cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Your Account

Get tailored support with your TalkTalk account and bills.

Email threatening late payment charges

Keftedaki
First Timer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 3

Dear TalkTalkBroadband

I was automatically transferred over from Shell Broadband recently.
I received all the emails to say the transfer was successful.
I then received a text message saying “Due to a processing error we were unable to collect your Direct Debit and you will receive an automatic Rejection email from TalkTalk. Please do not worry; this is in hand and we will be resubmitting the Direct Debit request. You will not be charged any fees. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.”

My bank account always has sufficient funds to pay all my direct debits so I waited to see if the direct debit was attempted again. I then received an email threatening late payment charges for non payment even though the direct debit had failed due to a processing error by TalkTalkBroadband. 
I was worried but I ignored the email as the original text message said I would not be charged. I kept checking my bank account every day to see if the direct debit had been processed but it hadn’t. 
I then received another email warning that a late payment charge would be added to my next bill!
By this point I was getting very worried as TalkTalk had still not actioned my direct debit.
I phoned TalkTalk in the hope of speaking to someone but I couldn’t get through to speak to a human.

I then tried online chat but the bot was going round in circles and when I was supposed to be passed to a human, I was left in limbo for too long so had to leave the chat as I had to be somewhere.

So I then went to my online account and paid my first monthly payment online with my debit card.
I was also worried that TalkTalk would take a duplicate payment if they actioned the direct debit, so I cancelled the direct debit and spoke to my bank about the situation, explaining that I couldn’t speak to anyone at TalkTalk and I was worried that my first month’s payment would be taken twice.
So, I’ve cancelled my direct debit with my bank and I want to make future payments online myself, using my debit card.

I also went to my payment settings in my TalkTalkBroadband account but it’s impossible to remove the direct debit details as they only allow you to update them not delete them. 
My questions are as follows:

1. Please can you confirm that I will not be charged for late payment because of a direct debit processing error which was not my fault? (as per the text message from TalkTalkBroadband).

2. Please can you remove the direct debit details from my account? (as I will be paying my bills on time with my debit card). 

In view of all this, I do not want my card details or bank details to be retained by TalkTalkBroadband. 
I look forward to hearing back from you. 

0 Likes
2 REPLIES 2

Arne-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 1 of 3

Hi @Keftedaki

We are aware of the issue with direct debits, the shell migration team are working on resolving this ASAP.  

In the Interim can you make a one off payment either on line or via our customers services. If you wish to change your payment method to a recurring card payment, you will need to contact our customer service team they can update the details.

Admin fees will not be applied 

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 3

There's been a flurry of these, @Keftedaki, which understandably has caused a lot of upset for those affected.

You will not be charged the £12.50 [unfortunately Talktalk doesn't seem to be capable of preventing the generic "failed DD payment" email from going out instead of something more relevant].

You did the right thing paying by card this time.

Paying by DD is still the best method  - if you are caught abroad it just ticks over anyway [if it's working correctly....] whereas single card payments would then require you to use a VPN. Recurring card payments are not currently functioning:

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/waystopay

Staff will pick up this thread during the day (Monday to Friday).

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes