cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Unresolved adsl broadband fault

Neilson75
Team Player
Private Message
Message 49 of 49

Today, following me noticing our broadband dropping out intermittently and using the service desk fault finder,  Talktalk identified an intermittent fault between the exchange and my house. They duly sent out an openreach engineer to fix it and at about 4pm I got a text from them to say it was fixed. However, the broadband has now permanently dropped out, with the Talktalk hub showing an orange flashing light continuously. I then spend a happy 2 1/2 hours tonight on the online chat trying to explain this, but instead being taken through the internal fault finding checklist (check master socket, reboot router, change cables etc) all of which changed nothing, whilst getting increasingly concerned as the service agent denied the existence of the original fault as "it wasn't on the system". Eventually the service agent agreed to send out another engineer to the house and agreed not to charge me for it. However, this will not happen for another 10 days and it's pretty clear the first engineer caused the issue, so the issue is outside the house. Is there a sensible way to resolve this and get Talktalk to get the Openreach engineer back out to check what was done today and save everybody wasting their time?

0 Likes
48 REPLIES 48

Neilson75
Team Player
Private Message
Message 21 of 49

Okay thanks @Chris-TalkTalk . I'll be back in touch once I've done the test with the new router.

Neil

0 Likes

Message 22 of 49

OK, thanks for the information. I've ordered the router, it should be with your within a couple of days (probably tomorrow) - if you could just test with the new router when it arrives, and if still not working we can arrange the engineer visit

Chris

0 Likes

Neilson75
Team Player
Private Message
Message 23 of 49

@Chris-TalkTalk Thanks. Just to let you know that I just ran the TT service centre live connection test and it tells me that there is a problem with the broadband connection. I then tried to run the line test but it crashed out with a "technical fault". Not sure if this is relevant?

Neil

0 Likes

Message 24 of 49

The router isn't chargeable and there'll be a returns bag to send it back once you've finished testing. I'll order the router now

Chris

0 Likes

Neilson75
Team Player
Private Message
Message 25 of 49

@Chris-TalkTalk . Yes, let's try that first. I'm concerned as your system is now showing no line faults. What's the deal with the new router, is it chargeable and how do I return it to you?

Neil

0 Likes

Message 26 of 49

Hi Neil,

Yes I can send another router to test with, would you like me to arrange this?

Chris

0 Likes

Neilson75
Team Player
Private Message
Message 27 of 49

Thanks @Chris-TalkTalk . My only concern is the validity of testing with old routers, particularly as these were both replaced as they were faulty. Do you have the ability to send a replacement router to confirm the fault? We currently have the Talktalk  Hub (Sagecom FAST 5368-3 T8).

Thanks.

Neil

0 Likes

Message 28 of 49

It will be an Openreach engineer. If you tested with two different routers at the test socket and it still isn't connecting then the probably isn't much else that you can check. If you'd like to go ahead with the engineer visit please let us know

Chris

0 Likes

Neilson75
Team Player
Private Message
Message 29 of 49

@Chris-TalkTalk  I see - so are you proposing a Talktalk engineer visit or one from Openreach? If it's a Talktalk engineer, what exactly are they able to do and/or test for? If there's anything left that I can do first I'd want to do that before any callout. For obvious reasons, I'd be extremely disappointed if the callout turns out to be chargeable as it was clearly triggered by a line fault, given we had a working broadband service prior to the first line fault being identified.

Thanks.

Neil

0 Likes

Message 30 of 49

Hi Neil,

Potential engineer charges are explained here - Engineers charges, if there's a fault on the line then there will be no charge

If you'd like to go ahead with the visit can you provide availability, either AM (8am to 1pm) or PM (1pm to 6pm) between Monday to Friday

Thanks

Chris

0 Likes

Neilson75
Team Player
Private Message
Message 31 of 49

Thanks @Chris-TalkTalk . I don't see what other option there is as the fault appears to be between the exchange and the house. we had connected broadband (apart from brief drop-outs) prior to the first engineer call out and "fix". Please go ahead. I'm assuming this is not chargeable?

Neil

Neil

0 Likes

Message 32 of 49

OK thanks Neil. To investigate further we'll need to arrange another engineer visit. If you'd like us to do this please let us know and we'll confirm some details

Chris

0 Likes

Neilson75
Team Player
Private Message
Message 33 of 49

Hi @Chris-TalkTalk , yes the phone line is fine. We have a dialling tone and can make calls.

Neil

0 Likes

Message 34 of 49

Hi Neil,

Is your telephone service working OK, do you have a dial tone?

Chris

0 Likes

Neilson75
Team Player
Private Message
Message 35 of 49

Hi @Michelle-TalkTalk Yes, the router was connected to the test socket. I've now tried a couple of old routers and still no connection with either. Whereas the Talktalk hub shows an orange flashing light continuously, the older (Netgear and Billion) routers show no signs of trying to connect/sync at all. It's as though there is no broadband signal on the line. As this happened after the first engineer's attempt to fix the line fault, it it possible we were disconnected at the exchange and not reconnected?

Thanks.

Neil

0 Likes

Message 36 of 49

Morning,

I'm sorry to hear this. I can see that the line test is now clear. Is the router currently connected at the test socket and do you have an alternative router that you could test with?

Thanks

0 Likes

Neilson75
Team Player
Private Message
Message 37 of 49

Hi @Debbie-TalkTalk , not sure what you can see on the system, but I now have messages from Talktalk to say the engineer has rectified the fault, but we still have no broadband connection. Still the the continously flashing orange light on the hub.

Neil

0 Likes

Message 38 of 49

Hi Neil

Apologies for this.

If the line test shows a potential line fault (external fault) then I would always pass this to Openreach to be investigated by a line engineer.

I will keep you updated as soon as I receive further updates.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Neilson75
Team Player
Private Message
Message 39 of 49

@Debbie-TalkTalk Thank you for getting it this far so quickly.

It's a pity I wasn't able to persuade the service agent to go down this route yesterday. I guess they're working from a fixed script which doesn't give them much wriggle room (and doesn't work in some cases!).

Neil

0 Likes

Message 40 of 49

Hi Neil

Thanks for confirming your details.

I have cancelled the TalkTalk engineer visit and escalated the line fault back over to Openreach to be investigated by a line engineer.

We should receive further updates within the next 48hrs. I will also monitor the fault for additional updates.

Thanks

Debbie