NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Future Fibre Static IP

roo2002
Popular Poster
Message 13 of 13

I've just signed up for the new fangled 1 Gig Future Fibre package, Hoorar....

At the moment I'm with Vodafone and after asking, they very kindly supplied me with a Static IP.

I access my LAN from the depths of the outside world via VNC, SSH and VPN. So I do like to have a static IP.

Now I have read posts here that say a static IP is issued to business packages and dynamic IPs to mere minions like myself who don't run businesses.

Am I able to request a static IP for my minion domestic account?

If so, how?

And hello to everyone from a first time poster.

0 Likes
12 REPLIES 12

Birchcroft
Philosopher
Message 1 of 13

TalkTalk's major "Budget ISP" rival also offer home customer's the option of a fixed IP for a £5 setup fee.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 13

Thanks, but I disagree a DDNS service is the same as a static IP.

Similar yes, but if I need to connect to a VPN server hosted at my home, in order to use a DNS service hosted at my home.

How can I resolve a DDNS hostname to IP without using other DNS servers?

I don't want to use other DNS servers, only the only hosted at my home.

If I had a static IP, job done.

0 Likes

mrwrighty
Whizz Kid
Message 3 of 13

Just use a DDNS service, no need for a static IP address.

Message 4 of 13

Hi roo2002 

You'll need to explore some of the smaller ISP's to find those that offer static IP addresses and full fibre broadband. The one that comes to mind is right at the far end of the alphabet.

Alternatively, have you considered subscribing to a VPN service that offers dedicated IP addresses?

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2022

Like (below) to support me . . . Mark as solved (below)  Accept as Solution

0 Likes

roo2002
Popular Poster
Message 5 of 13

Well thank you all for the info.

I've had a look at the Talktalk business products and I'm certainly not prepared to pay the extra for somebody to assign an IP to my account.

I'm going to ask the question to EE and if they're the same it looks like I've got my hopes up for Gigabit broadband for nothing and I'll be sticking with my Vodafone fibre service.

O well. 🙄

0 Likes

Message 6 of 13

Hi roo2002 

Normally, TalkTalk Business (TTB) would expect to be dealing only with businesses but these range from a corner shop or one-person workshop business to large corporate customers.

It would be up to TTB and their credit check results to determine whether or not to offer a service to you.

Talk to TTB sales and tell the agent that you need a static IP address that TalkTalk Consumer cannot offer you. That static IP request item is one part of the TTB order process.

The Full Fibre range of products from TTB are here. NB prices exclude VAT so add on 20% VAT to see the price you'd pay with TTB.  Delivery and installation is free and there's no extra charge for a static IP address.

0 Likes

roo2002
Popular Poster
Message 8 of 13

Thank you both.

That raises my next question then.

As I don't run any type of business, can I have a business account?

If so where can I find prices?

0 Likes

Message 9 of 13

Not from TalkTalk Consumer for a home broadband connection. You'd need to consider TalkTalk Business if it's absolutely essential to have a static IP. 

0 Likes

martswain
Philosopher
Message 10 of 13

@roo2002 

No.

You cannot request a static IP on a "home" contract.

0 Likes

roo2002
Popular Poster
Message 11 of 13

Thanks Gondola,

That's understood.

But do you know if I can request a Static IP?

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Message 12 of 13

Hi roo2002 

The IP address is dynamically assigned. You'll find that you're more likely to retain the same IP address for longer on a Future Fibre connection. But it's not a static IP address.