NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Free Upgrade?

ianround27
First Timer
Message 34 of 34

Hi,

I've been receiving a lot of texts and emails from TalkTalk recently telling me that I'm eligible to upgrade my line at no extra cost. This sounds like a good idea as despite being signed up for Fibre 65 my line doesn't seem capable of exceeding 40mbps:

"We've been upgrading the network in your area to allow us to roll out a new and improved broadband service.

We'd like you to upgrade, for no extra cost.

Please call 0800 990 3631 to learn more.

This is a TalkTalk service message."

When I called I was told that there would be an increase in my monthly payments as a result of upgrading my line and the new contract that would go with this, which is either false information or the marketing that I'm receiving is misleading.

I was wondering what experience others have had with this upgrade - did you incur extra charges or was your line upgraded for free?

Thanks

33 REPLIES 33

SeanMV
First Timer
Message 1 of 34

Just a quick update. I never bothered speaking to anyone at talktalk again, just replied to the openreach text and emails. They turned up last Friday, installed the new cable and box and my download speed went from 15 to roughly about 75 so I can't complain. Still using my old router and I've lost my landline but that's fine as I don't use it. So it is real but talktalk don't interact with you much and my account is still showing fibre 35

Message 2 of 34

@Wifiproblems the agents have been re-briefed if you call and specifically state that you have been offered a free upgrade the agent will be able assist. 

Sorry for any inconvenience.

0 Likes

Wifiproblems
Popular Poster
Message 3 of 34

Hi - I was directed to this topic from a similar query I raised myself.  Still no word from Talktalk to explain the emails and SMS offers of free upgrades - but then told there was a charge when I rang....

Message 4 of 34

Ah, thanks for confirming, apologies for the confusion.

Thanks, 

Jo

0 Likes

SeanMV
First Timer
Message 5 of 34

The email about the engineer? I received that one a couple of days ago then another one earlier today to confirm the booking. When I clicked on that it took me to an openreach page. I'm quite happy to have it done and then upgrade properly to 150 or 500 once I see how much the price increase is going to be.

Message 6 of 34

Hi SeanMV,

Sorry to hear this.

When did you receive the email?

Thanks,

Jo

0 Likes

SeanMV
First Timer
Message 7 of 34

I've now received an email with a date and time for an engineer to come and fit the free full fibre upgrade without speaking to anyone since I rejected the new contract offer a couple of weeks ago. There's no sign of any order in my account so i don't have a clue what's going on. No text from openreach, just emails from talktalk. It all seems a bit unprofessional but I'm not complaining if I somehow end up with faster internet speeds for free 😂

GerryMac
Philosopher
Message 8 of 34

Well I must ring again and see if they can match them 2 deals you were offered!!

Cheers

YNWA-JFT 97

nic1987
Whizz Kid
Message 9 of 34

Note to mods - OP and other members asked that I keep them updated on this - so please don't feel annoyed that I have posted - apologies in advance. Just want to do what I said I would do to fellow customers here on this lovely board.

@ianround27 @SeanMV @GerryMac @Wifiproblems  I made my fourth phone call the the team today hoping that things might have changed. Things did change positively but I didn't get the free upgrade as OCEs are describing

The lovely lady I spoke to offered my some great 18 month deals (which is much better than my experience 2 weeks ago) but she categorically told me "it is impossible to get a free upgrade without a new contract from this team"

I was offered:

FTTP65 18 months £22/m

FTTP150 18 months £24/m

I would lose my phone line, but this doesn't affect me

Have updated on my own thread so hope that an OCE is able to help us get past this

Just wanted to update you all too

Thanks for the support and encouragement to get this issue sorted! 

I am a customer just like you. I'll try to help based on my experiences over the years getting issues sorted out in my TalkTalk services!

nic1987
Whizz Kid
Message 10 of 34

Another report for the group 

Fibre Information required  - another person has tried to access the free upgrade today and only been offered a new 18 month contract - Fibre 150 at £29/month - I've signposted Ady to the thread to query why the rebriefing of the phone team hasn't changed things.

I am a customer just like you. I'll try to help based on my experiences over the years getting issues sorted out in my TalkTalk services!

ferguson
Community Star
Message 11 of 34

@GerryMac Yeah, but what I'm saying is that this is not your topic, you may do better to start your own and Arne can look into your particular circumstances. The offer with the landline sounds like that being offered to a number of customers, there should be no change in contract length, package terms, or price. 

0 Likes

nic1987
Whizz Kid
Message 12 of 34

Thanks @GerryMac for keeping us informed - it has been useful to have the four of us in this thread with similar experiences, because the stories weren't being tied together by the support team otherwise. Good luck with choosing your offer! - but you shouldn't be having to sign up for 18 more months as Arne / Ady / Jo have pointed out. The package with the phoneline is also interesting as there's quite some confusion about that on this board. Keep us posted. @ianround27 has said he will post back with his experiences. I will also post back at some point.

0 Likes

GerryMac
Philosopher
Message 13 of 34

@ferguson Yes...I received an email, rang the number and was fobbed off. A fee days later I received a text message with the same phone number attached. Rang and got 2 pa kage deals one with and without Landline.

Not misleading at all. Just updating Arne.

Cheers

YNWA-JFT 97

ferguson
Community Star
Message 14 of 34

Hi @GerryMac be clear that you are referring to the free upgrade package as described in the email, if that is what you wish to pursue. Beyond that, it may be better to start your own thread so that your particular offers can be discussed separately from all the other posters here, it's getting a wee bit confusing!

0 Likes

nic1987
Whizz Kid
Message 15 of 34

@GerryMac  Ah that's a shame as @Ady-TalkTalk had said the phone teams have been rebriefed now and we should be upgraded free of costs and not need to sign a new contract.

Of course you can go for a new contract if you like, but this isn't the free upgrade we've been told about -  @Arne-TalkTalk and @SocialTeamJo said above these are free of costs and you don't need to sign up to a new contract. Eg you can leave at the same time you're original contract was due to end

I wonder what our next steps should be? - it doesnt seem to be getting sorted

0 Likes

GerryMac
Philosopher
Message 16 of 34

Hi Arne,

Will do although my packages were for 18months and there was no mention of my current contract. Maybe that would change of I do decide to jump to FF.

Also if I did take up the new FF offer I would be charged £9.95 for delivery of new router.

Cheers

YNWA-JFT 97

Message 18 of 34

Hi....Rang today and was offered 2 packages. Unsure as to do away with the Land-Line thou..even to the fact it,s not used and I do pay the All Calls Boost.

Will think long and hard and get back to them regarding taking up either offer.. I did ring the number that was on the text

message..ending in 2197

Cheers.

YNWA-JFT 97

Message 19 of 34

Thanks @nic1987 & @Ady-TalkTalk for all of your help and advice in this thread. I'll call back again next week and see if there's any change in how it's handled this time although I don't expect much! I'll keep you updated.

Also, no Openreach message here either, only the TalkTalk texts and emails

nic1987
Whizz Kid
Message 20 of 34

Ghey @GerryMac sounds like u got the one text I got which is from Talktalk. Fingers crossed you get the deal! This morning I've been reading about people's problems after going for upgrade though, which aren't super positive so I'm reconsidering anyway

If you got an openreach text you don't need to call, you just reply. But Iddidn't get that one..