NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Future fibre 150 installation

davox
Team Player
Message 25 of 25

Hello

I am upgrading to Future Fibre 150 and have an Openreach engineer booked for the 30th of November.

I have read all the info available on how they will install it and I am a bit concerned that that they will place the Fibre Connection Box and Eero Router in the hall as it's the area closest to where I guess they will install the CSP, outside the front door, but I need everything in the lounge as I have some devices that need to be hard wired to the router.

So my question is, will the engineer be accommodating enough to install the box in the lounge which is next to the hall but facing the back of the house?

Thanks in advance for your guidance.

0 Likes
24 REPLIES 24

Message 1 of 25

Sure 27 devices are a lot but at the time of chatting with the agent and testing I was on my own in the house, working on a laptop wired to the Eero via a network switch, all other devices (Chromecasts, audio streamers, TVs, plugs etc.) were in standby, but i'll do more tests, thanks for the advice.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 25

FTTP Future Fibre has got to be better that FTTC standard Fibre also 27 devices is a lot. I would do a few tests 1st direct cable from router to a computer then run same test from wifi on same computer (unplug cable so know its wifi) then switch on one device at a time and check speed (on same computer) as each device switchs on. I suppose 27 devices must take up some bandwith and if loads are streaming devices its got to slow it down a bit. Im on standard FTTC 80/20 connection just did a test via wifi on my laptop at Fast.com and got 72Mbps.   On a bad day I might have 3 or 4 Firesticks streaming. and maybe two kids on online games and maybe  1 laptop on Youtube never mind about 4 phone online so way behind your 27 devices. I`ve never had series wifi outrages when all on though. I do have my own 3rd party modem and routers so maybe they help

martswain
Philosopher
Message 3 of 25

@davox unless you find an ISP that will provide a router/mesh that can be configured to allocate or limit a specific amount of bandwidth to individual devices, then going elsewhere will not help.

If you are thinking of reverting, do have a look and see what they have done to your copper line, with the move to full fibre it may already have been recycled.

Message 4 of 25

Hi davox,

Thanks for letting us know how you get on.

Chris

0 Likes

davox
Team Player
Message 5 of 25

OK so for the benefit of other readers, the agent advised me to test my speed on Fast.com (never heard of before) and the speed there magically fluctuates between 100 and 130mbps!  On other test sites I don't get more than 65.  When I explained this to him he checked my Eero and blamed the slow connection to the 27 devices I have connected, they share the bandwidth hence reduce the speed, so the whole point of switching to Future Fibre was to have a fast and reliable connection on several devices.  I don't really see an improvement and will monitor the connection in the following days, I believe I am still in a cooling off period so I can switch back to the previous standard fibre even though I now have an ugly black cable surrounding my house!  Or I could move to another provider...

0 Likes

Message 6 of 25

OK, thanks letting me know

0 Likes

Message 7 of 25

thanks Chris, I was using the right page but the 'chat now' button wasn't available in Firefox and Chrome, it works with Edge.

I'm waiting for a free agent now...

0 Likes

Message 8 of 25

The chat button is at the bottom of the page - Guide to Future Fibre and FTTP | TalkTalk

Chris

0 Likes

Message 9 of 25

Hi Chris

maybe I'm looking at the wrong page, could you send me the correct link?

thanks

0 Likes

Message 10 of 25

Hi davox,

I've just checked and the chat does appear to be available and working. If you click the chat button and the pop-up window doesn't appear do you have pop-ups blocked in your browser?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 11 of 25

Chris

the chat is still unavailable, in the meantime my speed has dropped to an average of 14 Mbps.  The speed test on the Eero app tells me that my download speed is 129 Mbps, something not right here.

0 Likes

Message 12 of 25

If you try again a bit later you should be able to get through to chat, apologies for any inconvenience

Chris

0 Likes

Message 13 of 25

thanks Michelle but the Chat feature doesn't appear to be working, I am now getting ridiculously slow speeds between 15 and 35 Mbps (even with wired connections), on my previous Super Fast Fibre I had a consistent 55Mbps so there's something wrong here.

0 Likes

Message 14 of 25

Hello,

If there is still no improvement I'd recommend Live Chatting the Future Fibre team again and ask them to take another look at the speeds. Unfortunately we don't have access to this at the moment to be able to check this for you.

Thanks

0 Likes

davox
Team Player
Message 15 of 25

Hi Chris

Not really, it currently varies from 38 to max of 80 in any location

0 Likes

Message 16 of 25

Hi davox,

Does your throughput speed improve if you move closer to the eero?

Chris

0 Likes

davox
Team Player
Message 17 of 25

Hi, I called them but they advised to be patient and wait for a few days as the line needs to 'settle'.  Very strange, I thought this wasn't necessary with FTTP connections. Tested again and the speed has got worse, now average 35Mbps (wired!)

0 Likes

Message 18 of 25

Hello,

Thanks for sharing your experience. Have you also raised this directly with the Future Fibre Team to see what they advise in regards to the install? They will also be able to look into the speeds for you too.

Thanks

0 Likes

davox
Team Player
Message 19 of 25

UPDATE: The engineers came earlier than scheduled and to try and accomodate my requirements had to run the optic cable all the way to the back of the house and drilled a hole in the wall in the lounge, not ideal but apparently the only solution.

What I'm not too happy about it is the way they fitted the modem to the wall, with two long screws not completely screwed in the wall, so the modem is kind of hanging, their excuse was that they couldn't put the screws any deeper; something I need to look at.

Also they didn't wait for me to connect with the Eero app and test, they told me to wait half an hour and then try..  they were obviously in a rush to leave.

My max download speed is 87 Mbps, would this improve in the next few days?

thanks

0 Likes

Message 20 of 25

Morning,

Please let us know how you get on.

Thanks

0 Likes