cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

Erro 6 Wifi Channel Problem

NitaRoze
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 91 of 91

Hi

Had Fibre 150 installed a couple of hours ago. Mostly everything is ok. But I have found one big problem. I don't know how to change Wifi Channels 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz. 

Is this possible on an Erro 6?

But another big problem is not being able to choose between 2.4 ghz and 5ghz, for different devices. I can see from the app that my son's PS5 is really struggling upstairs stuck on 5 ghz. 

I have ordered another Erro 6 from Amazon, to see if this helps. It will go in his bedroom.

But to be fair...

Using Wifi Analyzer, I can already see that my old Netgear D6400 had way better Wifi than the Erro 6. 

I do think it is sad that we can't use our own routers if we have VOIP.

Please can someone help me with the Wifi Channel problem?

Thanks In Advance!

Nita

Nita
0 Likes
90 REPLIES 90

Message 61 of 91

Hello,

No problem. I've just chased the team for an update now.

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 62 of 91

Hi Michelle,

I appreciate your help.

Thank You!

Nita
0 Likes

Message 63 of 91

Good morning,

Thanks for the PM. If I don't receive an update today then I will chase this for you.

Thanks

Michelle

Message 64 of 91

Good afternoon,

No problem 🙂 I'll let you know as soon as this has been resolved.

Michelle 🙂

0 Likes

Message 65 of 91

Hi Michelle,

Thank you for helping me with this!

I did try to reply to you this morning on my phone. Something must have gone wrong. Because I can't find that reply. 

Thanks Again!

Nita
0 Likes

Message 66 of 91

Morning,

I've raised this over to our Devices Manager now and have asked for the fix to be applied. I will post back here as soon as I receive confirmation that this has been completed.

Thanks

Michelle

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 67 of 91

No it probably won't be if you can't access the 5GHz. Can you PM me the ap view from the analyser on Windows and then I'll tell you how to check which Eero it is connected to?

Hopefully TalkTalk will pick up the channel 149 issue tomorrow.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Message 68 of 91

Thank You, That would be great! I've never had problems like this with You Tube before.

At the moment FTTP 150 is not even as good as my old FTTC 65. 

Thanks Again!

Nita
0 Likes

Message 69 of 91

Hi Keith,

Quick update. 

Just tried You Tube. It is slow of fuzzy like yesterday.

Thanks!

Nita
0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 70 of 91

Hi Nita,

You actually have six SSIDs (two are the hidden ones for the connection between the two Eeros). Yes I think being stuck on 149 will not be very compatible with some network adapters. There has been a similar problem recently where they were stuck on channel 155. I'll see if TT can apply the same fix for you.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

Message 71 of 91

Hi Keith,

To be honest, I think my problems are more down to being on channel 149 than me connecting to my sons bedroom erro 6.

I've been really busy today. Not had time to test things like You Tube, Netflix, etc. But I'm back on my windows 10 laptop. So I've got the proper Wifi Analyzer. I can see much more than yesterday. I now realise that with two erro 6. You end up with four SSID. Two SSID on channel 149. And two SSID on channel 1. So glad I have a unique SSID name. Otherwise I would be totally confused. The entire neighborhood either has the original pre selected SSID name. Or there SSID are Hidden. I might have ended up with 4 SSID. But at least I can see they are mine. I just wish my 5 ghz channel was on 44.

I can see that my wifi can be 100% one second. Down to 70% or less the next second.

There is also another router using 149 as well now. One of the HIDDEN ones.

Thanks!

Nita
0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 72 of 91

Hi @NitaRoze 

This is always the first thing I check with mesh networks, is which mesh node are you connected to. This is down to how well the roam facility works in the network adapter in your Chromebook. I have not used a Chromebook, are any wireless properties of the adapter exposed to the UI in the Chrome OS? Some adapters in Windows PCs have a property called "Roaming Aggressiveness" that can help.

Obviously turning the unit off in his bedroom will solve this, only you can really make that choice.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 73 of 91

Hi Keith,

I have only just realised that my Chromebook has connected itself to my sons erro 6 in his bedroom. Rather than the Talk Talk supplied erro 6 . That is just a few meters away in the hall. My Chromebook hasn't even been upstairs. 

Now What?

Should I just turn his erro off while he is away working?

Thanks In Advance!

Nita
0 Likes

Message 74 of 91

Ha! As you say, see how it goes. The eero system is very much intended to work best as a mesh and the practice of sending just the one out to many customers has highlighted the pitfalls of using a solitary unit. Hopefully things will remain improved now you have two. 

0 Likes

Message 75 of 91

Hi Ferguson,

Not sure I have the knowledge needed to twiddle with the Granstream settings.

In the beginning I thought it would just be a case of, buy a router and connect it to the Grandstream ATA box. Or buy a router that is VOIP capable and get the VOIP settings off this forum.

But after a conversation with someone at broadband Buyer - broadbandbuyer.com 

I now realise it is not that simple. And that UK ISP's don't give out the VOIP settings.

Like I said to Keith. I've just bought another erro. So I'm going to have to at least give things a go now. It will probably be when my son starts having problems, I'll be after a Hub 2. I'm quite a light internet user. But he loves his XBox, PS5, Computer, Laptop. etc. Good job he does work away. Can you imagine the Electric Bill if he was always home. 

Nita

Message 76 of 91

Hi Keith,

I did know about the Sagemcom WiFi Hub 2. I just didn't get the choice to have one. 

It would also have cut down on the horrible wire mess that the Erro and the Granstream make together.

Now that I've bought a second erro 6. I think I'm going to at least have to give them a go. But the Sagemcom WiFi Hub 2 will never be far from my mind. Especially if I keep having days like today. 

Thanks Again!

Nita
0 Likes

Message 77 of 91

Just to concur with m'learned friend @KeithFrench I too use a Hub 2 in preference to an eero with my Fill Fibre 150 connection.

I don't see why having a VoIP service should prevent you from using a third-party router if you wish, although some tweaking and twiddling will probably need to be done with the settings on the Grandstream ATA.  

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 78 of 91

Hi @NitaRoze 

Most people now who get Fibre 150,  get the Sagemcom WiFi Hub 2 where Digital Voice is concerned, that is what I have. It is far more configurable than the Eero & can form a mesh with a new product called the Sagemcom FAST 266 WiFi Booster.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 79 of 91

Hi Keith,

I will keep a close eye on things over the next few days. I have one laptop two Chromebooks and my phone. So, I will be switching between them. The Chromebooks are almost the same. ( Long story how I ended up with two ). My son has many devices but he isn't here all the time because he works all over the country. He left for work last night. While he's away I'm hoping things will settle down. And maybe I can iron out any problems. I can see from Googling. People have been asking for erro's to have user channel selection for at least a couple of years. Why aren't they listening? Perhaps Talk Talk should change to a different mesh router brand. 

If I didn't need VOIP, I'd have just bought a different router. Probably a TP Link.

Thanks Again!

Nita
0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 80 of 91

Hi @NitaRoze 

The Eero in the 5GHz band can use any channel from 36 to about 155. However, some of these have restrictions applied to them by Ofcom over the frequency spectrum some of the channels use.

For instance, there is a band from 52 to 140 where another service has priority over WiFi & if detected, the router must move off this band of channels. Not all WiFi adapters have the electronics in them to use this channel group. Above that from 149 upwards, this restriction does not apply. However, only higher-specification WiFi adapters can use these channels. If the Eero starts using 149 & your adapter does not support this, then it will have no choice but to use the 2.4GHz band.

Perhaps this change happened whilst you were using YouTube? As you have only just started using two Eero's, see what it is like tomorrow. If this is the case, then I will ask TalkTalk to raise this with Eero, there was a problem recently, where the Eeros were stuck on channel 155.

Keith