cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV Support

For help with your TalkTalk TV box, channels and apps.

TV Hub hangs on boot up

richardbraine
First Timer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 31 of 31

Since the most recent Talk Talk software update on my TV Hub, the box gets to the YouView logo and then appears to stall, going no further.

My TV is a 15 year old Sony Bravia KDL-40W5810 which pre-dates the current YouView installed TVs that Sony currently produce. It has 4 HDMI inputs that work perfectly well with all other equipment I have. 

On investigation and having discussed with the Sony community I have deduced the following:

The Talk Talk Tv Hub is working perfectly as, when I plug it in to my (even older and very poor quality) Samsung TV it boots up perfectly well and outputs to the TV as you would expect. It also works fine with another more up-to-date TV I have. So, I'm at a loss as to why it won't render on our main Sony TV. I'm using the HDMI cabling supplied by Talk Talk for all my trialing.

Now, what I have found is that if I boot-up the TV Hub whilst connected to, say the, Samsung TV then switch the HDMI cable from that TV to my Sony Bravia, the Sony does render the video the (in very odd colours) but no sound, from whatever settings it has negotiated with the Samsung. But the Talk Talk TV Hub will not communicate successfully with my Sony Bravia on its own. I've also tried toning down the resolution from the TV Hub to 720p but this makes no difference. Anyhow my Sony Bravia happily accepts 1080p from a DVD player and an Amazon Firestick that I have. I've also tried all 4 HDMI ports and tried other HDMI cables but see no change.

I've had zero luck getting any help from Talk Talk who have promised call-backs but not delivered. 

Whilst most people will be using newer TVs than me, I can't believe I'm the only person having issues. Could this be a bug in their latest software version that my TV doesn't like?

Anyone got any ideas?

0 Likes
30 REPLIES 30

Message 21 of 31

Hi Karl

Thanks for the prompt reply. I suspect that you may well be correct.

Having had this same experience with two recently supplied TV Hub boxes. The initial installation seemed to go to plan, I've done it with ethernet and WiFi connectivity. Following the automatic update and installation of Android 12 there was no further response from the TV to the remote.

Is there any way that the TV hub box can be uploaded with an earlier version of Android and also prevent it updating automatically? 

My first TV hub box failed in the same way during what was 8 months of service. Could this have been due to an automatic software update?

0 Likes

Message 22 of 31

Hi

If the common factor is older Sony Bravia TV's that are no longer supported by Sony then there may be little that can be done. I will make our devices teams aware of the issue but if they think the issue lies with the software of the TV, then Sony would not update this as they are out of support.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 23 of 31

I've checked out Sony software support only to find that my TV model is no longer supported by Sony since 2022.

Your suggestion was worth checking out though for Sony to own the problem does goes against the idea of backwards compatibility something that has been a broad standard in telecommunications and computers generally. 

Still, we'll see what TalkTalk suggest as a solution.

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 24 of 31

This sounds very odd indeed. As the common factor appears to be Sony TVs of a certain age, have any of you tried reaching out directly to Sony support for their thoughts, perhaps they should be the ones to own this issue? 

0 Likes

Grumphart
First Timer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 25 of 31

I thought I was going mad, but I'm having very similar problems. In brief, January 24 had new TV box coz my old one didn't do ITVX. New TV hub lasted till August 24 when all I could get was a blank screen. I'm currently on my second replacement TV hub box but both stalled following the update to Android 12 during initial setup. All I get on rebooting is the initial YouView logo followed by a blank screen. 

Guess what, my television is a Sony Bravia of about ten years service. 

Over to you TalkTalk?

0 Likes

Message 26 of 31

I totally get your frustration but there’s no way I’m replacing my supremely good Sony TV because of a dodgy STB software update!

Mind you, a new Sony Bravia with integrated YouView is appealing given Talk Talk’s “support”!

Talk Talk need to own this one and investigate properly!

0 Likes

KClark1
First Timer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 27 of 31

I have exactly the same problem-our sony bravia tv is a couple of years younger. Tv working fine with aerial plugged in directly. Have had several long conversations with talk talk technical  support, 2 new tv hubs and an engineer visit between 2 new hubs. Tried to let talktalk know this morning that the latest hub had not solved problem but gave up with chat as agent didn't seem to have read what said and tried to tell me how to set up hub - asking if had hdmi port on tv! Gave in this afternoon and bought new tv - hopefully latest hub will work when new tv arrives.

0 Likes

Message 28 of 31

Hi

I'm at a loss for what could be preventing this from working with that specific TV.  The Box is android based and the recent update included an update to android 12.  This then has the youview App which will start automatically, but should not affect the output or display of the box.

I can only suggest to try playing with the settings in the menu of the TV, and make sure any TV software is up to date.

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

richardbraine
First Timer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 29 of 31

Thanks Karl. 

just tried that but no change. 

cheers

Richard

0 Likes

Karl-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 30 of 31

Hi

Check the TV Menu and turn off any HDMI CEC features and see if that helps.

Karl.

Working From Home Tips