cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Router not responding

arhharris
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 37 of 37

Hi, I have a WiFi Hub router.  Had it for several years with no issues.  On Tue at around 7pm the light started flashing orange and we lost both WiFi from the router and Inernet connectivity (even to a PC plugged directly in over ethernet).  I switched it off for a few mins and back on but didn't fix either issue.  I used the talktalk troubleshooting guide and performed a full reset, left it 20mins, etc, etc. and still no change. Flashing orange light. No WiFi. No Internet.

I'm unable to get the web portal page when I connect to it over ethernet (i.e., http://192.168.1.1), which has always worked fine in the past.

I spoke to TalkTalk and they want to send an engineer round to check the line.  I explained that I didn't think it was the line, as the router itslef had stopped responding. But they booked an engineer to come over on Monday (30th Oct).  There is a case open: REP-14795301.

I borrowed an old TalkTalk router and plugged it in, using exactly the same cables as the WiFi Hub was using and got Internet connectivity with no problem.  Hence I know the line is working fine.

Do I still need an engineer to come over on Monday, or could TalkTalk just send a replacement router instead? 

0 Likes
36 REPLIES 36

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 21 of 37

Whilst they may be the same, it is TalkTalk's rules not mine that insist on one thread per problem per customer. So please create your own one.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Anonymous
Not applicable
Staff
Private Message
Message 22 of 37

What difference do you feel that there is?

Just the same as arhharris reported, I observe the UI becoming unresponsive (because the user has been logged out for no obvious reason, i.e. the user has been randomly logged out), and have to refresh and login again.

The reason that I have made this comment on this thread is to show that this fault is not a one-off, but may to be related to the hardware/firmware build, as I have the same hardware and firmware as arhharris.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 23 of 37

Hi @Anonymous 

Your situation sounds different. If you want help, you cannot use someone else's thread.

To get help, you must start your own thread. To create your own thread, go to the main page for the board in question & click the "Start a topic" button.

TalkTalk insists on one thread per problem per customer. Please note, TalkTalk makes the rules, not me.

Thanks.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

Anonymous
Not applicable
Staff
Private Message
Message 24 of 37

I have the same router hardware and software version as arhharris. I randomly get logged out just the same as arhharris has described.

I am accessing the UI from a laptop.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 25 of 37

Hi @arhharris 

@Michelle-TalkTalk has asked me to help you.

It is strange that the hardware version is not shown in Device Info, it always used to be. I no longer have that router, but in my FAST5464 it does show as it should: FAST5464 2.00.

The UI can misbehave in firmware V174.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 26 of 37

Morning,

@KeithFrench - have you come across this before?

Michelle

arhharris
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 27 of 37

I performed a factory reset but unfortunately it still logs me out of the portal.  I've noticed it only (or mainly) seems to be when I go into advanced settings.  Again, not making any changes, just looking at the settings.

The other thing I noticed after the factory reset is the Hardrware version now just shows FAST5364, whereas before it was FAST5364 3.00.

arhharris_0-1727716521141.png

Not sure if relevant.

Thanks.

0 Likes

Message 28 of 37

OK thanks. When it convenient could you try resetting it to factory default settings and then retest - Restore your router to factory settings - TalkTalk Help & Support

Thanks

Chris

0 Likes

arhharris
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 29 of 37

It logs me out even when I'm just viewing information and not making any changes.

0 Likes

Message 30 of 37

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the update. Just a thought about the router logging you out, this can happen if you change something in the UI and save it, or does it log you out even if you haven't changed anything?

Chris

0 Likes

arhharris
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 31 of 37

Hi Karl,

Thanks for sending out the new router.  Internet connection works fine.  Just wanted to mention a couple of points though.

Firstly, the stand was detatched on the left hand side and I was unable to clip it back in.  I ended up removing the stand from my old router and replacing the new one and it clipped in fine.  But I think the new router came with a damaged stand.

Secondly, I've noticed that the dashboard keeps logging me out after a few mins, even if I'm actively using it the entire time.  After a short while the page becomes unresponsive and when you refresh the page it asks you to log in again.  I've rebooted the router since, and the problem remains.  Not sure if this is a firware issue or something else, but I never had this problem with my old router.  Router details are as follows - as reported by the dashboard in the short window of time I can get onto it 🙂

Hardware: FAST5364 3.00

Software: SG4K100174

GUI: 5.100.1

arhharris_0-1727556719322.png

The other thing I've noticed is that my upload speed is 15.6 Mbps rather than 20Mbps.  Is this just because I've reconnected a new router and it will take time to adjust?

Thanks,

Andrew

0 Likes

Message 32 of 37

You're Welcome.

Karl

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

arhharris
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 33 of 37

Great. Thanks so much for your speedy response.

0 Likes

Message 34 of 37

Hi

Yes, got your details and the router has been ordered 🙂

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

arhharris
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 35 of 37

Thanks Karl.  I'll cancel the engineer for now.  Do you have all my contact details?

0 Likes

Karl-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 36 of 37

Hi

I'll send a router out to you.  This should arrive in 24-48hrs.

I would advise that you cancel any engineer until you have had a chance to test fully with the new router.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips