cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Really poor speed and Rubbish Customer Service

Mylie
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 56 of 56

I've had slow speed for over two years and cannot get  this resolved.

All TT want to do is blame home wiring or connections and charge me £75 if this is the case.

[I was previously a Shell BB customer and forced back to TT when the service was sold on]they did send an BT engineer and he confirmed a network fault in the area, but this has never been rectified.

TT say they don't guarantee any speeds, even if the speed is nowhere near the 65mbps Im paying for.As you can see below my service is rubbish yet I'm forced to stay with TT until my contract expires in January 2025 when they will charge me even more for not delivering a service!

Mylie_0-1723464833968.png

I've spent hours on the phone and via live chat [there's generally an understanding/language issue]. I simply want the service and speed somewhere close to what I'm paying for or leave TT without penalty, any suggestions welcome!

55 REPLIES 55

Mylie
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 1 of 56

Hi All

I've had a reasonably stable service and improved speed for around a week now,for some reason the last two Mondays I wake to find the dreaded red light on and no BB, a router reset returns the service.

Thank you  to all the contributors and staff for the information given, over the last two years I've spent hours and hours on the phone and online chat to get to this point and I've decided that any further improvement is unlikely and  enough is enough.I will review my options at the end of my TT contract.

Again many thanks to all

0 Likes

Message 2 of 56

No, generally everything, @AllyM.

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

Message 3 of 56

I have seen that @Gliwmaeden2 , but I kind of thought that was more related to issues associated with billing/account migration than physical line faults, but who knows?

0 Likes

Message 4 of 56

@AllyM, staff are referring problems with former Shell customers' service back to the Shell Migration team. 

0 Likes

AllyM
Philosopher
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 5 of 56

I'm not sure what "Superfast Fibre Plus" is. It may be an old package name or if you originally signed up with Shell, it may be a name of a package they sold. The "average 67Mbps" quoted for TalkTalk's Fibre65 service is just advertising/marketing speak - it's not an indication of the speed you will necessarily be able to get.

Like I said, they will look up Openreach's specs for your specific line at the point enquire to sign up for a package and should advise you of the estimated range and guaranteed minimum speed for your specific line before you confirm going ahead with the order. I'm not quite sure how else you think they should do it.

If there is a (possibly intermittent) fault on your line, a it appears there may be if I've read through this thread correctly, then that is a completely separate issue, and hopefully staff can continue to help you out with that.

0 Likes

Message 6 of 56

I was sold Superfast Fibre Plus with an average download speed of 67mps, which of course was not achievable.

Whatever the  proportion of the network is fibre or copper is not the customers issue,surely its the ISPs  that need to sort out the estimated speed before selling a package, the length of copper must already be known by the ISP, as that information will be known by network provider that they use.

Current format used by Talktalk and others appears to be, sell the customer your best guess and hope they don't notice that they are not getting what they are paying for !

0 Likes

AllyM
Philosopher
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 7 of 56

The problem with Fibre To The Cabinet (FTTC) internet is that the speed you are able to achieve depends on the length and quality of the copper part of the line from the cabinet to your home, so ISPs can't advertise a specific speed that everyone can get.

You should have been advised of your personalised estimated speed range and guaranteed minimum at the time you signed up for your broadband service (with Shell?).

0 Likes

Message 8 of 56

Hi Ferguson

Thank you for your comments.

Im testing primarily with ethernet and exactly as you say the wifi in only slightly slower.

It's the whole assumption that you will get the speed talktalk  sell you that's a big issue, after all if you purchase a box of six eggs you expect to get six eggs not 5 or maybe 7!!

0 Likes

Message 9 of 56

Indeed the whole speed thing and fault finding is very very odd!!

Message 10 of 56

What seems odd is that the speed to the router is slower than the speed to the device. Something not quite right going on there.

0 Likes

Message 11 of 56

Bear in mind that you are unlikely to pay much, if anything less for a FTTC based Fibre 35 than a Fibre 65 service. These are both effectively operating on outdated copper technology and at some point in the coming years you will be switched to a Full Fibre service. That option may already be available to you should you choose to pursue it.

The speeds you have posted seem within normal parameters, are you testing your connection to the router with an ethernet, or wireless connection? The latter will invariably be a wee bit slower. 

The disconnection may be a one off, if it becomes a regular occurrence then the support team will gladly investigate further. 

0 Likes

Message 12 of 56

Hi AllyM

My current speeds are rarely at the max of Fibre 35 and nowhere near the max offered for Fibre65. latest check below:

Mylie_2-1725730847963.png

Its the assumption of speed that is made by TalkTalk that's really  annoying, in fact for my migration they had no data available, yet continue to charge me for a service speed  I cannot get:

This was a reply from Talktalk last week regarding speed information available:

Mylie_3-1725731106204.png

The question is would I be better on Fibre35 and have the speed capped at 40mps, which is at least achievable?

This morning I had red light on the router and no broadband for several hours ,Its working again and I've just run a connection check and its still showing a line fault,this is ridiculous, has anyone taken this sort of issue to the Communications Ombudsman?

Mylie_1-1725730795378.png

Mylie_0-1725730610925.png

0 Likes

Message 13 of 56

Thank you so much for all your assistance

AllyM
Philosopher
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 14 of 56

The 2 standard FTTC services provided by TalkTalk are Fibre35 and Fibre65.

Fibre35 is capped at a speed of 40Mbps download and 10Mbps upload. Fibre65 allows speeds up to 80Mbps download and 20Mbps upload. This is of course subject to what your line is capable of handling. Based on your connection speed after getting the fault fixed, it would appear that Fibre65 was the correct package to put you on.

0 Likes

Message 15 of 56

It's the Shell Migration team with the same number as for all customer services (mentioned in my earlier post, @Mylie).

They'll be available during the day, 9am - 7pm weekdays, till 6pm Saturday,  not open Sunday. 

0 Likes

Mylie
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 16 of 56

Hi Michelle

Thank you for the contact number. I'll call over the weekend, is it a Uk based team?

Regard's

Terry

0 Likes

Message 17 of 56

Morning,

Please give our dedicated team a call on 0345 172 0088, they'll be able to help with this.

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Mylie
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 18 of 56

Hi Chris

Many thanks for supplying that speed  information.

I'm confused as to why during the migration from Shell I was put on a package Fibre65, when it's clear I can get nowhere near the speed suggested! 

Also will I be paid some compensation for the time that my speeds were at a max of 13.9mps?

0 Likes

Message 19 of 56

Hi Mylie,

The minimum guaranteed speed isn't showing on our systems, but I've checked the data provided directly from BT Openreach and the minimum guaranteed downstream sync speed is showing as 38.51Mbps (based on fault free lines and ideal home environments) - your current sync speed is 48.9Mbps. Hope this helps

Chris

0 Likes

Message 20 of 56

Hi Gliwmaeden2

Yes it was allegedly the 'Migration Team' team on live chat yesterday,It's just a complete shambles!

I have to agree that speed has improved since the last engineer visit, I just need to know what speed I should contractually receive for the package I'm paying for, why is everything with TalkTalk so unecessarly  protracted? I'm simply asking what I would consider a fundamental  question ie: am I receiving what I'm paying for! Any information much appreciated

0 Likes