cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Wifi Booster

Neilash
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 18 of 18

Why is my Wifi booster not linking to the router. I need to turn the router off then back on again to link them. Pressing the WPS buttons on both the router and booster does not link the booster, it flashes Red & White for waiting to be paired then Flashing Red on the signal, with a solid white on Wifi light.

I've tried linking the router and booster literally a foot or so apart to 10 feet or more apart. 

Neil Ashforth
0 Likes
17 REPLIES 17

Message 1 of 18

Hi

Glad to hear that it's resolved.  If anything does reoccur, you know where we live 🙂

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 18

Hi Michelle I think the problem is now fixed , or at least isn't occurring. I received a new Router from Talktalk and with that and fine tuning the bandwidths for the two channels the problem hasn't re-occurred fingers crossed.

Think we can say that this post is now closed!

Neil Ashforth
0 Likes

Message 3 of 18

Hello,

Thank you for the update and please let us know how you get on and if this is still happening following this.

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 4 of 18

Hi Keith - I'm just confirming that my Router has software version SG4K100174 to give it it's full title.

I've had to switch off the router and back on again and the booster has connected with the router but for how long it remains connected I don't know. I'll try resetting the booster and follow your WPS button pressing guidance as and when I need to reconnect the booster.

Neil Ashforth
0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 5 of 18

Hi @Neilash 

OK, thank you for confirming that you have a V1 266, which currently, cannot work with V202 firmware on the router. It must run on V174, until such times as the extender updates its firmware to V1046.8. Only then can the router be updated to V202. Before doing anything else, please check your router firmware version now & unless it is on V174, please respond here & I will ask TalkTalk to update it for you.

I did say back in post #5 that setting up the WPS often fails because people press the WPS button on the extender for too long.

The first thing to do is to perform a factory reset on the 266 via the reset button on the rear. With it turned on, press & hold in for about 10 seconds the small reset switch on the rear of the 266 between the on/off button & the power connection.

Then follow the procedure exactly as I mentioned in my post 5, which for your convenience I will repeat below:-

Now to the WPS connection, pressing the WPS button on the booster for too long will cause the connection to fail. This is what I recommend:-

1. On startup, the Power LED on the 266 booster will go white and after a while the Signal LED will start to flash red & the Wi-Fi light is off.
  2. At this point hold in the WPS button on the router for about 3 seconds, when released the router’s LED should start flashing orange.
  3. Next press the WPS button on the 266 for just about 1 second. The Signal light continues to flash red, but now the Wi-Fi light flashes white.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Message 6 of 18

Hi Michelle - the Wifi booster I have is the Sagecom Fast 266 - probably the V1 model as it has three indicator lights on the front. 

Still having problems - lost connection with the router and tried reconnecting them by pressing the WPS on both router and booster with the booster in the same room as the router. Will not link. Only way to link them is turn off router then restart.

Also experiencing some dropout's in Wifi to my Alexa.

Neil Ashforth
0 Likes

Message 7 of 18

Hi @Neilash 

Which WIFI booster did you receive? I can see that Keith has asked this too in his last message?

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 8 of 18

Hi @Neilash 

I have received those two PMs, thanks very much.

I still need to know which version of the F266 WiFi Booster you have,  is it the one with three status lights, or the later model that just has one? I am assuming that it is the new V2 one as the Extenders WiFi Mesh sub-tab, only has mention of the F5464 & not the F266.

The reason for this is that the router needs to be using firmware V202, yours is only on V174.

I will ask TalkTalk to push this to your router, but they won't be back here until Monday.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 9 of 18

That is normally a temporary bug in the forum software. Try to send me a PM again.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 10 of 18

Hi Keith - sent you a couple of DM's but I get a message saying I've reached y limit for private messages for today so don't know if you've received them - and by the way I haven't sent any private messages recently let alone today so don't know what TalkTalk are on about. 

Neil Ashforth
0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 11 of 18

Hi @Neilash 

@Michelle-TalkTalk maybe made a typo in that last reply, she really meant to say my post #5 above.

Which version of 266 booster do you have, the one with three status lights, or the later model that just has one? I have had lots of experience with these boosters. If my procedure there, where the common mistake of pressing the booster's WPS button for too long a duration, is not the cause, then I need more information from the router as detailed below:-

Please go to:-

Dashboard > See Wi-Fi Settings > Manage Advanced Settings > Wi-Fi 5Ghz gear icon > Wi-Fi Mesh tab & then go to the Extenders sub-tab & get me a screenshot of that page and include that in a PM to me (to preserve your privacy).

Next, go to the system log from the router via:-

Dashboard > See internet settings > Manage advanced settings > TalkTalk Wi-Fi Hub > Maintenance > Logs

Navigate your way through the logs until you find the period when the booster connects and subsequently the period when it disconnects. In each case, copy and paste the contents of each page & add that to the PM to me. There will most likely be loads of DNS entries in the logs which can be ignored, but the simplest thing for you is to include everything from those periods & I will sort it all out for you.

The information below is provided by TalkTalk, for confirmation please contact @Debbie-TalkTalk or@Michelle-TalkTalk.

KeithFrench is one of our valued Community Stars and can help with a range of issues related to wireless and networking. At times he may ask you to send him test results via a Private Message to help analyse/diagnose an issue. Although Keith does not work for TalkTalk, he very kindly shares his time and knowledge to help with others.

If you need further help or, if we need to take any details such as personal information about your account like phone numbers, account numbers etc. one of the TalkTalk team will jump in and help out.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 12 of 18

Hi Neil,

Thank you. Did you also see Keith's post below?

Michelle

Message 13 of 18

Michelle - if I turn the router off then on again the booster will link but once the booster loses the link, it's then impossible to link the booster unless I switch the router off and on. The booster has just been provided by Talktalk about two months ago.

So No it doesn't link for a short time then disconnect, it simply will no link unless the router is switched off and on again. 

Neil Ashforth
0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 14 of 18

Hi @Neilash 

The first thing to do is to check the router's firmware, it must be between V158 & V174 currently.

Have you disabled WPS within the router's UI? This is a perfectly normal thing to do, as WPS itself does have some vulnerabilities associated with it. These are down to the WPS service, nothing to do with TalkTalk. Disabling it is fine, that is what I always do. However, when you do need to use WPS, it can be frustrating if you forget to re-enable it! 

Now to the WPS connection, pressing the WPS button on the booster for too long will cause the connection to fail. This is what I recommend:-

1. On startup, the Power LED on the 266 booster will go white and after a while the Signal LED will start to flash red & the Wi-Fi light is off.
  2. At this point hold in the WPS button on the router for about 3 seconds, when released the router’s LED should start flashing orange.
  3. Next press the WPS button on the 266 for just about 1 second. The Signal light continues to flash red, but now the Wi-Fi light flashes white.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 15 of 18

Hi,

Just to confirm, it links for a short time then disconnects again? How long have you had the wifi booster for?

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 16 of 18

Thanks Michelle but the help guide is available online and doesn't explain why the WiFi booster won't link with my router unless I switch off the router then turn it back on again!

Neil Ashforth

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 17 of 18

Good morning,

I'm sorry to hear this. I've included a Help Guide below,

Troubleshooting for your Wi-Fi Booster - TalkTalk Help & Support

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes