cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

Eero Pro 6 allows online CCTV but not via a switch

Splodge
Team Player
Private Message
Message 22 of 22

Hello Community - I will try to keep this simple and low on detail for now for ease of reading 🙂

Problem: eero Pro 6 does not allow Hikvision CCTV to connect to the internet via an unmanaged switch so remote viewing of CCTV is impossible with this method.

Non-negotiables:

I need to view the Hikvision feed online, not just via a wired connection

I need to use a switch because there are five wired devices connected e.g. the VOIP kit for phone calls.

I have been in contact with TalkTalk, eero support and a local Hikvision support agent but still no solution yet so my first question here is:

Tuesday the 21st of November marks 28 days since installation which I think is the deadline for sending the eero equipment back – is that statement true please?

I would much rather have a fix for this of course and many things have already been tried including factory reset of the Hikvision and verification of correct configuration by Hikvision engineer (albeit over the phone).

My previous TalkTalk router for FTTC (Sagemcom FAST 5364) allowed the Hikvision to go online via a switch but the eero does not allow it now I am on FTTP. The eero DOES allow it when I connect the Hikvision to the single remaining port (the other port is of course for the ONT which needs to be directly connected to the eero).

I still have the previous TalkTalk router and from what I have read it is also ok for FTTP but a little bit slower. In my brief test I lost 53MB/s DL speed, which is acceptable when it is a near Gigabit connection. I also still have my previous Deco M5 mesh system with three nodes so I could revert to that and return the eero nodes (x2) and have a more wide reaching signal in my house.

My second question is has anyone come across this before and more importantly been able to fix it?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

0 Likes
21 REPLIES 21

Message 1 of 22

Hi

If you start your own thread (new message), we’d love to help.

We’ve found that posting in someone else’s conversation makes it harder to follow when looking for an answer.

It’s easier and quicker if we can chat with you in a single thread, if you start your own thread, that will keep our community organised and help others with a similar problem.

Check your home phone number or account number are also added to your Community Profile as that will really help us to find your details quicker.

Thanks

Karl

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Latch75
First Timer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 22

Hi, I have the same problem since upgrade to full fibre. My Ethernet cable from router will not pass any data through my TP link 5 port switch so unable to supply my smart tv and swann CCTV system at the same time. It was ok before the upgrade. Any advice appreciated ?

0 Likes

Message 3 of 22

In my case with the three Deco M5 nodes that I have it will give me slightly superior mesh coverage to the eero. To be fair that is only comparing against two eero nodes. The Deco should give me up to 5500 sq ft of coverage.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 22

The Sagemcom would always be my preferred option, but what is the WiFi coverage of it?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Message 5 of 22
Context for accepted solution:
There is nothing 'wrong' with the ethernet cable, eero router or TP-Link switch when connecting my CCTV to the internet.
Although I cannot apportion 'blame' on any one of them, I have to remove one of them from the chain to be successful as they do not play nicely together.

Successful tested options:
1 Replace ethernet and it works (with switch)
2 Replace eero with Sagemcom and it works (with switch)
3 Remove switch and it works

For my personal circumstances I can only really opt for 2 - go back to the old TT hub.
Option 1 in my house necessitates rerouting the cable to the front of my house - easy for someone to simply cut the CCTV cable
Option 3 means I can only choose only one of five wired devices including my CCTV and VOIP home phone
0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 22

The switch is not faulty from what I can see, a managed one is a total overkill in your scenarion & what would be the cost? OK, you have the Eeros, but unless you use any WiFi 6 devices any speed improvements over the 5364 would be non-existent. 

Sorry Cat 6 would be fine, but here is a comparison for you:-

https://www.cdw.com/content/cdw/en/articles/hardware/cat5-vs-cat6-ethernet-cables.html 

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

Splodge
Team Player
Private Message
Message 7 of 22

Hikvision representative recommending replacing switch with a network managed Smart switch e.g. Hikvision Smart Managed Series (!). At this point I am sceptical about the merits and I've already got three switches in my household. He also said the Cat5e is ok for the CCTV system and to get the LAN properly tested (somehow).

I am going to get a second opinion from a network savvy CCTV installer who installs Hikvision but does not work for them, and then I will decide what to do.

My current thoughts are to revert back to my old system and resign myself to slightly slower speeds and miss out on all the eero features and functionality. To repeat myself, multiple wired devices and remote access to my CCTV system is an absolute imperative. I also don't fancy having my CCTV killed by an intruder by the simple act of cutting the proposed cable at the front of my house.

0 Likes

Message 8 of 22

They are excellent proposals, thanks. Cat5e is in use at present and I'm getting up to 940Mbps on speed tests. Alas, PLA is not an option for me because they are on different electrical circuits. None of this would be an issue if there was a third port on the eero but I guess they want to keep it as small as possible. I have a buyer on standby for my Deco mesh and because the coverage is relatively poor in the far reaches of my house I might need to request a third eero node from TT to cater for that. TT have just confirmed to me that I can keep the eeros regardless but obviously I will return anything that I am not using out of the old Sagemcom and new eero routers.

What does Cat6a provide that Cat5e does not, is it merely speed and stability? I'm trying to understand whether it would be worth paying extra, if indeed it is more costly.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 9 of 22

Hi @Splodge 

You might get away with Cat5e, but very unlikely with just Cat5. With Gigabit Ethernet, you really should be using Cat6a.There is a third option - an Ethernet only Powerline Adapter, provided that each PLA unit is on the same electrical ring circuit, then a fourth would be to buy another Eero from TT & use it as a Mesh. However, you already have your Deco on that front.

What would be your ideal solution & I'll see if I can come up with more suggestions?

Keith

0 Likes

Message 10 of 22

Definitely less than 100m, more like 20 and it's Cat 5.

I've been told by my electrician friend (more like family) that unfortunately it is not possible to replace the ethernet using the same route due to the fact we've had building work done and they won't be able to get it though the new flat roof and into the loft etc.

They've got a guy who knows about all of this stuff so I can contact him tomorrow. He might be able to assist but if not then I will need to either:

a) Return the eero as not fit for my specific purpose of remote CCTV via switch. This may be too late now but no one has replied to that question yet. I would then have to resort to my previous TalkTalk router and my own Deco mesh system.

b) Nuclear option of routing new cable around the bottom of the outside of the front and side of my house

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 11 of 22

I assume though, not more than 100M?

Keith

0 Likes

Message 12 of 22

I honestly don't know but it is considerable. I will definitely request Cat 6 on the back of what you have said.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 13 of 22

Hi @Splodge 

You're very welcome.

How long is the cable into the garage? Your new one would be best done with Cat 6 Ethernet cabling.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 14 of 22

I have finally found the solution thanks to you Keith (and also the Hikvision engineer who said the same). It was the last thing that I tried of course and it will be the hardest to fix but still relatively simple.

The issue is that the long RJ45 ethernet cable from the NVR in my garage does not work with the eero. Solution is to change the cable which I will ask my electrician to do as it goes through the back of cupboards, walls, under floorboards and the loft and into my garage. He installed the CCTV originally and used that cable.

I unplugged the cameras from the NVR and brought it inside and successfully connected to the internet using a different cable but still via the switch. This means that nothing is inherently wrong with the switch, the eero or the CCTV equipment but the eero just did not communicate well enough with that particular cable.

Thank you Keith (and Michelle) for your kind assistance, you have been brilliant!

0 Likes

Message 15 of 22

Please let us know how you get on and thanks for your help @KeithFrench 

Michelle

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 16 of 22

I have been involved in working on & providing technical support on all aspects of IP networking for many, many years. From time to time I have come across similar problems. ItMy comments are not aimed at the Eero, your switch or camera, I would need all three pieces of hardware & your actual Ethernet cables in front of me to pass any comment on them. Going back some years there would always be the odd device that failed to auto negotiate speed & duplex correctly as well, resulting in disabling auto negotiate on the switch port. Of course, that was on a managed switch.

A very general rule is that if the RJ45 connectors on the ends of any Ethernet cable are of an unusual size or have a nice looking shrouds around the connector, then these have the potential to cause the connector to not properly seat into the port of any hardware that it is connecting to. Sometimes I have had to push the shroud away from the connector itself, before it would make contact correctly.

Keith

Message 17 of 22

Thanks, you may prove to be correct (fingers crossed) and I hope to find out soon.

Are you theorising that the TT eero maybe has an 'intolerance' to some RJ45 connectors when using a switch that the TT Sagemcom does not? Remember, the Hikvision NVR goes online just fine via the Sagemcom router using the exact same ethernet cables via the exact same switch but swap it for the eero and it fails.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 18 of 22

Hi @Splodge 

The more you say about the problem it does make me very suspicious of the cable or its RJ45 connectors not making correct contact with the switch or the interface on the Eero. I fail to see what it is going to achieve by contacting the Eero support when it works OK connected directly to an Ethernet interface on the Eero (or for that matter the 5364).

Keith

Splodge
Team Player
Private Message
Message 19 of 22

Sorry for the delayed response it's been crazy busy!

Thank you so much Keith and Michelle.

I've had to take a second day off work today to deal with this so your help is much appreciated. Yes, internet access is definitely available via the switch for all wired devices except the Hikvision NVR via the eero.
I've tried another switch with the same result and also trying different physical ports. I'm about to try another ethernet cable for the switch>router connection and I'm going to try bringing the NVR from the garage and therefore testing with a shorter ethernet cable. Out of desperation I've ordered a premium quality cable that will arrive today. I've contacted Hikvision to confirm the port numbers so that I can provide them to eero support.

I was going to call TalkTalk again today for question 1 because they were unable to call me back as promised after I went through various troubleshooting steps again. I am desperate to know if the deadline to potentially give up on the eero and send it back is tomorrow. I am only guessing 28 days from installation based on a hazy memory of something I read online.

The reason that this is so urgent is because I have an adult Daughter who is profoundly disabled and suffers from seizures and respiratory problems so we have a ceiling mounted internal camera above her bed so that we can keep an eye on her for example when we are watching tv at night. I'm not one to play the victim card but under the circumstances I would like to have more time to try and resolve this issue and have the option to return the equipment IF it transpires that the eero is inappropriate for my needs.

Michelle, I will allow some time for a response to Q1 but later today I might have to get on the phone to the relevant TalkTalk Team (I think it was 0345 172 0088)- what do you think?

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 20 of 22

Morning,

How are you getting on?

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes