cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

Please Check My Phone Line?

CaptainNemo
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 56 of 56

Is there any chance someone in support could check my line at the moment. It seems to be dropping out and massive packet data loss!

Nothing has changed and it's been stable for weeks if  not months.

Something isn't right?

There seems to be massive crackling on the line today and I've just run a connection test on the TT website and it says there is a problem -help!

TIA Steve

0 Likes
55 REPLIES 55

Message 21 of 56

Hi Steve,

Ok thank you. Would it be ok to monitor this for a few days to see how the overall performance of the connection compares?

Michelle

0 Likes

CaptainNemo
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 22 of 56

Just switched back on. Very similar results.

Steve

Router 28/5/24Router 28/5/24

0 Likes

Message 23 of 56

Great, thank you. Keep us updated 🙂

Michelle

0 Likes

CaptainNemo
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 24 of 56

OK, will do that now.

Steve

0 Likes

Message 25 of 56

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the update. Have you tried powering down the router for a full 30 minutes since the fault has been resolved as this can clear the current session and can often improve the throughput performance.

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

CaptainNemo
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 26 of 56

Hi Michelle,

it seems pretty stable from when he left 👍

The connection speed (for my location) seems good and the SNR seems OK at around 6 but I’m not exactly sure what line attenuation means.

I guess packet loss will always be there and from this screenshot it’s seems to be not too bad at all.

Thanks so much for the support teams help in this - really appreciated!

Steve

Router screenshotRouter screenshot

0 Likes

Message 27 of 56

Morning Steve,

Thanks for the update and I'm glad to hear this 🙂 I've re-run the line test now and it's clear. How has your connection been over the weekend?

Michelle

0 Likes

CaptainNemo
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 28 of 56

Hi Michelle/Debbie, the BT Openreach engineer came around lunchtime and I explained the situation and we left him alone to do all his tests. He agreed there was an issue and eventually found there was a fault with the wiring to the small BT junction box next to the porch outside the house. He said when he opened the junction box and touched the wiring the contacts fell apart and so he repaired it. At least the fault was outside the property and so shouldn't be chargeable!

He said that at the moment everything now seems clear and to leave the Broadband connection for a week or two as the DLM has reset itself so it needs time to recalibrate.

Just out of interest I don't suppose you could test the line again to show there are no issues right now so we know where we are?

Obviously if it's clear I'll let you know it there's any further problems.

Many thanks for all your help - fingers crossed.

Steve 

0 Likes

CaptainNemo
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 29 of 56

…or even Debbie 😁

CaptainNemo
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 31 of 56

Thanks Michelle, will do 🤞

Steve

Message 32 of 56

Hi CaptainNemo

Thanks for your reply.

We've arranged the engineer visit for Friday 24/05 PM (1pm - 6pm)

Please let us know how you get on following this visit.

Debbie

0 Likes

CaptainNemo
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 33 of 56

Yes, I accept the conditions and I’m pretty flexible on when they could call.

Message 34 of 56

Ok, no problem. Could you just confirm that you accept the potential engineer charges here and also provide a few days availability then we'll arrange this visit for you.

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

CaptainNemo
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 35 of 56

I haven’t connected anything at the moment, but even connecting just the broadband router is causing packet losses and connection issues so I think an engineer is the next step. Yesterday was the final straw as we were using the phone and the crackling was so bad. It literally dropped out of the call.

0 Likes

Message 36 of 56

Just a thought, is the crackling still present at the moment with just a phone connected at the test socket?

Michelle

0 Likes

CaptainNemo
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 37 of 56

I’m inclined to go for an engineer visit because I have had nothing connected to the master socket with the face plate off whilst you’ve done all your tests. Therefore the fault can’t be with my equipment or router because you’ve found this loop fault. Also there has been a tremendous amount of crackling on the line so I can only assume there is a fault between me and the cabinet or beyond. My router which is a TP link has been working perfectly for over a year and now it is registering, a very low SNR of 2.5 and major packet losses. So I guess an engineer would be the next step so I agree to the possible cost if necessary and hope the problem is not internal.

0 Likes

Message 38 of 56

Hello,

Ok no problem. We've got 2 options, we can either send a new router, microfilter and cables which would fully rule out any equipment issues or we can arrange an engineer visit.

I mention the first option as we need to confirm acceptance of possible time related engineer charges for if the engineer finds a fault on your equipment or router as this would be a chargeable visit. If you'd like to test a replacement router at the test socket first then we can send this now. If you'd prefer an engineer visit then we just need you confirm acceptance of potential charges and also provide some availability for the visit AM (8-1) or PM (1-6).

Please let us know how you'd like to proceeed?

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

CaptainNemo
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 39 of 56

I don’t have a separate micro filter only the test socket. I think the problem could be intermittent, and so I would definitely opt for an engineer to call

0 Likes

Message 40 of 56

Hi again Steve,

Great thank you. Would it be possible to test the microfilter and router at the test socket for the next few hours to see if the connection is still unstable and you're still experiencing latency, as the next step will be to arrange an engineer visit to the property?

Michelle

0 Likes