cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Firmware Update

SuperflyForever
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 99 of 99

Hello there, I saw after some searching that people were requesting an update pushed to their router. We recently upgrade to Fibre 65 and despite the offer saying we would be provided with a new router, we didn't get one sent. So instead we bought one but it seems that the firmware according to some posts I gleamed through on the forums here that it needs an update.

Over the past few weeks since having the new router, we will have had inconsistent disconnections. It will sometimes happen multiple times in an hour or once every 24 hours. I saw people saying it was some DNS issue, but before I went messing around with that by myself, I was hoping to get some proper support before I go ahead with that.

The current router firmware is #SG4K10002816.

0 Likes
98 REPLIES 98

Message 61 of 99

Hi Dylan4481,

If you need assistance can you please start your own thread and we'll be happy to help

Chris

Message 62 of 99

Hi SuperflyForever,

I've ordered the router, it should be with you within a couple of days

Chris

Message 63 of 99

If that would be okay, the internet is an absolute mess today. It's disconnected around 6 times, it just went out only a few minutes ago too.

0 Likes

Message 64 of 99

Hi SuperflyForever,

Would you like me to send another router to test with?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 65 of 99

Okay, so just a few minutes ago. We had a phone call, but no one answered it and it knocked the internet out. Ever since the engineer came over on Thursday, I believe, we had a few phone calls and it didn't disconnect the internet, so it seems we are still suffering from the same issues even after the engineer came to fix whatever it was he did. We are also still getting random internet knockouts too.

He replaced the block in the wall, the filter I believe. So I guess at this point the only other option is to replace the router...

0 Likes

Message 66 of 99
0 Likes

Message 67 of 99

Thank you for your help!

0 Likes

Message 68 of 99

OK thanks. I've logged this out to Openreach as a non-appointed task. Openreach will investigate over the next 72 hours and may contact you directly if they need to access your home

Chris

0 Likes

Message 69 of 99

I honestly can't tell about the noise, to me it sounds about normal. But in general the problems do seem to orbit around the internet service.

0 Likes

Message 70 of 99

Hi SuperflyForever,

I'm sorry to hear that you're still experiencing problems with your service. Line test is picking up a potential issue, could I just ask, are you experiencing any problems with your telephone service such as noise on the line? Or do all the problems seem to be with your broadband service (even though they seem to be related to the telephone ringing)?

Chris

0 Likes

SuperflyForever
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 71 of 99

Hello, I'm sorry for the outrageously late response. I was hoping the issue would "fix itself" but I was wrong. We are still getting very poor service from almost everything. Almost every time the phone rings now, it instantly knocks the internet out. It doesn't matter if the phone is picked up, the moment it rings, it will go out. Sometimes the internet just randomly drops out for no reason. It's literally become such an insane issue and a massive problem. I'm not really sure if you can call it a service right now, with inconsistent speeds still, especially since we don't even get what we are paying for. Running speed tests 80% of the time will tell me that we are only getting around 35MB.

Edit: My claim on it fixing itself was due to the technician that I still maintain broke the internet more than he fixed it. Since that's when we had the phone issue, never had such a thing before. He said to wait for like 2 weeks which just never solved anything 2 months later.

0 Likes

Message 72 of 99
0 Likes

Message 73 of 99

Well, that's the thing, it's somewhat random if the internet will go out when a call is made or not. In the multiple tests I have done, the phone in the Master Bedroom never knocked out the internet. But I can run another test of making some calls within the next hour, I will get back to you shortly.

0 Likes

Message 74 of 99

Morning,

Thanks for the update. Would it be possible to make a test call and then try answering using the phone in the bedroom just to see if this does happen again?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 75 of 99

Hello Debbie, it still actually is. Over the course of the Easter weekend, no one really called the house. On Friday, I went around the house again, calling the number and answering each phone in each room and oddly the internet didn't go out. So I assumed it sort of fixed itself. We had a call on Sunday, someone answered it in the Kitchen and the internet didn't go out either.

So earlier this morning at around 9:15, we had a phone call from some garbage nothing call. The phone was answered and then immediately hung up due to the number on the screen. This was in the Master Bedroom and it knocked the internet out. Out of all the rooms, the Master Bedroom never gave issues in testing.

So now I have no idea what's going on, it could be the new filter the Engineer put in last week or something outside when he was up the pole.

Edit: Just to point out, we never had this issue in the past. The phone knocking out the internet was one thing that was never an issue.

0 Likes

Message 76 of 99

Hi SuperflyForever

Have you experienced this fault since your last post?

0 Likes

Message 77 of 99

Currently, the situation is, that the phone in the Hall is the main phone connected to the new filter the engineer installed the other day. That phone which is also connected to the router works fine. The phone in the Master Bedroom works fine, as when the engineer came in the house, he was doing some wirework in that room due to an old phone line which he believed was causing some issues with the connection into the house.

The phone in the Living Room and the Kitchen will now disconnect the internet, they never did this before the engineer came.

The only phone in the house that's directly connected to a phone line is the one in the Hall, next to the router, all the others plug into the power socket in the wall.

But the point is, in all the myriad problems we had with the internet in the house, the phones turning off the internet wasn't one of them. So I feel like having to pay an engineer to potentially fix an issue inadvertently caused by the previous engineer feels like a bit much.

Edit: Just did a thorough test around the house, ringing the house with the same mobile that called yesterday which knocked the internet out and answered each phone in the house. Currently, the internet wasn't disconnecting, so I have no idea what's actually going on. Especially since I could knock the internet out immediately upon answering the phone in those specific rooms.

0 Likes

Message 78 of 99

Hi SuperflyForever

Can I just check, if you connect one phone at the test socket, with the filter and router do you experience this fault?

If this is a fault with internal wiring then Openreach would not fix this. We can arrange a TalkTalk engineer to take a look at your internal wiring but this would be a chargeable visit.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 79 of 99

Me again... Sorry about this. It seems a new issue has come up from the engineer coming to the house the other day.

When someone calls up the house, certain phones can trigger the internet to disconnect. I went around the house testing each phone and currently the phone in the Hall and the Master Bedroom are fine, the other phones in the Living Room and the Kitchen will disconnect the internet.

When the engineer came to the house the other day, he was doing some business up the pole outside the house. There was some issue with an old line in the Master Bedroom and he did something with it, not sure exactly. But I assume in his rewiring, he didn't make an exception for the other phones in the house, that's my guess anyway.

0 Likes

Message 80 of 99

Hi SuperflyForever

Ahh thank you for your kind words 🙂

Debbie