cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

FIBRE 65 - RECENT LOCAL OUTAGE OF TELEPHONE AND BROADBAND

G_R_UK_T4LK2M3
Whizz Kid
Private Message
Message 32 of 32

Thursday morning both the phone line and broadband lost connectivity. I later found out this impacted the local area and not just myself as three Openreach engineers were working on the box five minutes from the house.

Why has our profile changed from the fibre 65 package to the lower available fibre 35 package? It was working great until the outage in the area occurred on Thursday that knocked out the telephone and broadband service.

The upload and download are now stuck. I've tried twice shutting off for 20-30 minutes as I have been told in the passed when problems arise.  I now see the noise margin is way higher than it was before the area outage.

TalkTalk fault tracker still shows This fault is still in progress. We are working to get this resolved for you. However this was created while the phone line and broadband were disconnected and both are now connected and working. Just the broadband speeds are not where they should be and must be restored to what they were before the area outage happened.

Earlier unsure why but this morning the connection was lost this isn't normal behavior and never happened during day time hours and when it did happen it was overnight and many week  apart.

Is this because the Openreach ticket is still open and the engineers are at work on this? 

After this the speed still has not restored pre-localized outage.

After this I had switched off my modem while I go out for a walk which will result in a 40 minutes off time in the hope speed would have reset and increase my speed back to where it was before the local area outage. However nothing changed after doing this today.

On the Speed to your router page it still reports 51Mbps today, however I am only getting 40Mbps appearing on the modem statistics page.

Before the outage it was peaking at 53Mbps and I was getting a download speed-test of 48.3Mbps now I am getting a speed-test of 38.1Mbps

0 Likes
31 REPLIES 31

Message 1 of 32

Hi

DLM will monitor the line and make adjustments based on line readings. Last night, the DLM changed the snr levels but kept the overall same speed levels.

Thanks  

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 32

How long will the DLM continue to adjust the line? It's great the speed is back to where it was before the outage.

Do you know why the DLM reduced the speed overnight, though anything about where it was before the local outage is satisfactory.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 32

Hi

DLM changed the profile at 03:30 this morning so that will have caused the drop you can see in the logs.

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

G_R_UK_T4LK2M3
Whizz Kid
Private Message
Message 4 of 32

After the two disconnects last night I think we lost connection at 3:30am looking at the modem stats up time.

New log shows the following speeds:

Line 1
Downstream Upstream
Actual Rate [Kbps] 55206 19084
Maximum Rate [Kbps] 53673 19084
Noise Margin [dB] 6.10 6.70
Attenuation [dB] 21.00 0.00
Power [dBm] 13.80 7.60

0 Likes

Message 5 of 32

Hi G_R_UK_T4LK2M3

Sorry for the delay.

How has the connection/speed been since your last post?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

G_R_UK_T4LK2M3
Whizz Kid
Private Message
Message 6 of 32

Speed is now back where it should be an actually its now the best it has ever been. 😀

Downstream Upstream
Actual Rate [Kbps] 58231 18136
Maximum Rate [Kbps] 56986 18136
Noise Margin [dB] 4.90 5.80
Attenuation [dB] 20.90 0.00
Power [dBm] 13.70 7.60

Someone must have been working on the speed or DLM kicked in good and proper because we lost connection for four minutes and then it jumped from 40 Mbps to 58.2 Mbps this is great to have it back and better than ever.

Speedtest results:

52 Mbps download
17 Mbps upload

Update: We lost connection again that is twice in the last 30 minutes speed is still much higher but has gone down a little.

DLM must be at work here trying to establish our higher speeds while giving a stable connection?

After the second disconnect in the last 30 minutes now I get a log of :

Downstream Upstream
Actual Rate [Kbps] 57828 17988
Maximum Rate [Kbps] 56405 17988
Noise Margin [dB] 2.60 5.00
Power [dBm] 13.50 7.60
0 Likes

G_R_UK_T4LK2M3
Whizz Kid
Private Message
Message 7 of 32

Thanks that's good to know it will adjust I will give it until Monday 28th and chase up again if it's not returned back to roughly where it was before the local area outage.

0 Likes

Message 8 of 32

Thanks for the information, it would generally take longer than a couple of days to complete adjustment, we usually say around 10 days. DLM is monitoring and actively changing your profile, it changed your line profile at 3am this morning

Chris

0 Likes

Message 9 of 32

I had that message about waiting a couple of days since last Thursday or was that message of no value?

Thursday 17 February

Hello,
We're very sorry you've had a problem with your broadband service. An engineer has recently done some repair works on your line, and your connection might take a few days to adjust.
We'll keep an eye on your service and if the problem happens again we'll let you know what we're doing to fix it.
We're sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused.

If you're having any further issues, please visit Service Centre where you can live chat to one of the team.
Your TalkTalk team

Thu, Feb 17, 1:31 PM that message was delivered to me and it has been the same speed ever since the service was restored to the area.

0 Likes

Message 10 of 32

OK thanks. As DLM is actively adjusting your profile so hopefully the speed will improve over the next few days

Chris

0 Likes

Message 11 of 32

I can confirm all that information is still correct and up-to date, thanks.

0 Likes

Message 12 of 32

I'm not sure why it's showing 40Mbps on the router when it's showing 41.9Mbps at our end, could you check the telephone number in your community profile and confirm that it's your current TalkTalk landline telephone number

Chris

0 Likes

Message 13 of 32

But I've had that same message in an email since Thursday afternoon and it has not changed at all since then that was five days ago now.

It has not improved or changed always reporting the same clean 40 down and 10 up.

0 Likes

Message 14 of 32

Thanks for trying that. I've run another line test and sync speed is now 41.9Mbps. DLM moved you to a faster profile in the early hours of this morning so if the connection remains stable with a low error count then it should continue to improve your speed over the next few days

Chris

0 Likes

Message 15 of 32

I've now performed that and it has not changed still the same 40 down and 10 up as it was before switching off.

Please restore my connection throughput to what it was before the area outage on Thursday morning.

Log after todays switch off:

Downstream Upstream
Actual Rate [Kbps] 40000 9997
Maximum Rate [Kbps] 63321 9997
Noise Margin [dB] 10.90 11.60
Power [dBm] 13.70 7.60

0 Likes

Message 16 of 32

Yes, could you try it again please, it won't affect DLM if you just do it once

Chris

0 Likes

Message 17 of 32

I did this yesterday and last Thursday too, did not make a difference then. Should I still do it so soon after yesterday?

0 Likes

Message 18 of 32

OK thanks. Could you switch your router off and leave it off for at least 30 minutes then switch back on and check to see if the speed has improved

Chris

0 Likes

G_R_UK_T4LK2M3
Whizz Kid
Private Message
Message 19 of 32

On the modem dashboard:

Download
40.0 Mbps
Upload
10.0 Mbps

exactly the same as it showed when the broadband was restored last Thursday afternoon.

As pointed out before the speeds are far under what they were before the area outage had occurred and I am unsure why they are stuck on a number so rounded as 40 down and 10 up when these were much greater.

This was from before last Thursday:

Standard VDSL2 (G_993_2_ANNEX_ B)
Line Encoding DMT
Link Encapsulation ATM (G_992_3_ANNEX_ K_ATM)
Line 1
Downstream Upstream
Actual Rate [Kbps] 54244 17939
Maximum Rate [Kbps] 52620 17939
Noise Margin [dB] 6.30 6.10
Attenuation [dB] 21.00 0.00
Power [dBm] 13.60 7.60

This is from today:

Standard VDSL2 (G_993_2_ANNEX_ B)
Line Encoding DMT
Link Encapsulation ATM (G_992_3_ANNEX_ K_ATM)
Line 1
Downstream Upstream
Actual Rate [Kbps] 40000 9997
Maximum Rate [Kbps] 62709 9997
Noise Margin [dB] 11.00 11.60
Power [dBm] 13.70 7.50

Thankfully I've always kept monthly logs and regular checks on my connection logs.

0 Likes

Message 20 of 32

Hi G_R_UK_T4LK2M3,

There is a note on the fault ticket saying that Openreach cleared and closed the fault yesterday. Your current sync speed is 42.1Mbps, what speed does the dashboard display now?

Chris

0 Likes