cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Slower download speed after renewing contract

notgeo
Participant
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 27 of 27

Hi there,

I was a Fibre 900 data only customer for my initial contract with TalkTalk and my contract was due to expire on the 16th of July. I called in today and renewed my contract for another 18 months, however after the phone call I've noticed my download/upload's dropped to about 10% of the speeds I should be getting. 

Obviously I should be getting around 940mbps (about 850 mbps at the lowest at my location) however it's currently hovering at about 92.45mbps according to Ookla and the TalkTalk speed test.

Confused as to what happened. Is this just the transition period for my contract? Or...? Because as I said, I renewed my contract. It's the same package, same speed. Not sure why it's suddenly dropped to 10% of the speed I'm supposed to be getting.

Even if it IS the transition period - My initial contract was set to end on the 16th of July, surely they can just keep my speeds as is until it all goes through.

I've already tried restarting my PC and the router,

0 Likes
26 REPLIES 26

Message 21 of 27

Hi notgeo,

Could I just ask which router you have?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 22 of 27

Hi, so I'd like to preface this with the fact that my ONT's got a "GPON", "POWER" and "ETHERNET" slot. So, I plugged my ethernet cable into the ethernet slot after unplugging the red tipped white ethernet cable that goes from the ONT to my router.

I ran the speedtest again and I'm yet again getting the same low speeds of around 94-95mbps. 

And to answer your question regarding that red tipped white ethernet cable, no I've never replaced or touched that cable up until now when I swapped the ONT plug for my router's ethernet cable. So no, it's still the original one.

Prior to redoing my contract with TalkTalk, I hadn't touched the setup at all, and prior to the renewal I was getting speeds of 940mbps+ just fine. So it's got to be something on their end.

0 Likes

Message 23 of 27

Hi

Can you connect your device wires direct to the ONT, bypassing any router, and see if the speeds are low at this point.

Also, the ethernet Cable from the ONT To your router or first device, have you ever changed this ?

Check the cable and make sure it is Cat5e or higher.  If it is a standard Cat5 Cable, these only support speeds upto 100mb. so the wrong cable can slow things down.  Had a similar issue last week and speeds returned when the customer swapped the cable.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 24 of 27

Hi, I've turned them both off for 30 minutes and after turning them back on the speed is still only 85mbps

0 Likes

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 25 of 27

Hi notgeo

Sorry for the delay.

Did you power down the ONT and router for 30 minutes, has the speed increased?

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 26 of 27

The new contract starts from today, @notgeo - it's a bit like changing tariffs within an energy company,  not like simply renewing insurance from a future start date.

Leave your router and ONT off for at least 30 minutes. Then restart, and it may recover speeds with a new session at the exchange. 

Staff will follow up during the day. 

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes