cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

Help re-connecting wireless printer/scanner - new router

ANC_567
Team Player
Private Message
Message 44 of 44

Grateful for any help....

A month ago I changed to Full Fibre 65 and received a FAST 5464-2.T4 router. Since then it has been almost impossible to wireless connect my printer HP3050A J611n. It is on 2.4ghz band.

I've checked the wifi signal through the house, and actually the FAST 5464 seems no better if not worse than my old talktalk router, and to be honest the printer location ain't great (about-65dBm to -73dbm). However,  I've moved the printer near my router (about -35 dBm), but it still won't play ball.

I've tried countless WPS button set ups to connect the printer (it says the current configuration is WPA_PSK) but almost exclusively without success.

There is also a PIN set up option on printer wifi, but I've no idea where to get the PIN qnd where to enter it on my router settings (192.168.1.1).

I've seen suggestions of changing network names and SSID away from default (presumably having to reconnect all my other devices using this), but don't know if this would help.

Other thing I'm not sure about is all the stuff about (802.a/c/n??) or whatever those settings mean..can't remember what they actually are on modem and printer

As far as I know the drivers are as late as possible on printer

Where do I start? Do I also need to refer to HP help?

Many thanks

ANC
0 Likes
43 REPLIES 43

Message 21 of 44

Ok the next step would be to try a different channel on the 2.4ghz. Channels 1,6 and 11 are the non overlapping channels to use in 2.4ghz WiFi. It’s entirely possible the channel you have is extremely crowded from nearby WiFi. Can you try changing the channel. The only issue is if WiFi optimisation is enabled on the router. If you can turn if off then do so as it will undo the changes. This may require TT to disable the feature. Equally check the power settings. If on auto that’s equivalent to high which is not good. All plug and play routers use this setting as it makes life easier for the ISP but can have detrimental effect. As more power does not mean more speed or better connectivity under certain circumstances. Try setting to low for starters.

0 Likes

ANC_567
Team Player
Private Message
Message 22 of 44

Hi All,

Back from holiday and trying again, but seem to be going round in circles here. I've tried setting up with different devices.. PC Windows 10..Laptop Windows 10. I've deleted and downloaded different HP apps...HP Smart and cant recall what else, but the problem seems to lie with the connectivity..

Generally, the printer wireless light is flashing and looks like its failing to see any WiFi network, but I've discounted poor signal for the following:

- I've got it near the router

- I've checked the signal and its good

- Most confusing... a few times when ive powered it up, the printer detected the wifi and connected, shown a steady blue light, showed the IP address, and confirmed a full signal..... but then its dropped the connection and gone back to flashing blue light, and detected no network.

P.S. Hi Keith French, I'm afraid the HP deskjet 3050 display is different from the Envy it seems....the display doesnt give keypad options and so on..it just relies on a few commands, like the WPS push button set-up

ANC
0 Likes

Message 23 of 44

HP3050A J611n as per the OP.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 24 of 44

Hi @ANC_567 

Not knowing the exact HP printer that you have, but there should be another way, nothing to do with WPS. I used to have an HP Envy and on that, you could do a manual setup. Here the printer tells you which WiFi networks it can detect, you select your one, and enter your password manually. It does probably involve using some special key sequences to be able to enter the password, but your printer manual should tell you how to do this.

This is how I had to do it on my printer:-

Initially connect the printer to the Wi-Fi network. To do this, on the Printer Control Panel:-

1. Touch the Wireless icon

2. Touch the setup icon

3. Touch Wireless Setup Wizard

The detected SSIDs are shown below, touch the required one:-

WiFi network listWiFi network list

Touch OK in the next screen:-

Touch OKTouch OK

Enter the password with each key working like the letters on a mobile. The unencrypted password can be seen at the top of the screen, as you enter each character below:-

PasswordPassword

When OK touch Done & the password confirmation screen is displayed. Click OK on that screen.

Hopefully, the printer will now be connected to the router’s Wi-Fi OK:-

All doneAll done

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Message 25 of 44

FAST 5464-2.T4 router

ANC
0 Likes

Message 26 of 44

Really appreciate your help Mr Wrighty, and all points re: PIN taken on board now.

Thanks for the manual link anyway, I'll go back and look at all that  and start again, when I get home.

ANC
0 Likes

Message 27 of 44

Hi ANC_567

Which router are you using? (make and model)

0 Likes

Message 28 of 44

As I mentioned in my comment the pin option is not relevant in this instance that’s why you cannot find where to enter the PIN number.

We can only help based on information given so I would suggest there is something in your setup that isn’t quite right. 

I’ve connected many a printer to many a Wifi and never ever had an issue hence my suggestions. I was replying to your previous post where you mentioned using the WPS pin which is not relevant in this instance and why I referred to the use  of WPS.

Ive exhausted my suggestions I think so I’m out.

0 Likes

ANC_567
Team Player
Private Message
Message 29 of 44

Hi MrWrighty,

I really do appreciate all attempts to help, and i thank you for the HP manual excerpt, but i think you're missing the point.

Ive tried the WPS push button setup between printer and router several times, including with printer close to router, and it aint having it.

As you can see at the bottom of the manual excerpt, it says for PIN setup, to 'follow the instructions on the screen'....well, those instructions are to 'enter the (given) PIN into the router configuration page'...but I just cant see where in the router settings to enter a PIN! It may not work, but I'd like to  try.

ANC
0 Likes

Message 30 of 44

Defaulting or factory resetting the printer will have lost all previous settings.

WPS is a button you press on the router and then you use the same option in order to connect your device through the interface. I think the WPS pin you are seeing is connecting a computer to the printer.

On the router will be a WPS button and on the printer and option to connect using WPS. Following the instruction below. You need to press and hold the Wifi button then select WPS.

This would still rely on 2.4ghz working correctly and being accessible but worth a try.

small.png

Taken from the Printer manual http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02853536

0 Likes

ANC_567
Team Player
Private Message
Message 31 of 44

Thanks but am away on holiday now til the weekend, so will have to try again then.

Didnt get on very well. I found my old router SSID and password and changed to that, also turned off the 5gHz temporarily, but the printer wouldnt connect. Although i had already defaulted settings on printer, could that have been a wrong move meaning it forgot my old router as well?

What i am struggling with is the printer alternative to WPS push button set up...it gives me a PIN for that manual option, but I just dont know where I enter that PIN on my router config..sorry if that's a muppet question.

ANC
0 Likes

Message 32 of 44

Morning,

How are you getting on? Do you still need help with this?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 33 of 44

If you have separated your WiFi 2.4 and 5ghz there is no need to turn off the 5ghz. That only necessary on a shared SSID.

Try a factory reset of the printer and start again.

0 Likes

ANC_567
Team Player
Private Message
Message 34 of 44

Hi All,

I've now chnged my WIFI network name and password to that of the old router, changed the SSID of the 5gHz so that its different from 2.4, and also turned 5gHZ off while trying to connect the printer through WPS push button, but still no joy.

Now though my router dashboard shows the printer and its signal strength listed as a device on 2.4gHz, but the printer still shows a flashing 'no wifi'. 

Sorry, but if I try wifi set up by PIN on the printer, where do I enter this on my router settings? Doesnt seem obvious

ANC
0 Likes

Message 35 of 44

Hi ANC_567

Ok no problem. Let us know if you do need any further assistance.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 36 of 44

Things to do today...will try later or tomorrow with the printer. Thanks again though

ANC

Message 37 of 44

Hi ANC_567

How are you getting on? Do you need further assistance?

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 38 of 44

The simplest method, as I said in my initial reply, is to set the new router's SSID & password to that of your old router. You may need to reboot the printer afterwards.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

ANC_567
Team Player
Private Message
Message 39 of 44

Thanks all...

On way to work now so have to try tomorrow.

Sorry, bit clueless here.  How do you split SSID? Simply rename them?

Or how do u add a dedicated channel?

I think i tried defaulting the printer settings before an attempt to connect to new router

Thanks again

ANC
0 Likes

mrwrighty
Enlightened One
Private Message
Message 40 of 44

Some devices do not like connecting to SSID's that broadcast both 2.4ghz and 5ghz Wi-Fi. Go to your router settings, turn off 5ghz Wi-fi and then add your printer. Once connected you should be able to re-enable the 5ghz Wi-Fi.

Alternatively add a dedicated 2.4ghz SSID.