Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Large lag spikes/high ping

SailorYen
Team Player
Message 35 of 35

Hello,

Seem to be having an issue where at random points I get very bad ping/large lag spikes for about 30 seconds every few hours. Sometimes it will fully disconnect me from either the game I'm playing or a voice call. It's been happening every day for the last week so far.

Things I've tried:

• Wired connection
  • Wireless connection
  • Wired through TP link
  • Port forwarding
  • Resetting router
  • VPN
  • Different computers
  • Changing ethernet cable

So far nothing has made a difference. It'll get to where I juuuust think it's fixed and it'll happen.

Any help/advice?

0 Likes
34 REPLIES 34

Message 21 of 35

Okay so here are the results after a day:

The original problem is fixed. I no longer get high lag spikes for 30+ seconds that will disconnect me from the game. Awesome!

However; I now for some reason have a very low speed 3-15Mbps (It was 32 before) and potentially as a result I'm getting lots of small lag spikes for 2-3 seconds every few minutes instead. 

Have tried just the new router, and router + TP extender.

0 Likes

Message 22 of 35

Have received new router, will test for a few days to see if the same problem happens.

Very impressed with the delivery speed!

0 Likes

Message 23 of 35

Hi SailorYen

The router is on its way and a pre paid returns bag (with a label)

Please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive. Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

Message 24 of 35
Yes please, that would be great. Will it also have a pre-paid shipping label? I only ask because I don't have a printer and our post office doesn't print labels there. Had an ebay return recently where I had to have a friend print off and mail me the label lol

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 25 of 35

Hi SailorYen,

Ok, would you like us to send a Huawei Wifi Hub instead to see how the connection compares? We would also send a router returns bag so that one of the routers can be returned.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 26 of 35
I don't have a second router to test with unfortunately, but I've only been with talktalk maybe 3 weeks, so the router should be new- although I know that doesn't necessarily stop it from being faulty.
0 Likes

Chris-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 27 of 35

Thanks, have you tested with a second router?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 28 of 35

Just ran a speed test as things felt a bit slow right now, and it came back with 3.12 Mbps download and 6.63 upload, so something isn't right. 😞

0 Likes

Message 29 of 35
I don't own a landline, so I'm not sure, sorry. I use my mobile for everything.
0 Likes

Message 30 of 35

OK thanks, do you experiencing any problems with your landline, any noise on the line?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 31 of 35
No, using Discord which is similar to Skype or Zoom.
I've had resource manager open the last few days checking the ping of things I'm connected to and they ALL go up during the spikes, which confirms it isn't specific to one game or program.
0 Likes

Message 32 of 35

Hi SailorYen,

Thanks for trying that. When you say that you get disconnected from a voice call is this a call on your landline?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 33 of 35
Turned off router while building a desk this afternoon, turned it back on when I was done. 40 minutes into my game, big lag spike and d/c'd again. 😞 It isn't specific to this game though, just for clarification.
0 Likes

Chris-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 34 of 35

Hi SailorYen,

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing problems with your service 

Line test is clear and sync speed is good. If you haven't already tried this, could you switch your router off and leave it off for at least 30 minutes, then switch back on and retest. Please let us know how you get on

Chris

0 Likes