cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Alienware Laptop Causing Internet Drop

Firmware_Needed
Chat Champion
Private Message
Message 27 of 27

Hi,

I recently purchased an Alienware x17 R2 laptop and whenever I connect it to the network the internet drops for every device and I have to restart the router, does anybody have an advice? 

0 Likes
26 REPLIES 26

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 1 of 27

There were configuration mismatches between the TalkTalk router & the Deco mesh. Hopefully, I have resolved these, just waiting on the OP to test for a while.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 27

I have just downloaded a manual, I'll try & have a quick read, might not be until tomorrow afternoon before I can get back to you though.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 27

I think I messaged you the right thing that’s all there was.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 27

Let me see if I can download a manual or something.......

Keith

0 Likes

Message 5 of 27

There doesn’t seem to be anything on the TP-Link app that has IP addresses or anything like that. It’s quite minimal 

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 27

Thanks for that @Firmware_Needed, that was exactly what I wanted. Please can you now log into your TP-Link mesh & find the same sort of configuration area and give me a screenshot of that?

Thanks.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 7 of 27

My mistake it was under another drop down. Sent new one now.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 8 of 27

Hi @Firmware_Needed 

No, that is not the screenshot I requested. It is:-

Dashboard > See Wi-Fi Settings >

Manage Advanced Settings > TalkTalk Wi-Fi hub > LAN IPv4

Note: in firmware V2816 & below, the LAN IPv4 tab was called DHCP.

Please note, when using the "Insert Photos" button (in a mobile browser it's the picture icon) on the post editor's toolbar with the Size parameter set to Large. If they are too small, I will not be able to read them & although I can enlarge them, this puts the text out of focus. If you prefer PM them to me. 

Keith

0 Likes

Message 9 of 27

Thanks Keith, I’ve sent you the picture. 

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 10 of 27

No problem, now that I know which router you have. Log into it & go to:-

Dashboard > See Wi-Fi Settings >

Manage Advanced Settings > TalkTalk Wi-Fi hub > LAN IPv4

Note: in firmware V2816 & below, this tab was called DHCP.

Please get me a screenshot of that complete page. Then in your Deco, please find a similar page (my mesh is not a TP-Link model) & get me a screenshot of that.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 11 of 27

Sagecom FAST 5364-3.8

Could you tell me where I can find you this info and I’ll get the screenshots.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 12 of 27

Thanks, but that is not quite enough information.

The sticker on the rear of the WiFi hub behind the pull-up plastic panel does tell you the make & model. It is most likely either of these:-

1. Sagemcom FAST 5364
  2. Huawei DG8041W

No, I need to see screenshots of the full IP addressing configuration including that of the DHCP server on both the router & mesh node. Just telling me 192.168.1. is not enough. If you prefer, you can PM me the screenshots.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 13 of 27
  1. What Broadband package do you have, assuming it is fibre, is it future fibre (full fibre) or Fibre to the cabinet with copper cables to your house?

I have fibre to the cabinet, not full fibre.

1. If Future Fibre, I assume you have an ONT?

N/A

1. What make/model of TalkTalk router do you have?

On the sticker it doesn’t say anything just talktalk WiFi hub. 

1. How are you connecting the TalkTalk router to the mesh?

Direct via Ethernet to the main Deco M5 hub, then spanning from this to the others.

1. Is your mesh in access point or router mode?

It’s in access mode. It was in router mode, but last night I changed it to access point. It has been working perfectly fine in router mode for weeks, maybe a month. 

The router WiFi is disabled, I only enabled it to see if I could access the internet directly when the deco system lost internet, which I couldn’t. Had to reboot router.

192.168.1. - LAN configuration (if that’s what you meant)

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 14 of 27

OK, we have now gone from a simple faulty Wi-Fi card to a much more complex problem. First of all, I need to fully understand your setup. Please can you elaborate by answering the questions below:-

1. What Broadband package do you have, assuming it is fibre, is it future fibre (full fibre) or Fibre to the cabinet with copper cables to your house?
  2. If Future Fibre, I assume you have an ONT?
  3. What make/model of TalkTalk router do you have?
  4. How are you connecting the TalkTalk router to the mesh?
  5. Is your mesh in access point or router mode?

Please can you also provide me with screenshots of the router IP address & LAN IP configuration from whichever TT router that you have (I can be specific when I know which one you have)? I also need to see the Wi-Fi setup of this router, unless you have disabled it, in which case just tell me so.

Please can you also provide a similar set of screenshots from the mesh as well?

Keith

0 Likes

Message 15 of 27

I'm not sure,  but today it's done it again; and I haven't used my Laptop. I have a Demo M5 Mesh network, and it's been working perfectly fine for months. The past few days this has been happening and I'm suspicious that it's talktalk. I have removed and remake the Deco network and it still is doing it intermittently. When it happens I have to restart the talktalk router because the Deco network will not pick the internet back up. And even connecting directly to the talktalk router via WiFi does not work I have to restart the router completly. I can connect via Ethernet still afterwards. 

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 16 of 27

Will your work be happy if you kill their WiFi? I was more thinking about a friend who is prepared to let you try it on their network, as it is likely to be less critical than your employer's.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 17 of 27

I can take it into work on Monday and try it. Would that be ok?

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 18 of 27

If you can try that as it will prove if it is the laptop that is faulty or something that it doesn't like about your TalkTalk router.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 19 of 27

I’m not sure, I haven’t had chance to test this yet. It works fine on my phone if I connect via my phone hotspot. 

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 20 of 27

Yes, I understand that.

This is why I want to know if the laptop only does this when connected to your TalkTalk router, or if connected to a friend's router, does it kill that wifi network as well?

Keith

0 Likes