cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Random Ping Spikes even with wired ethernet

0wenb
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 14 of 14

Hi, i keep getting high latency when gaming. I've ran a pingtest and it goes from 17ms stable and spikes to 100ms+ randomly. I was wondering if i can get some help on this thanks.

0 Likes
13 REPLIES 13

Message 1 of 14
0 Likes

Message 2 of 14

im not sure if it drops, i checked the router page and it says the speed is 40000kbps and potential 73000? i will monitor the network and report back if it happens again

0 Likes

Message 3 of 14

Hi again,

Ok thanks for confirming. When this happens do your speeds also drop at the same time? Could you run a wired ping and trace route the next time this happens please.

Run a Ping or Traceroute - TalkTalk Help & Support

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 4 of 14

It can be completely random but seems to happen more in the afternoon/evening, i've checked all the devices connected to the router and they aren’t downloading or using any of the network, thats why i suggest about it being a bandwidth issue or potentially being throttled at peak times?

0 Likes

Message 5 of 14

Good morning,

Thanks for trying this. Does it seem to happen more at certain times? Do you have many applications running at the same time when this happens?

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 6 of 14

Hi i’ve received the router and set it up and have been monitoring it for a couple days, the problem isn’t as bad but is still there as is spikes to 100+ ping randomly. Is this some sort of bandwidth issue? as i cant think of anything else. I will also be sending back the old router

0 Likes

Message 7 of 14

Hi Owen

The router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 8 of 14

Yes please that would be great thanks

Message 9 of 14

Hi,

Ok. Would you like us to send a replacement router for testing purposes to rule this out? We would also send a router returns bag so that one of the routers can be returned.

Thanks

Michelle

Message 10 of 14

Yes i’ve restarted the router multiple times, i originally did a line test on the website which said there was a problem then after the test it said it couldnt detect a fault. I’ve turned the router off for a while then turned it back on. I bought an ethernet cable as i thought the wifi was causing the problem but the ping is still spiking randomly somtimes upto 200ms on occasions, could it potentially be the router as its a few years old?

Also i don’t think there is a test socket

0 Likes

Message 11 of 14

Morning,

Sorry for the delay. I've run a test on the line now which hasn't detected a fault, however I can see re-connections on the line. Is your connection also unstable or have you been rebooting/switching off the router? Does your main socket also have a test socket please?

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 12 of 14

the information has been updated

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 13 of 14

Hello,

Can you please update your community profile to include your:

• Name
  • Telephone number
  • Alternative contact number

We'll then look into this further. Please do not post this information on this thread. Once you've updated your profile please post in your topic to confirm it's updated.

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes