cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV Support

For help with your TalkTalk TV box, channels and apps.

TV Hub Sound

MrBevs1
Participant
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 28 of 28

Just received TV Hub.

I'm connecting it through an AVR. The AVR seems to detect the sound as Dolby Digital Plus and sets up to that, but when I watch TV there is no sound through the centre speaker.

It works properly when watching Amazon Prime.

If I reset the sound on the Hub to not be surround sound the AVR detects this and resets to Dolby Surround and the centre speaker works.

How can I get the centre sound in Dolby Digital Plus?

0 Likes
27 REPLIES 27

Message 1 of 28

Hi

The Hub settings are limited and do work with direct input to TV but will vary if connected to other options such as AVR.

No changes can be made to the Hub at a software level so we would not be able to fix this directly for a single device.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 28

Back on this topic, I'm now sure it's the hub that causing the problem.

Everything works perfectly if the source output is surround (Amazon. Prime, Blu-ray, etc, BBC HD with surround broadcast).

The problem is with outputs in stereo (most BBC, ITV, etc). The AVR thinks the sound is Dolby Digital when it's actually stereo, and the sound comes out as stereo. 

Is this because the Hub sound signal (in stereo) actually appears to the AVR be Dolby Digital?

If I change the Hub sound setting to "never use surround sound", the AVR immediately switches to Dolby Surround.

Problem is have to reset to getDolby Digital on Prime etc.

Is the problem something in the hub sound output that doesn't recognize stereo?

Is this fixable.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 28

Just a thought, but can you change the AVR output to "straight" so you get the sound as broadcast?

Alternatively would changing the sound output to a theme (such as to sport or cinema) work?

Please remember to mark Solved Posts with Best Answer. Doing so helps other customers and saves TalkTalk's Support Team time by only looking at unsolved topics. Thanks, Steve (a fellow customer).
0 Likes

Message 4 of 28

Thanks so much for your help.

It may well be the TV, which I now know is pre 2010. No HDMI 2.0 or ARC back then!

Still odd that it all works fine when the broadcast is in surround (Prime or some BBC/ITV), but not when it's broadcast in stereo.

Only solution is to buy a new TV. I was looking for an excuse to do that!

Thanks again for all your help.

Mr Bevs.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 28

That might be the issue then. Similar to my old Yamaha AVR that did not support HDR but I could force the sound by switching from one AV then back to the correct one.

Unless you find someone with a similar setup that has 2.1, or you can borrow a recent smart TV and try the hub on, I'm not sure we can resolve this for you (I appreciate how unlikely this is)!

If I can think of anything else I'll come back.

Please remember to mark Solved Posts with Best Answer. Doing so helps other customers and saves TalkTalk's Support Team time by only looking at unsolved topics. Thanks, Steve (a fellow customer).
0 Likes

Message 6 of 28

Hub is connected to AVR.

AVR is connected to TV.

I'm pretty sure TV HDMI is not 2.1 as it is older than 2017. I looked at the TV manual and it did not say that the HDMI ports were ARC.

0 Likes

fr8ys
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 7 of 28

Another thought. Can you confirm if the box is attached to your TV or AVR please?

And do you know if your TV supports HDMI 1.4 or 2.1?

I'm wondering, having just read an article on HDMI Arc if your cable or TV only support HDMI 1.4 which may not have enough bandwidth to correctly decode the audio across all channels, unless you force it as you are currently doing.

This might be worth your investigating further.

0 Likes

Message 8 of 28

There are HDMI out settings on the AVR, but if they can fix it I have not figured out how to set it correctly. 

Swapping the HDMI to another output made no difference.

0 Likes

Message 9 of 28

Have you tried changing the HDMI out on the back to the other output from the one you are using? Any difference?

Are there any individual settings for the HDMI out that could need changing? My AVR has settings that can be changed. 

In case you dont have the full manual here's a link to the pdf

https://www.google.com/url?q=https://assets.denon.com/DocumentMaster/ENG/AVR-X2800HE2EA_X2800HDABE2_...

Re the optical cable, I dont think that is needed as the sound and vision are routed via the HDMI Cable?

Are you using the HDMI cable that came with the Hub, as it requires a 4k rated cable. Older cables may not distribute sound correctly.

0 Likes

Message 10 of 28

I've got TT Hub.

Denon AVR 2800.

Old Panasonic TV, HDMI (not AVR), Optical out.

Something in the AVR set up may not be right because, although I set the TV Audio to optical out from the TV, when I pull out the Optical cable I still get sound coming through???

0 Likes

fr8ys
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 11 of 28

Maybe if you provide your TV make and model, and also your AVR someone here may have a similar setup and provide and answer.

A recent customer could get no HDR content to play via the iPlayer and it turned out his TV was not compliant, as required by the BBC, but other streams would play such content.

I'm not saying this is the case here, but maybe TalkTalk's tech team may have a view.

At least you seem to be able to force the sound with a workaround, not ideal but it may be an issue with the AVR. Did you look on other forums to see if there are similar issues reported?

0 Likes

Message 12 of 28

I'm at a loss as to what else to try except a factory reset of the box, but I dont expect that to work unless there is a corrupted file somewhere that the reset will cure.

You can find the reset in the settings menu.

0 Likes

Message 13 of 28

Amazon prime through the Hub works fine - Dolby Digital and centre sound.

0 Likes

Message 14 of 28

Cabling looks OK.

Tried BluRay into same input, and it works perectly.

Issue seems to be sound signal coming out of TT Hub.

0 Likes

Message 15 of 28

I tried removing the Optical but that made no difference.

But oddly removing the optical did not cut the sound, so I may have something wrong in the cable set up wrong.

I think I'll pull it all apart and recable and try again.

I'll let you know how that goes.

0 Likes

fr8ys
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 16 of 28

Also, do you have a straight setting so only the transmitted sound is passed through, rather than it trying to decide to surround sound, or are you already using such settings?

0 Likes

fr8ys
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 17 of 28

Have you tried just using HDMI Connection as the optical may be causing a conflict?

0 Likes

Message 18 of 28

Still not solved.

My TV does not have eARC.

For TV channels broadcast in stereo I need to select "no surround sound" then the AVR switches to Dolby Surround, and the center speaker works.

For TV channels broadcast in surround I select surround sound on the Hub and the AVR switches to Dolby Digital and the center speaker works. 

Amazon Prime from the Hub seems to work no problem.

The sound from the TV goes to the AVR throughout an optical cable. 

Any ideas?

0 Likes

Message 19 of 28

Morning,

Thank you both 🙂

@MrBevs1  How are you getting on?

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 20 of 28

@Michelle-TalkTalk yes I do but don't have a surround sound setup on that TV.

The options are auto or none, don't use surround sound.

My understanding of the auto setting is that the box will select the type of output based on the programme information supplied by the vendor, so I think if it's Dolby it will parse Dolby.

As to the OPs issue it could be a number of issues like a non 4k HDMI cable, or a possible Ark issue between the TV and AVR.

I had and ark issue with my HD BluRay player that was connected to the TV. It couldn't decode the signal from the player to the TV and through the receiver quickly enough and that was using an 8k rated HDMI cable. I resolved this by plugging the Player directly into the AVR.

@MrBevs1 how is the Hub connected? Into the TV HDMI or direct to the AVR?

Have you tried switching to the other input, whichever you are currently using?

On my TV an LG I am able to change the sound and vision to HDR ( I use this for my BT pro box). Perhaps you have a setting value on the TV HDMI input that needs changing?

Have you also searched out a forum for your AVR? There may be similar issues there that may help and also a TV forum may help.one last thing about my own personal experience, my original Yamaha AVR served me well but then suddenly on Prime, when I got a 4k TV I could get no sound when a film was streamed using HDR. I found on the Yamaha forum that that model number was designed before HDR so it could not decode such sound. I ended up buying a new AVR in the end.

Hope my musings have given you some additional thoughts you may not have tried.

0 Likes