cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV Support

For help with your TalkTalk TV box, channels and apps.

New box does not have built in record , not impressed.

Fetlar13
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 19 of 19

I’ve been sent a new Netgem box (no idea why as I don’t recall asking for it?) but I’m now totally bamboozled as have discovered it cannot record like the Hauwai box, not impressed to be honest. No instructions as to what I need to record our favourite TV programmes, if I need an external plug in USB drive, what do I need, how big, how to record and play back etc. as no instructions other than the plug & play came with the new box. Would I be able keep the old box just to use the record function? 

0 Likes
18 REPLIES 18

Message 1 of 19

And you, nice to chat!  🙂

Message 2 of 19

Hi Ferguson 

That is a fair point! I have only recently renewed my TT contract, so I have will have to adapt to the current situation, should I require a new box, and review my options when the time comes to renew again!

Have a great evening, best wishes Dave. 

Message 3 of 19

Hey @Talman 

They are exactly the providers I had in mind! But you have to pay premium prices for both their broadband and TV services. And they are only yours on loan while you remain under contract. I used my YouView box quite a lot back in the day, far less now. If I really wanted a PVR going forwards, personally I would look for one from the retail market.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 19

Hi Ferguson

Thanks for your response. I believe you can record up to 6 programmes on both Sky and Virgin boxes and up to 4 on the BT box. I am happy to be corrected if this is not the case.

It just seems odd that TT have reduced recording capacity by half, it surely does not require a great deal of expense to increase recording capacity or at least keep it the same.

BW Dave. 

0 Likes

Message 5 of 19

Hey @Talman go and source yourself such a box and pay accordingly.  I cannot see any provider giving these away these days.

0 Likes

Message 6 of 19

It does seem a retrograde step to only be able to record one programme when there are other boxes that can record up to 6 whilst watching one!

I know the response will be that everything is on catchup, but unless you go premium on for example ITVX you have to endure interminable adverts with no facility to fast forward! ☹️

Message 7 of 19

Hi

No Problem 🙂

Karl 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 8 of 19

All sorted thanks, just not impressed by the fact the new box appears to be a whole lot less than the previous box, I.e. nk recording facilities build in. Seriously considering ditching the TalkTalk TV altogether,  as I have a Firestick and the extra channels on TalkTalk are of zero interest.

0 Likes

Message 9 of 19

Thanks for that reassurance Karl, I'm in the same boat. Just received a new 4k box this afternoon with a returns label, but no request for the old box to be returned unless for recycling. I still have lots of old recordings on the TT plus box which is still functioning at the moment so I am assuming I can just retain it?

Thanks

Clive

Message 10 of 19

Hello,

Please let us know if you need any further assistance.

Thanks 🙂

0 Likes

Message 11 of 19

Okay, thanks for all your help! 

Message 12 of 19

Hi

the returns bags are automatically sent out but you can keep hold of the old box, many customers do.  There are no letters we can send out etc, we can only reassure you here.

Karl

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 13 of 19

Karl

Thanks for your help, understand that if old box fails then that’s it, off to the local recycle centre.

My only concern now is that TalkTalk, because they’ve sent me a returns bag and label, will contact me when the old box doesn’t arrive back with them. Is there a letter or email giving me permission to keep hold of the old equipment?

Thanks 

0 Likes

Message 14 of 19

Hi

you can keep hold of the old box, but please note, these older boxes are now obsolete, TalkTalk stopped providing these just over two and a half years ago.  If the box fails, reaches the end of its working life, this cannot be repaired or replaced.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

Fetlar13
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 15 of 19

Will someone from TalkTalk please contact me regarding me keeping the old box to record TV series that we like, not impressed with the lack of this feature in the new Netgem TV box….

0 Likes

Message 16 of 19

Sorry Karl, but that doesn’t help, I want to record and playback exactly like I did with the old box. I.e. set a series to record etc.etc. 

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 17 of 19

Have a look at the help article here:

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Recording-on-TalkTalk-TV/ta-p/2204777

You should be able to keep your existing box if you wish to carry on using that, one of the support team will confirm. 

0 Likes

Karl-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 18 of 19

Hi

you may find the following article helpful.

Recording on TalkTalk TV - TalkTalk Help & Support

Karl

Working From Home Tips