cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

WIFI OPTIMISATION

Chris1012
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 134 of 134

I recently switched to Talktalk broadband and I'm having issues with WIFI optimisation and channel hopping causing certain devices to disconnect from the WIFI network. From reading these pages I understand that a Talktalk employee can disable this feature on my router? Please can this be actioned?

0 Likes
133 REPLIES 133

Message 1 of 134

Hi

It does sound as though this engineer has been a bit more thorough and hopefully this will be resolved soon.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 134

Hi Karl,

I've just spoken to the engineer. He found more severely corroded wires in the street cabinet, which he said was a complete mess and the whole cabinet would need to be replaced. He also said the fibre board would need to be replaced since the upload was causing a massive number of critical errors and these were causing the router disconnects. He has put requests in for both of the these jobs. Not sure why it has taken at least 4 engineers to diagnose these issues, but I'm somewhat hopeful that the problems of the past ~3 months might now be fixed!

0 Likes

Message 3 of 134

Hi

OK, please let me know if the situation changes.

Regards,

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 134

Hi Karl,

Thanks for the update. I had more VDSL dropouts yesterday evening and the router log showed 5 dropouts between ~10.30pm and 11.00pm, making 13 dropouts in total yesterday (better than the 96 dropouts on Tuesday!). What I don't understand is that the connection was stable for ~4 weeks after the 3rd engineer visit at the end of June and then the dropouts started again at the end of July. This issue has been ongoing since the start of May, so it's about time it was fixed!

I've just had a call from the engineer to ask what the issue is and that he will start investigating, hopefully this time the fault can be fixed for good.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 134

Hi

This has been assigned to an engineer this morning as they can see errors are above threshold, and the engineer will soon be dispatched.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

Message 6 of 134

Afternoon,

I'm really sorry to hear this. I've escalated this straight back to Openreach now and we'll monitor and keep you updated on the progress.

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 7 of 134

Hi Michelle,

The VDSL dropouts have started again this morning - from ~10.30am until ~11.00am I've had 7 dropouts, so what the Openreach engineer did yesterday hasn't fixed the fault. Please can you raise this again with Openreach and get it sorted once and for all?

0 Likes

Message 8 of 134

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the update. They didn't advise what the specific fault was, just that they cleared the fault. I'll re-check your connection stats again on Monday morning just to make sure that everything is still looking ok.

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 9 of 134

Hi Michelle,

Thanks for getting back to me. The connection stabilised around lunchtime yesterday after being unusable for ~6 hours. Have Openreach given any indication as to what was the cause of the fault? There has been an ongoing issue since May with hundreds of VDSL disconnections (not great since I only joined TT in April!). I've had 3 Openreach engineer visits in May/June and had hoped that the last one had actually fixed the fault, but it appears not. I can only hope that Openreach have at last fixed the fault and I can get the service from TT that I'm paying for!

0 Likes

Message 10 of 134

Morning Chris,

We've received an update to advise that Openreach have cleared and closed the fault and DLM has been reset. How is your connection at the moment.

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 11 of 134

Hi @Chris1012 

The fault was assigned to an Openreach line engineer this morning. We should hopefully have further updates later this afternoon.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 12 of 134

Hi Michelle,

Is there nothing you can do to stabilise the connection? I've had ~100 VDSL dropouts since 6.30am, so the internet has been unavailable for the past ~5 hours since the router disconnects every few minutes.

0 Likes

Message 13 of 134

Hello,

Apologies, not sure why it's still showing this. I'll let you know as soon as I have an update from Openreach.

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 14 of 134

Thanks Michelle,

I tried to run a connection test through my TT account, but all it came up with was a previous open case saying I had an engineer visit booked for 25 June, which is long gone!

0 Likes

Message 15 of 134

Morning,

I'm really sorry to hear this. The line test has detected a potential external line fault so I've passed this straight over to Openreach now for an external line investigation to be completed. I'll check first thing in the morning for an update and will post back here.

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 16 of 134

Hi Chris,

As you suggested, the router has been plugged in to the test socket since 31 July. I’ve had a few dropouts over the past ~10 days, however, this morning the internet is unusable with CONSTANT VDSL dropouts. Between 6.30am and 8.30am I’ve counted over 33! There is obviously something very wrong with my connection, please can you get it sorted since this has been ongoing since the start of May! 

0 Likes

Message 17 of 134

OK thanks Chris. If it continues to drop we'll book another engineer

Chris

0 Likes

Message 18 of 134

Hi Chris,

I've switched over to the test socket. When the connection drops again I'll let you know and we can arrange the 4th OR engineer visit. I'm getting to the point where I think I should be allowed to leave my contract without any early termination charge because this fault has been ongoing for ~3 months and I've only been with Talktalk for 4 months!!

0 Likes

Message 19 of 134

I think it's still worth testing at the test socket, if the connection then continue we can book another engineer visit

Chris

0 Likes

Message 20 of 134

Hi Chris,

The router is plugged in to the master socket (not test socket) and has been like this since the 3rd OR engineer visit on 25 June. I've previously used the test socket, a replacement router, etc, etc, and nothing I did in the house made any difference to the dropouts. The 3rd OR engineer reported "Fault identified in D-side between PCP and DP. Resolved by changing pair node to node" and the line was stable for ~month afterwards, but the drop outs started again in the last few days.

0 Likes