to provide the best balance between stability and speed for the line. Does your master socket have a test socket? If it does then would it be possible to connect the microfilter and router at the test socket for at least 48hrs so we can see if DLM makes any changes to the sync speed?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 16 of 18

Hi @Debbie-TalkTalk  I don’t believe there are any faults on the line apart from it appears that the line has been banded. The range would normally be around 65-68 mbps with a snr of 6db thanks 

0 Likes

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 17 of 18

Hi stuf83

I'm really sorry to hear this.

I've completed a line test which hasn't detected any faults and your line is in sync at 60mb. What speed were you previously receiving?

Thanks

Debbie