cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Slower download speed after renewing contract

notgeo
Participant
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 27 of 27

Hi there,

I was a Fibre 900 data only customer for my initial contract with TalkTalk and my contract was due to expire on the 16th of July. I called in today and renewed my contract for another 18 months, however after the phone call I've noticed my download/upload's dropped to about 10% of the speeds I should be getting. 

Obviously I should be getting around 940mbps (about 850 mbps at the lowest at my location) however it's currently hovering at about 92.45mbps according to Ookla and the TalkTalk speed test.

Confused as to what happened. Is this just the transition period for my contract? Or...? Because as I said, I renewed my contract. It's the same package, same speed. Not sure why it's suddenly dropped to 10% of the speed I'm supposed to be getting.

Even if it IS the transition period - My initial contract was set to end on the 16th of July, surely they can just keep my speeds as is until it all goes through.

I've already tried restarting my PC and the router,

0 Likes
26 REPLIES 26

Message 1 of 27

Morning,

Thanks for the update.

Michelle 🙂

0 Likes

notgeo
Participant
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 27

Hi, so it seems like I've managed to fix it.

I went into my Ethernet settings in Windows 11 and I could see that my Link speed (Receive/Transmit): 100/100 (Mbps)
It was capped to 100 mbps.

So I went into Device Manager > Network Adapters > Intel(R) l211 Gigabit Network Connection > Advanced tab > Speed & Duplex 

and I changed the value from "Auto Negotiation" to "1.0 Gbps Full Duplex" and after restarting my PC I can confirm I'm now getting speeds of 943mbps thankfully.

I have no clue why or how this had changed. I read on Reddit and stuff that even if "Auto Negotiation" is selected, it should automatically pick up the 1gig speed? So I'm not sure why mine was defaulting to 100mbps.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 27

I'm on now from my PC yes

0 Likes

Message 4 of 27

OK thanks. I'm not seeing any devices connected to you eeros by Ethernet cable at the moment, is it still switched on?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 5 of 27

Apologies for the late reply. Yes it is

0 Likes

Message 6 of 27

Hi notgeo,

Is the PC switched on at the moment? 

Chris

0 Likes

Message 7 of 27

Hi, like i've said before in this thread I was getting speeds of around 940mbps. That was the norm I got on my PC. Nothing but the contract has been changed since then. And even then, it was only supposed to renew. But ever since the renewal I'm getting 10% of the speeds I was supposed to get

0 Likes

Message 8 of 27

Hello,

Thanks for trying this. Do you know what speeds the PC is capable of receiving as this can vary between different devices? 

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 9 of 27

I just ran it on my phone and it gave me 347mbps.

And when I run the speed test through the eero app it says 942mbps, yet that speed isn’t mirrored on my PC even though I’m connected via Ethernet with the same cable I used before when I was in fact getting those speeds

0 Likes

Message 10 of 27

Morning,

Thank you for the update. What speeds do you see if you run another speed test on a different device to the PC? 

Thanks

Michelle

Message 11 of 27

Hi, so they contacted me and had me swap out the Wifi Hub 2 super router for the eero I received and once I set it up it tells me i'm getting download speeds of around 939mbps which is perfect. 

However, when I actually carry out a speedtest on my PC (which is now connected via ethernet cable to the new eero modem) I'm still getting the same slow speeds of only 94mbps.

0 Likes

Message 12 of 27

Morning,

I'm sorry to hear this. I've passed this straight over to our Faults Escalation Team now and I'll post back here as soon as they respond. It's possible that the team may also contact you directly.

Thanks

Michelle

Message 13 of 27

Hi, I noticed you did it and I'm sorry to report it's still at those low speeds.

0 Likes

Message 14 of 27

OK, I'll change your profile now

Chris

0 Likes

Message 15 of 27

Yeah that's fine

0 Likes

Message 16 of 27

OK thanks. I'd would like to try to change your line profile to see if it makes any difference to your speed, is it OK to do this now, you may be without service for a few minutes?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 17 of 27

Yeah I used ookla to do a speedtest to see what my speeds were and it was hitting 940-950mpbs consistently. I made the phone call to renew my contract (the same one I had) with a representitive, and it's just been giving me 10% of those speeds ever since. I initially didn't notice until I was downloading something through Steam, I saw the sudden dip in speeds so I went and did a speed test and subsequently made this post. 

0 Likes

Message 18 of 27

OK thanks. Just to confirm, you say that the speeds were OK before you changed contract, did you check the speed just before changing contract? Is there a possibility that the speed has dropped prior to changing contract but you didn't notice it?

Chris

0 Likes

notgeo
Participant
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 19 of 27

I contacted live chat and they got me to reset the router with a pin, reset my router to factory settings, nothing's working. It's still giving me speeds of about 94mbps. It's really annoying because like I've said, prior to renewing my contract I was getting perfect speeds of 950mbps+ and I haven't touched anything since. So there's no reason for things to suddenly stop working. This has been going on for a week now so I'm just lost

0 Likes

Message 20 of 27

I think it's called the Wifi Hub 2 super router?

0 Likes