cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Poor speed and disconnection

Message 13 of 13

Last ditch effort to get some service from TT...

I've had ongoing issues with speed on my broadband line, the last couple of weeks its been terrible. I have a 'guaranteed' speed of 58mbps. When the speed is slow I might get 1mbps, when the speed is good I can get 70. What I'd give for fibre in my road!

Having wasted hours on live chat, speeds generally seem to have improved this week but I'm back to where I started again this evening. To compound issues the line has also started dropping for a couple of minutes at a time. The last chat concluded that they'd send me a free booster. No difference, although I'll except I've not noticed a disconnection since (yet).

What is starting to annoy me is no one seems to want to understand the situation. I have full wifi signal, no black spots in the house (or garden!), there is no difference in set up when I have 1mbps and 70mbps. I haven't moved my equipment, I haven't built a wall to hide my router, I haven't added devices to the network. Based on that, to me, it seems clear that the issue is clearly with the line/network external to my house. I tried to raise this point as the booster was being offered up as a solution to no avail. It appears this is just another way of fobbing me off and add to my electric bill! 

I would concede that with the disconnections I'm not sure if this is just wifi or internet dropping. It's normally over so quick I don't have chance to check and I'm not really sure how I would. May be its the router? 

• Where do I go from here? It would be nice to receive some actual customer service with this. Rather than the usual update to the router let it settle for 48hrs, turn it off and on again... 
  • What is the guarantee worth? The service is not consistently being provided at the speed I am paying for even though it is clearly capable. How do I claim against it? does it compensate for lack of service provision and time wasted in chatting so far?
  • Is there actually a way to speak to someone about this? Live chat got very evasive about providing contact details and actually recording a complaint... 

Thanks

0 Likes
12 REPLIES 12

Message 1 of 13

I've ordered the router, it should be with you within a couple of days

Chris

0 Likes

Message 2 of 13

That would be good if you could, it will at least rule it out.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 13

Morning,

I'm really sorry to hear this. Would you like us to send a replacement router to rule this out?

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 4 of 13

No real progress, I'm still suffering slow speeds and disconnections. I'll note they haven't impacted me as badly in the last few days, but then I've taken to going into the office more so I can get on without interruption.

I phoned up about the issue as there seems to be no other way of progressing the issue. As usual I just get the 'everything looks fine' answer off of the list, so the only way I seemed to be able to make headway was to log a complaint. This prompted an engineer to come out last week. He confirmed that set up in the house was fine, WIFI signal wasn't an issue, router location fine, socket fine... As the faults are intermittent he's suggested its either the router or the line outside my home. 

TT seem to have taken the visit by the engineer as sign they can close any faults down (clearly not reading the report). Which is more disappointing and very frustrating. Where is the active communication and service TT?

So I'm still left paying for poor service with no fix on offer. Thankfully as I logged the complaint I'm going to be contacted today, should be interesting. 

Open to any other suggestions... 

Is there any point me trying anything with the test socket mentioned previously given the engineers visit? 

0 Likes

Message 5 of 13

Morning,

How are you getting on?

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 6 of 13

Hi,

Line test is clear and connection looks a bit more stable. Current sync speed is 77.4Mbps. There does appear to be very high wifi congestion in your local area which could explain the speeds. Are you able to run speed tests on a device connected to your router by Ethernet cable?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 7 of 13

Michelle is one of the support team. No, they won't phone you, support on the community is online only. they'll be back tomorrow. Your master socket does have a test socket, see here for more details:

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Your-guide-to-main-phone-sockets/ta-p/2205432

0 Likes

Message 8 of 13

20240220_195555.jpgCan the support team phone me? My Internet won't deal with a chat

0 Likes

Message 9 of 13

It's now Tuesday evening. I've not been contacted, speed so bad this evening that I can't even open the speed test webpage...

Is the support team likely to make some kind of contact? 

0 Likes

Message 10 of 13

Voice service rarely used but I've tested a bit and no obvious noise.

Socket is a bt mk4 and has two sockets one for phone one for router. No apparent test socket.

"Sync speed looks very consistent" can you explain what this means. Speeds I experience are utterly inconsistent.

"Very unstable" so is my bill reflective of this going forwards?

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 11 of 13

Morning,

I'm sorry to hear this and I will take a look now. I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault. The sync speed looks very consistent, however your connection looks very unstable. Is there any noise on the voice service? Does your main socket have a test socket please?

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 12 of 13

This has been logged to the support team here for you and rest assured that they will start to look into this when they are back online from Monday.

Have you noticed any issues with your voice service such as noise on the line? Is your router connected at the master socket and have you tried the test socket if you have one? 

0 Likes