cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

WORKING FROM HOME VPN ISSUES

NellyCath
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 21 of 21

Hello, 

Since moving to my new router and full fibre broadband I cannot access my work VPN. I've been on a help chat for over an hour but no help can be provided? I find this really hard to believe? 

I've read on other posts on here that firmware updates have been carried out on routers that have helped? 

Surely I'm not alone......help?! Please?!

Many thanks

Cath

NellyCath
0 Likes
20 REPLIES 20

Message 1 of 21

Hi NellyCath

I'm so glad to hear this, thanks for letting us know 🙂

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 2 of 21

Looks like it's all working fine now! 

Thanks so much for all your help. 

NellyCath

Message 3 of 21

Nothing should be blocked for outgoing connections so not sure what you will find in the firewall that might be causing this.

Also as this is a 3rd party VPN tool there maybe other issues to review..

0 Likes

Message 4 of 21

Hi

OK, let us know how you get on.  The default firewall level is medium.

Karl

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 21

Thanks - I still couldn't see it but needed to head to work so will try tonight once I am back home! 

Cath

NellyCath
0 Likes

Message 6 of 21

Thanks for the heads up - looks like It's been removed already! Phew! 

I've already removed the scam protection and re-tried yesterday but the VPN still wouldn't work. 

I'm going to try the firewall as per Debbie's suggestion once I am back home and on that network. I couldn't find 'firewall' in the device settings but ran out of time this morning!

Thanks again! 

NellyCath
0 Likes

Message 7 of 21

Can I suggest you remove that screen shot of your VPN connection. You have exposed both the VPN host and your username. If you need to post such content then obfuscate the details.

Can you also login to your online account and ensure that Scam protection is turned off. This will block VPN connections in some instances. With Scam Protection turned on I was unable to do remote support with my clients.

Login in to your account then go to My Security > Click Off against Scam Protection and test your VPN again.

0 Likes

Message 8 of 21

Hi NellyCath

If you log into the router admin page (password on the back of your router) under the settings there should be an option for firewall.

1. Open your browser and type in 192.168.1.1 to go to the router admin page
  2. Login with your router username and password. You’ll find these on the sticker underneath the removable settings card on back of your Wi-Fi Hub. If your router doesn't have a sticker, your default username and password will be set to 'Admin'.
0 Likes

Message 9 of 21

Hi Debbie 

I've gone through the link below to look at my router but I can't see anything to mention firewall in the settings.

Can you advise where to look in case I'm in the wrong place please? 

Many thanks

NellyCath
0 Likes

Message 10 of 21

Hi NellyCath

I'm sorry to hear this.

I've checked and your router has the correct firmware version that should work with VPN.

What level is the firewall set to? (in the router settings)

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 11 of 21

Thank you for getting me this far! 

NellyCath

Message 12 of 21

OK, thanks again. This is where my knowledge ends, so please wait for the support team to pick this up. 

Private Message

Message 13 of 21

image removed for security.

NellyCath
0 Likes

Message 14 of 21

It is, thank you . But it should work with most VPNs, which one are you using?

0 Likes

Message 15 of 21

TalkTalk Wi-Fi Hub 2
version SG4K100158

Is that the right info?

NellyCath
0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 16 of 21

Can you login to your router interface at http://192.168.1.1/? That will tell you the make/model and current firmware version.

EDIT: In fact you don't even actually need to login, that link will bring up the details.

0 Likes

Message 17 of 21

Yep that's the one 🙂 They used to have the makes and models on the back.....

Thanks

NellyCath
0 Likes

Message 18 of 21

OK, it sounds like a Sagemcom Hub in which case there is a plastic tab on the back which you can remove and check the model on the label beneath. But I think you have told us enough, thanks. 

0 Likes

NellyCath
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 19 of 21

Hello! 

There's no make/model on the router - it's a black one with all the holes in? 

On my laptop the description is Inter (R) Wireless -AC 9560 160 MHz but I don't know if this is the router? Not very IT savvy! 

I'd love the team to help but I think I've exhausted the last one!! My details are on the account.

NellyCath

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 20 of 21

Which router do you have? If you would like the support team to look into this for you make sure that your personal details including TalkTalk phone number and/or account number are complete on your community profile (click here) so that they can link your forum identity with your account and then wait for them to respond.

0 Likes